Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I have a large vine growing. How do I turn my harvest into wine?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What kit do I need & how difficult will it be for a complete novice?

Not expecting any great results, just want to give it a try

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'm growing tobacco plants. I aim to make my own cigars. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'm growing some cotton plants. i'm going to open a tshirt factory in the living room.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A have an apple tree. How do I make apples?

jond
    Free Member

First you've got to get a harvest 😉

We inherited a small vine when we moved house – every year so far (4) the grapes have picked up a fungal growth before they've ripened, it'd be worth keeping a close eye on 'em, or even spray/treat them before they get that far.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

sterile bucket
    pulp 'em and add some pectolase to prevent spoliage
    strain through a muslin bag
    add the juice to a sterile demijohn, stick some suger in it (1 – 2lb depending on how much alcohol you wnat and how sweet you want it), pour in some activated yeast, top up with warmish water, close the demijohn with an airlocked cork

about 3 weeks later, syphon the liquid into another demijohn taking care not to disturb the sediment

when airlock stops bubbling, syphon into another demijohn (or the first so long as you've cleaned it).

when the liquid's clear bottle it and store someplace cool and dark for around 3 months.

the odds are the result will be vile and barely drinkable, but after a glass or two that won't really matter.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you are better off making grape juice, home made wine is highly unlikely to be drinkable unless it's very VERY sweet (or fruit wine) in which case go for it and stock up on headache pills before you drink it

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

oh and sterilise all the equipment

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..best wine I ever made was using 2 lites of Tropical 5 Alive (if that's still available), bottled and kept for 3 months. Lovely.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

I'll see what the crop is like before a final decision. At the moment there is about 50 bunches that are coming on very nicely 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i'm going to cut all the grapes off our vine this year before they get too big to encourage a bit more growth, plus the likelihood of seeing enough sun to ripen them is pretty slim.

It also depends which grape it is, some grapes are suited to the british climate (Bacchus springs to mind) although if you are near the south coast then you may be able to grow grapes commonly found in the champagne region (considered to have nearly the same climate in Kent now as Champagne did in the 60s when a lot of the classic vintages were made)

coffeeking
    Free Member

you are better off making grape juice, home made wine is highly unlikely to be drinkable unless it's very VERY sweet (or fruit wine) in which case go for it and stock up on headache pills before you drink it

MY parents always made elderflower wine, it was really really nice. We found a bottle a year ago that was from ~87 IIRC, it was like sherry – lovely!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

mine too (hence the fruit wine comment)

and elderflower champagne, crabapple wine and various others

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

the missus has been doing a load – got some recipies from a home brew forum..

over the last few months we've had

Wine #1, #2, #4, #6… which are combinations of grape juice, either on its own, or with apple juice, bananna or other juices.
    all rather nice.

but basic equipment your gonna need is a gallon demijon, a 5 gallon bucket, bungs and airlocks, and steriliser. oh and some tubing for syphoning between buckets.

these guys are very knowledgeable and could get you all the kit you need to start: http://www.zen37219.zen.co.uk/ based in Stockport.

boobs

What flavour grapes are they? My parents had a vine for years and the white grapes were 😯 foul, until it got hot/sunny enough to ripen…….

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Take your socks off.

Nico
    Free Member

There are different varieties of grapes for winemaking and eating.

timber

The vine is the only thing keeping my parents greenhouse up.
    Have you prepared the vine by removing half the bunches when they first appeared? Makes the remaining ones bigger, juicier and sweeter.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I have a large vine growing. How do I turn my harvest into wine?’ is closed to new replies.