• This topic has 60 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • i have lost the urge to offroad.. ;o(
  • ton

never ever thought this would happen. been riding offroad since 1979, firstly on a old tourer with the local ctc, and on a mtb since 1985.
    never ever owned a proper roadbike, just tourers and mtb’s.
    i did a offroad ride one day last week, and hated it. i struggled the whole way round, couldnt relax at all and enjoy it. kept thinking i was gonna fall off on the slightest obstacle.
    i thought i must have just been having a offday, so decided to do another offroad ride the next day…..i changed my mind and went out for a proper relaxing back lane spin on the tourer.
    since my problems over the last few year, i thought i would have been tearing at the bit to get going offroad again…but i aint happening.

anyone else lost the offroad bug?

zippykona

Buy a fat bike.They are cheap and offer something totally different.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Is it ONLY the off road bug you’ve lost, or have you lost other mojo’s in other areas? Other hobbies, general interests?

I wouldn’t fret too much though, if you’ve been doing something for many years then it is quite natural to want to do something else for a change. It’ll come back I’m sure!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I waft between mtb,road and bmx/4x.
    When I get a bit bored with one I move over to one of the others.
    Been like that for about 20 years.Could’nt just do one exclusively.

bubs

Sounds like new bike time. Something a bit different.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I bought a fat bike to try and get myself back into riding. It a appears to be working.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have to admit I can’t be bothered with the MTB or going on the road/cross at the moment. I am enjoying riding bmx though. For me, I can’t be bothered with the faff to sort all my kit, drive etc. I’m sure my mojo will come back at some point.

We are all different and that’s a good thing 🙂 Find something that makes you happy, that’s all that matters.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I lost the will to ride off road locally recently even on the fatty as it was mech eating muddy so just reverted to double track/cyclways and broke out the road bike. Any cycling is better than no cycling just do what you’re enjoying and font worry about what you think folk may think of you. It may be that one day you fancy some mild off road trails or even an uplift day on a hire bike!

jamj1974

Sounds more like lost confidence than mojo. When you haven’t been able to ride properly for a long time, it could be hard to maintain the skills base and the confidencein that skills base. Have you got some riding buddies that can ride with you to encourage and support you?

garage-dweller

Sounds like it might be partly a confidence issue to me if you’ve not been off road a lot for a while.

So long as you’re still enjoying yourself it doesn’t really matter how.

I remember a few years back there was an American sportsman who completed at pro level in one sport (think it was skiing), had little left he wanted to achieve so totally packed in that sport and moved on to sailing. When I first heard about it I thought it was odd but then it kind of made sense.

Could there be an element of that for you? Maybe nothing else to achieve off road but still stuff to see and explore and do from a touring perspective?

Trekster

Same here Ton, on a bit of a downer… Implemented a few ongoing changes for this year and hope to get the mtb mojo back before Septembers trip to Bubion 😆
    Treated myself to one of these; http://www.urbancyclery.co.uk/products/ridley-2016-x-trail-c30 and it is magic, just need some decent weather, free time etc to get out on it…. Roll on Thurs, rain, hail or shine I have a ride planned.

monkeychild – Member
    I have to admit I can’t be bothered with the MTB or going on the road/cross at the moment. I am enjoying riding bmx though. For me, I can’t be bothered with the faff to sort all my kit, drive etc. I’m sure my mojo will come back at some point.

Unfortunately I’m too old and stiff for BMX and it hadn’t been invented when I was a boy!!!!!!

loddrik – Member
    Me. Mainly because I have to drive an hour to get anywhere worth riding.

Luckily I have Ae & Mabie within biking distance 😆 The Ridley is capable of doing most of the singletrack stuff I think.

loddrik
    Free Member

Me. Mainly because I have to drive an hour to get anywhere worth riding.

garage-dweller

Oh and one other thought the trails are really really crappy in a lot of places at the minute. Without a riding group I wouldn’t be nearly as bothered!

scotroutes

Pretty much gone the opposite way for me. I was looking at some statistics from a couple of years back and “forgot” I used to go out on the road bike and knock of centuries just for fun of an afternoon. Carbon road bike and Ti tourer now get very little use and the latter only really when I’ve fitted CX tyres. I expect the wheel will turn some time in the future and it’ll be back to more road stuff again.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes Ton, I lost the off road bug about three or four years ago and have yet to get it back.

It’d be nice to move somewhere where it’s possible to ride good offroad from the doorstep; I think this helps.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I bought a cannondale 29er fitted it with some fast tyres and mainly ride up around Waskerly and the upper Durham Dales on old railway lines. Ever since I came off at Kildale and broke my ribs and generally bashed every surface of my body. I choose not to road ride due to assh4t motorists. So when I have to ride on the road to link sections I’m a bit slower on the 29er but I’m not bothered. I find mountain bikes more comfortable to ride than racers. One thing that definitely happens when you get older is it takes longer to heal! I don’t ride to hit fastest times on strava I ride to get out of the house and see the countryside and de stress. Ride what you want when you want all riding is good!

crapjumper
    Free Member

TON , it’s been just on 2 years here since i put a leg over any of my bikes . No injuries or illness to blame , just felt one day like a switch had been turned off and couldn’t be arsed with it . I keep looking at the bikes and thinking i’ll get out at the weekend but never do . So at least you’re not alone

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I re-discovered road riding maybe 3 years ago, after riding exclusively off road for 15+ years (does that make me a Born-Again MAMIL?). Got sick of the driving and hassle needed to ride uninspiring trails. MTB has been getting used maybe half a dozen times a year – trips to Wales or North Downs, exotic holidays, so quality not quantity, but otherwise all about the road. This year, for the first time ever, our big holiday will be road riding not MTBing.

I still love road riding but this last ‘winter’ I got into CX racing. And at the risk of joining a club I’ve just bought a fat bike and have re-discovered my off-road Mojo. Back to basics riding on a relatively cheap rigid bike which doesn’t need loads of TLC, makes tame trails fun and it’s hard to take yourself seriously on them (and if your slow it’s the bike’s fault, right? 😉 ).

As long as you’ve got A mojo, doesn’t matter whether it’s off road, on road, touring, singlespeed, BMX, or even rambling – if it gets you out there and active – I’m sure it’ll come back at some point.

flap_jack
    Free Member

It happens to me every year at this time. TBH, now I’m old, I only like off-road when it’s warm and dry.

jekkyl

Don’t let the door slam on the way out.

pitduck
    Free Member

” TBH, now I’m old, I only like off-road when it’s warm and dry. “…<this 😀

nano
    Free Member

Had my first off road ride in 3 years on Friday after being on the road on various other bikes since then.

I got back into road riding to keep my OH company as she does long course triathlon and Ironman and found I enjoyed it more. I was building a Sherpa up while all of this was going on and that project got put on the back burner and then stolen.

Fast forward to this year (the Sherpa was recovered as I think it was a bit too rare to offload for the thief) and I got around to finishing it and actually road the thing around the local trails this week and we’re off to the Forest of Dean next week.

My take for the OP.. a change is as good as a rest. Leave the MTB for a while and come back to it and rediscover what you’re missing maybe?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does sound a bit like confidence, after a couple of lay off’s I’ve either been fine or terrible. It’s one of those unpredictable things and when you have a bad day it’s tough to go out and potentially have another one. Try heading somewhere new or different (I’d always avoid going to the favourites/special places as a bad day there can kill off what you like about it)
    See if you have a better roll out there, one of my goto spots was whinlatter blue and the lower bit of the south, nothing hard or that challenging, great views and a fun flowing trail to let the bike roll up to speed on. Really helped to remember why it was fun.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got 4 MTB’s hung up in the garage and all I’ve ridden this year is the cross bike. Riding off road on 31mm 85psi tyres with no suspension and drop bars has given me a whole new challenge.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ve been here before haven’t you Ton? Or was that riding in general?

I seem to remember you had motivation issues anyway.

If riding off road is something you feel you should be doing in spite of yourself then it’s a simple case of mtfu.

mlke
    Free Member

Focus on the roading for a while and return to offroad when you feel the itch.
    Be amazed by your fitness…
    ….and lack of skillz 🙂

ineedabeer
    Free Member

At the minute I have totally lost the will to get off road myself, I think its the constant cleaning, maintainence and having to drive to decent trails. One day I may come back to it but the appeal aint there at the moment for me, I now love the road, no driving less cleaning and maintainence and best of all just go out the front door and your off!

solarider
    Free Member

Road riding is sometimes more appealing. Ride straight from the door. Less kit cleaning. Simpler to maintain. Faster.

But having lost my off road mojo for a while, I recently found it again and OK I have to jump in the car to reach trails, and OK I spend almost as much time cleaning up me and the bike afterwards as I did riding, but I had forgotten how enjoyable a good ride into stunning countryside without cars can be. And (as my aching limbs now testify) it gives you an all over workout. After years of sitting in one position on the road, I had forgotten how strenuous off road riding can be.

The mojo returned for me with a FS bike purchase after going out with friends on the hardtail a few months ago and getting left for dust. In some ways an expensive risk and a brave move to regain off road mojo, but it worked.

Stick with it. Road and off road cycling give you different pleasures and both have their place. You might not feel it now, and don’t beat yourself up over that. It may return, or it may not, but in the meantime just enjoy cycling on whatever and wherever you fee like. That’s the main thing.

This is without a doubt the grimmest time of year to keep the off road mojo alive. Trails are boggy. Bike cleaning is a pain. Tough on gear. But just think of those warm dusty days to come (you know, all 3 of them!).

_tom_
    Free Member

It comes and goes for me, one month I’ll be loving mtb and the next I can go without and stick to the roads. Usually try and get a happy balance – if I have 2 days off I’ll try and do one mtb one road. Usually ends up both road as I don’t always want to waste 45 mins in the car driving to decent trails. I’m sure it’ll come back for you at some point, but until then just keep enjoying what you’re enjoying. And if it doesn’t, who cares? No point doing something just because you feel obliged to.

cookeaa

It’s Grrrrraaaaavel time! Innit.

If the bias of your riding is shifting don’t worry, go with it, if you like tourers but still want to at least have the option to dabble in offroadery maybe look at something with drop bars that can put up with mud and the odd bump…

MrOvershoot

Other than riding to the shops @ the weekend or the odd 1/2 hour on my spinning bike I just can’t be arsed with all the kit faffage.

I’ve never been the most confident rider and have bashed myself up crashing due to being tense and making stupid mistakes. These days I also have to consider my role as a carer which is probably one of the main reasons I don’t get out much

I have a fat bike arriving next week in a spending my way to motivation effort as I have beaches in easy riding distance?

Trimix
    Free Member

I bought a new cross country mtb and cant stop riding it. I also had a go at a couple of CX races, one I hated the other was good fun. Been riding a road bike at night while the Chilterns is too wet for the mtb.

Entered a few XC races and orienteering events to look forward to, and a trip to Afan soon.

All of it good fun as its with mates.

I think the secret is to mix it up but do it with mates. We even have a fry up post ride so we can talk bollocks about the ride while stuffing our faces with egg and bacon baps cooked out of the back of the van at the trail start.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden off road since August. Both my mtb’s are 26″ full susses, I subscribe to the mag but find I’m feeling left behind by all these changing standards, doesn’t feel like the mag or the sport is talking to me anymore.
    I’m enjoying my road riding at the moment after nearly twenty yrs of off road, so maybe I needed a change?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I still enjoy going off road,in fact that aspect of my cycling had a bit of a renaissance last year.For the first time since 2007 I went back to the Alps, Les Arcs for a week & when I got back joined a bike club.I don’t know if it’s an age related thing but my confidence has definitely dropped,I came back from Les Arcs with whiplash & aged 54 decided I’m getting to old for throwing myself down trails,so whilst I enjoy the MTB as much as I always did I find I’m getting out of my ‘comfort zone’on stuff I used to enjoy.
    That said, I’ve been invited to a day at Antur Stiniog in a couple of weeks.That should answer my doubts 😯

dknwhy

I’m lacking motivation too. Time of year innit? Cold, windy, wet, dark or everything at once.
    Lately, I’ve stuck some Jones bars on my xc 29er and seem to be happy mooching around on 10-15 mile loops on quiet roads and stuff.

It’ll come back…

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Maybe you think about your riding to much yes its been the wettest winter down in Gloucestershire on record yet yesterday down the Forest of dean it was the driest its been since mid October wonderfull great conditions and today took out the Husky for the first time this year even better but abit muddier .Dont think buying a fat bike will solve your problem.

ton

read all the replies…cheers.
    it might be a seasonal thing, dont think i i lost my love for riding tho…been out with the good lady today, 25 lovely pottering miles and a few nice ales too.

think i put too much pressure on myself sometimes, if i dont ride i feel guilty, which i know is wrong.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If it hadn’t have been for you Tony, I wouldn’t have been out on any bike for ages. My mate’s ‘training’, my son’s ‘training’ & all I want to do is pootle round on a nice day!
    You out next Sunday?

ton

deffo Jim. fb’d you

postierich
    Free Member

whats not to like 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/EbeTsE]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘i have lost the urge to offroad.. ;o(’ is closed to new replies.