Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I have a problem need to find a solution…show me your lock up in town bikes
  • rp16v
    Free Member

Problem – have 3 very nice bikes non of which I wish to lock in a Bristol shopping area at christmas and I didn’t want to take the car(had to in the end)

Solution – rule n+1 build a ratty low maintenance ss/fixed ride that will get walked past without batting an eye lid

So far I have 90% parts in my stash just need to look at f&f setup

So let’s see your leave it in town/train station/pub bike

PiknMix
    Free Member

Now with rear rack, I love riding this bike and leave it locked up everywhere without issue.

tomaso
    Free Member

Got a £120 Langster and its a singlespeed so its niche appeal is lost on thieves

jackthedog
    Free Member

Have no pictures, but I have a skip-find Raleigh for this very job. It’s an atrocious bicycle, perfect for the job. Would have been about £70-90 brand new in about 1994 I reckon. Plastic everything – pedals, cantilever brake arms, brake levers. Frame made of thin scaffold tube, weighs exactly one metric tonne and has a paint job from the factory that looks like I something I could do. Horrible. I can, and do, leave it in town all day without a second thought. For a life-long rider of pretty decent bikes I can’t afford to lose, it’s been a revelation.

Go to your local bike recycling charity, show them your D-lock of choice and say you want a bike worth less than 1-10th of its value. They’ll sort you out.

BigJohn

I own a ratty looking 1960s road bike 27″ wheels, running 36:15 fixed with mudguards and a single pannier. Old drop bars chopped off and turned upside down as bullhorns. Rides great but doesn’t look it. Can leave it anywhere.

zippykona

Bet you end up pimping it just a bit.

rp16v
    Free Member

Have been given a pair of 700c fixed wheels/tyres,have some old drops and cross top levers I may make horns out of,brakes coverd, cranks I do have some FSA hollowtech mtb but can prob stick a 36t on there providing I can sort the bb spacing, I’m 5 miles out of Bristol town so has to be fairly comfy really regretting selling my old bowery may take a punt on a langster if one comes up

Zippy its going full matt black so slightly pimp 8ball dust caps and all a friend of mine runs fixed events here so may try a couple of tunnel sprints

dsb181
    Free Member

£30 from my village bike shop about a year ago. Its been handy as anything, lock it and forget.
    It’s looking & feeling sorry for itself now, coming to the end of its duties soon as I’m moving further from work so the road bike takes on commuting although needs to be made more “commute friendly” as it has 23 tyres and no guards currently.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve just done my Xmas shopping on my rubbish bike. I gave £40 for it earlier this year from our local ” bits of everything” bike shop.

It says savage on the frame, plastic everything and I sometimes forget how long it takes to stop.

It’s parked outside right now with a lock on it that’s worth more than the bike and I’m watching my CCTV and people are not even looking at it.

Got to admit to putting mudguards on it and a rack so them cost more than the bike but they make it what it it’s just a kack bike.

tthew

Our local tip is an excellent source of such bikes, the contractors that run it aren’t supposed to let stuff go, but one of them did tell me the those rules don’t count if a box of tea-bags and some biscuits distract their attention. 😀

Pick up something with the right(ish) frame size and put all the ‘best’ bit on there, job’s a good-un.

timmys

I was given this bike for my 13th birthday. I’m now 36.

In all honesty I don’t use a hack bike as often as I should but it is my ‘popping into town bike’.

Speeder

I’ve got a claret and baby blue Sun something which I suspect dates from the 50s. It’s got a Sturmey 3 speed twist grip which works flawlessly and chrome with calipr brakes which are dreadful in the wet but I can’t imagine there’d be anything faster into town and no one gives it a 2nd look. It’s proper old school cool and £30 well spent.

Olly
    Free Member

Go big, Only ever leave it under a camera or on a busy street.

rp16v
    Free Member

have just found an ideal frameset in classifieds so getting it come payday hopefully,same one i sold last yer and really regret letting go

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I have a problem need to find a solution…show me your lock up in town bikes’ is closed to new replies.