Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I have just been scammed on Ebay.
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Sorry for the war and peace on a Sunday but thought this might help someone who gets stung by this scam.

Just been scammed on Ebay.

“Won” an auction for a new Garmin car satnav.

Seller had decent positive feedback at about 70 but had only been on Ebay since January 2015.

The other day I received a letter by registered post which appeared to be a download code for a PC game, this had the sellers Ebay name on it. The address was slightly wrong, the letter was addressed to number 7 on my road instead of number 70, but my postie is pretty good and delivered it to me.

I thought that he had just made a mistake and got his buyers mixed up, this has happened to me before and it was sorted out quickly by a genuine seller.

However, I went on Ebay to contact the seller and found his feedback had changed very quickly! In the last few days, loads of negative from buyers who had ordered various electronics and just received letters, a lot wrongly addressed! All in the last few days.

So I assume the scam is meant to work like this, build up some good feedback selling genuine stuff, then try to con people by getting proof of delivery by sending a registered letter to a slightly wrong address. When challenged suggest your neighbour has kept your goods.

I am not too worried and expect to get a full refund from Paypal, just a nuisance I hope.

Cougar

Could be a hacked account, perhaps?

ampthill

Interested to know how this pans out.

Could be a hacked account could be some one got desperate and went for broke.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well after the standard 7 days to allow the seller to respond, which he obviously didn’t, I got a full refund from Ebay no questions asked.

I guess it could’ve been a hacked account or just someone trying it on.

skids
    Free Member

doubt it’s a hacked account, why send letters? Sounds like some moron attempting the worst scam ever

spooky_b329

I’m a bit unclear on the incorrect address thing…he would still get a proof of delivery if he sent it to the correct address. I suppose he would hope it would buy him some time before the negative feedback started rolling in and foiled his game…

kcal

The payment for the registered post would say letter / package, though? most odd.

nairnster
    Free Member

So what was the actual download? Garmin sat nav maps?

Clever advert wording?

gobuchul
    Free Member

So what was the actual download? Garmin sat nav maps?

Clever advert wording?

the download was aPC game on Steam.

I’m a bit unclear on the incorrect address thing.

It was mentioned in other negative feedback on Ebay. I guess that most got delivered despite the wrong address. Even if delivery was attempted would you sign for a registered letter that was addressed to someone you didn’t know at your address?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Even if delivery was attempted would you sign for a registered letter that was addressed to someone you didn’t know at your address?

I bet loads of people just sign for something the postie thrusts at them without looking.

Cougar

Moreover, you sign before receiving the post, do you not?

jekkyl

a game from steam you say? which game?
    email on profile Op. ;o)

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well the Steam download codes are:

Mad Max key: SDW3J-T5MKG-78DCW
    Mad Max The Reaper key: MHJEF-QJH6X-097DW

I doubt they are real and I haven’t tried them. Look too short to me.

If your quick they might just work…….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I have just been scammed on Ebay.’ is closed to new replies.