Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I have heard one of the saddest things ever today.
  • juan
    Free Member

I was wondering toward the till at the local fnac (something hald was between virgin, waterstone and curry’s) when i over heard a man talking to his son.
    Dad: no you won’t, you’ll have what I buy you and that it.
    At this point I found it was sad enough that the dad’s reaction to an apparent tantrum was not to tell him he will have nowt. But no. The following of it left me gob-smacked
    Dad: actually you’ll have what I’ll buy you if you succeed your BAC(french final exam when you’re in college), if you fail your BAC, you’ll have a bicycle.

Now I am wondering what kind of second class citizen I am.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I would have taken the spoiled little brat and sold it into slavery in Saudi Arabia.

I’ll never forget the middle-class mum asking her spoilt red-faced little toddler ‘Do you want another prawn??’

I said ‘I’ll have it if he doesn’t want it’, but she din’t look very amused. 😳

Prawns indeed. I was lucky if I got a clip round the ear, at that age.

And I were grateful….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Prawns indeed. I was lucky if I got a clip round the ear, at that age

Interesting diet that is, a plate full of clip round the lug hole.

middle-class

&

prawn??

Hmm, One Grandfather worked in the pit, the other the Shipyard, My dad worked in the modern day equivalent of the shipyard, the rig yard, I worked in the shipyard too. I’d also had prawns, was I middle class? Does it matter?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well this was the Eighties, and tbh, prawns were a lot more spensive relatively than they are now. Normal scum like me coon’t afford prawns. And she was a middle-class person. We had those round here in the Eighties too. Does it matter? Well, it just seemed funny to me, a council estate scrote. Incongruous with my own experience.

Poor people in the East End used to eat oysters. Now they’re very very spensive and not really something that poor folk tend to eat very often, if at all.

Times change.

GW
    Free Member

Similar story here Paul

growing up in a fishing town I got free prawns (and crab and lobster etc.) most of my childhood.

clueless Londoners 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but how much did you have to spend to come and enjoy some art and culture though, eh?

Eh?

See, so be quiet.

Clueless yokels….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Times change.

They do, however, being middle class seems like some sort of crime, why so?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Where on Earth did I say it was?

I merely found amusement in the fact that here was this spoilt little child being offered something I would have seen as quite a ‘luxury’ item at the time, as a small snack, much the same way ‘indigenous’ East End folk might have given a small child a sweet or a chip or something oh I don’t know, and the child turning it’s nose up at it.

Juan’s thread is about some kids being ‘luckier’ economically than other kids, but not realising/appreciating it.

That is all.

GW
    Free Member

**** all.
    Art, history, tourism, culture, the coast, countryside all in abundance without traveling anywhere but if you’re talking about the City equivalent it was a 20min train ride and too short for the ticket inspectors to ever bother 😉

GW
    Free Member

I took Juan’s post to be about the sadness he felt hearing that being given a bike was considered a punishment.

you seem to be a really weird kind of snob. 😕

juan
    Free Member

I took Juan’s post to be about the sadness he felt hearing that being given a bike was considered a punishment.

That was what I meant thank you sir.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

you seem to be a really weird kind of snob.

No, you and paulsoxo have chosen to interpret my comments as ‘snobbish’, that’s all. Seriously, it’s in your head. Nowhere else.

Cheeze Louise; we were talking about spoilt kids. You’re imagining I’m making some sort of attack on the Middle Classes. Doughnuts. Where did I say owt derogatory or hateful ffs? Get over yerself.

As for life experiences; I’m sure I enjoyed all sorts of things as a kid youse din’t, and vice-versa. As for foods; youse lived near the places where stuff was brought in, hence it was far more readily available to youse, that’s all.

To someone like me, growing up where I did, prawns were relatively quite spensive, and not as readily available as they are today. Geddit?

That is all. Stop getting yer knickers in a twist and making mountains out of molehills!

You silly Billies….

julianwilson
    Free Member

Warm out today, isn’t it?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You really don’t seem keen on the middle classes though!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-would-happen-if-the-regular-posters-on-stw-forum-met-in-the-pub

Elfinsafety – Member

I’ll be in the beer garden with a cigar, if anyone would care to join me.

I’ll join you for a ciggie, but you can guarantee there’ll be some bloody sanctimonious middle-class parents with their spoilt brats moaning about the smoke even though you’re outside and they drive a planet-raping Chelsea Tractor, eh Flashy?

We could just blow smoke in their precious childrens’ faces…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh, I see you have no sense of humour. Oh whell.

Get over yerself ffs. Half my flipping family are middle class. Mind, I can’t stand them so you might have a point actually…

If you actually bothered reading my posts above carefully, you might spot that I used the term ‘scum’ to describe myself, as well as ‘council estate scrote’. Neither particularly nice expressions.

I spose now you’re gonna say I hate poor people too. 😐

Warm out today, isn’t it?

😆

ivantate
    Free Member

Reverse snobbery is becoming fashionable again!

yunki
    Free Member

EAT THE RICH

Kunstler

Shrimps. Boiled on the boat on it’s way back to the quay. Sweeter, nicer and smaller than prawns – really fiddly to shell but you get the hang of that. We’d buy a bag of them straight off the boat on a summer evening. Lovely.

Perhaps the boy is bought a bike and finds delight in the simple pleasures and reward in endeavour itself, the father becomes enlightened by this and both are redeemed in each others eyes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I have heard one of the saddest things ever today.’ is closed to new replies.