Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • I have no idea what my next bike should be and its really annoying.
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

im running 120mm Reba’s with Maxle. I put in as much pressure as I dare as my weight goes a wee bit over their highest recommended setting.. (insert blushing emoticon)

Thanks for the input guys. I have to agree with DanW above.. I need to get out and practice more, my manual skills are rubbish for a start – but im getting there slowly.

I am now also officially booked to see Jedi again in December!

However, ive got an itchy trigger finger over this puppy! :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-camber-elite-frame-Large-Amazing-condition-/271272353467

seanthesheap
    Free Member

No probs, have fun choosing a new one though.

DanW
    Free Member

The ebay link seems like quite a lot of money for a second hand alu frame although it does look very nice. Logic should play no part in the desire to buy a new bike/ frame though so don’t worry about justifying it in any way let alone as some kind of mechanism to improving your riding* 😀

*So long as no children will go hungry or divorce ensues as a result

Northwind

I would not buy that Camber, too expensive (and frankly not very good, mine got sold pretty quick, felt like it was about 5 degrees too steep, and it’s not a light or particularily good pedalling frame either, they’re decent seen in isolation but then you ride a stumpy evo and realise it’s not much heavier, barely any less good climbing, and about a million times better at going downwards…

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a fatbike! 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

Northwind, the reviews are so positive for the Camber, im surprised to hear you found the geometry steep but thanks for your thoughts. Out if interest what would you suggest would be that frames true value? (If u actually liked it!)

TBH, I’d be tempted to go for something around the 150mm mark, with a decently damped fork and a good platform shock, it wont hinder you on the ups and will have that bit in reserve for the downs.

I’m a Spesh fan and wouldn’t go for that Camber either

slimjim78
    Free Member

That camber no good at £500 then?

The stumpy looks good but a little beaten up, plus if i went for a 26er frame i could transfer most of my parts and keep the cost down. If i go 650b or 29er its likely to be a new bike i guess

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

Northwind, the reviews are so positive for the Camber, im surprised to hear you found the geometry steep but thanks for your thoughts. Out if interest what would you suggest would be that frames true value? (If u actually liked it!)

It’s not actually that steep, IIRC it was somewhere 68 degrees-ish. But it rode steep/front-endy, point it down something steep and it all went wrong. Good at trailcentre stuff mind. Did improve when I replaced the useless divey Fox fork but even then it wasn’t great. YMMV of course but it just felt a pointless compromise when even Specialized have bikes that outperform it at everything- you’d tolerate the descending manners if it was great on the way up but it was very average at that too. Very disappointing, it looked like a good idea.

£500 is probably a reasonable price in market terms, I sold my Pro frame for a little more, though it was in better nick, with a better shock (and a less disgusting colour 😉 ) But I wouldn’t buy it at any price, personally. Stumpy is a better bike. Stumpy Evo is a hilariously better bike.

slimjim78
    Free Member

erm.. should I be considering a 456 Evo Ti in this mix?

Jeffus
    Free Member

Orange 5 would be my recommendation easy to get used to and go down hill with ease which will do your confidence good and help you push further, and combine it with a couple of skills courses you will be flying.
    I had one for a couple of years really helped give me confidence. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I have no idea what my next bike should be and its really annoying.’ is closed to new replies.