Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I have a hub. I have a rim. I even have a spoke key. Now what?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Never built a wheel before. LBS want £35 to do the job (plus spokes/nipples etc).

I have however trued many a wheel with satisfactory results, so im fairly certain I could build one given enough guidance.

So, what the best links in order to work out spoke length and pattern?
    Which spoke for touring/light off road? (I want to use stainless spokes.)
    Which nipple material?

FYI its a Superstar Switch front hub (9mm) and Mavic TN719 rim.

I should give this a go, right?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Copy the 3 cross lacing pattern of another wheel and use the following;

Spoke calc

And BRASS nipples.

Not being funny but that was 2mins on Google?

GeForceJunky

Old Switch, Switch Ultra or Switch Lite?

Use http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

With the dimensions for the hub from the superstar website and ERD for the TN719 (604mm I think) to work out spoke length. 3X is the standard lacing pattern.

I would suggest DT Revolution spokes, normally very reasonably priced from RoseBikes if you don’t mind silver spokes. Brass nipples if your not a weight weenie although I have never had any issues with ali nipples on a few sets of wheels which are now up to about 5 years old.

Spokes

EDIT: Mavic spoke support diameter IS NOT the same as ERD, so be careful using the info posted above /\

epicyclo

poisonspider – Member
    …Not being funny but that was 2mins on Google?

Google gives you information, good and bad.

Asking here usually gets you a knowledgeable answer from someone who knows what they are talking about.

plyphon
    Free Member

Something something Sheldon Brown

poisonspider
    Free Member

EDIT: Mavic spoke support diameter IS NOT the same as ERD, so be careful using the info posted above /\

True, it’s the difference between the spoke finishing at the back side of the eyelet or the end of the nipple. It’s unlikely to be make that much difference, especially if you round up the spoke length calculation.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I made a wheel watching youtube and reading Sheldon Browns site. Was easier than I expected and quite therapeutic.Wheel is still in regular use 2 years later and has only once needed any attention when I snapped a spoke on a stick.

If I can do it anyone can. All i would say would be set aside an evening with no distractions and have faith that it is not a black art just time and perseverance.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Not being funny but that was 2mins on Google?

Cheers mate – 2 mins saved 😉

But seriously, thanks for the image. I’ve never built a wheel so wanted to ask the hive in case there is anything obvious I miss out before I commit the spondoolies.

Old Switch, Switch Ultra or Switch Lite?

Erm, new? This fella:
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/switch-ultra-front-hub.htm
    So Switch Ultra.

especially if you round up the spoke length calculation.

How much does one round up by?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Of course this is only my humble opinion but my tip would be;

Don’t be tempted to keep tightening! You can build a decent wheel without going overboard with the spoke tension.

nickc

sheldon brown is a good place to start. the rim’ll be 32 hole, so you may as well go 3 cross. Brass for nipples, spoke calculators are all over the web, but you’ll probably need to be able to measure the flanges, as many of them don’t get updated with “every hub” (or ask Superstar, they’ll know)

spokes: I use either DT comps or Sapim Laser.

poisonspider
    Free Member

How much does one round up by?

The calculator might come up with a decimal number, something point something-or-other.

Spokes aren’t necessarily readily available in 1mm increments so you might have to round up to the nearest length. Anything less than 2-3mm should be ok, especially if you use the Mavic number (598mm) in the Wheelpro calc.

nickc

round up, (1-2mm is fine)

ribena
    Free Member

I wouldn’t build your first wheel using DT Swiss Revolution, as they are very thin and light (2.0mm at the end, 1.5mm in the middle).

I usually use ACI Stainless Double Butted from CycleBasket. I’m no expert at wheel building, but I’ve never had any snap, plus they are quite cheap
    http://www.cyclebasket.com/m9b0s454p1804/ACI_ALPINA_Stainless_Steel_DB_Spokes_Silver_Packets_of_10_

Postage is pricey, but even so still work out quite cheap (16 quid ish for two wheels).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sheldon brown guide, you could just copy a wheel, but you’ll be there all day trying to figure it out, and probably miss several important bits like:

1) All(most all) rims are asymmetric.
    2) There’s sound logical reasons why pushing/pulling spokes are laced either inside or outside, know these reasons and argue to the death over them (pulling spokes inside all the time for me, stops chains getting jammed, and the pushing spokes pull the spokes in under braking which can buy some critical clearance from the brake caliper)
    3) There’s a lot more to it than just lacing and tensioning, none of it is difficult, but each step needs doing.

A tension meter and decent stand makes life easier, not essential, but takes the guesswork out of the equation. It’s perfectly possible to build a good wheel without one, it’s equally possible to build a perfectly true wheel with no stiffness, spokes so loose the nipples unwind and falls apart despite twanging the spokes and determining they were all within a couple of octaves of D-flat.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I would suggest DT Revolution spokes

It say the following about DT Revs on the Rose webiste: ‘DT Revolution spokes cannot be used with DT Pro lock nipples!’

So this means the spokes are bonded to the nipple? Not head of this before. Is this something that is usually ignored?

nickc

I think pro lock have an adhesive in them? beyond that I’ve no idea!!

You can buy boxes with hundreds of brass nipples for less than £20, they don’t need to be anything special.

GeForceJunky

Wheelpro spits out 291.4 and 295.1 for 604mm ERD. I personally take these numbers and round down so 290mm left and 294mm right.

slimjim78
    Free Member

im struggling with the Wheelpro calc as I dont know my flange from my elbow.

Google is offering TN719 ERD at both 598mm and 604mm. What gives?

According to Superstar I have the following:
    PDC Left 58mm
    PCD Right 45mm
    Flange Left 21mm
    Flange Right 38mm

Then for the TN719:
    ERD 598/604 ? <- im guessing that the 604 is the Mavic ‘spoke support length’ (to tip of nipple) plus 6mm for spoke length hidden in nipple?

sheeps

Find a copy of Roger Musson’s practical guide to wheelbuilding… No nonsense, clear and easy to follow

nixie

Buy the wheel pro ebook. Its cheap and gives you all the info you need to know, including how to measure the hub and rim erd as well as make a truing stand. Well worth it.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Coolio. Thanks all.

I think i’ve cracked the ERD/Mavic issue, i’ve seen various threads confirming the stated Mavic figures are short – so either 603 or 604mm should do me well.

I’ll double check my flange measurements tonight and order up some spokes from Rose or CRC (£21.98 for 36 DT Comp spokes plus brass nipples at CRC).
    I’m going to Heath Robinson a ‘truing stand’ from an inverted fork and some card markers.

Whats the worst that could happen?..

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Asking here usually gets you a knowledgeable answer from someone who knows what they are talking about.

*snigger*

gt900uk
    Free Member

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

I built my first wheel with this guide, worked out great

Dickyboy

I tend to use sapim race spokes, 45p ea including nipples from spa cycles

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ok, spokes have arrived. 290/294mm

Silly question time, on which side are the shorter spokes laced? Disc side of hub?

One would assume the larger flange of the disc side would result in a shorter spoke requirement – first test lacing has proven inconclusive..

johnners
    Free Member

One would assume the larger flange of the disc side would result in a shorter spoke requirement

The calculator should have told you which spokes were drive/non-drive side. The disc side flange on a front wheel will usually be closer to the centre line, that plus the larger flange you mention means I’d expect the shorter spokes to be that side.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I have a hub. I have a rim. I even have a spoke key. Now what?’ is closed to new replies.