Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I have a friend who appear to have gone AWOL..
  • scruff9252

I have a friend who I’ve known for some time. She, a single girl early thirties, studied middle Eastern archaeology and often spoke about visiting Jordan to do some digging.

I helped her out in Oct to move house where she told me she decided to move to Saudi and was leaving within the week.

She has been making regular Facebook posts along the lines of sharing random news articles but very little where she has written something.

It would also appear she is now married to a local, of whom she never spoke of before she left.

She has not responded to a few of my messages although I can see that she has read them. However there is often other people posting on her wall asking her to contact them, it would appear it’s not just me she is ignoring.

Am I right to be concerned? I would message someone from her family to ask if they have heard from her but her friends list is hidden & I have no other method of contact appart from doorstepping her parents summer home.

It would just be nice to know she is OK, her behaviour seems odd & I know she was recently out of a 12year messy relationship…

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I would be very worried if she is my friend

m0rk
    Free Member

Might not be able to access Facebook in Saudi, unless she (illegally) uses a proxy or knows how to.

Also, if she’s married to an Saudi, she may now respect his wishes to not engage in ‘friendships’ with men.

It might not be something to be worried about, she’s just gone down a very different path

badnewz
    Free Member

Surely her family are aware of her whereabouts? Unless they are not close at all…

scuttler

Off to Saudi. Married to a local! What could possibly go wrong?

EDIT – sorry totally unhelpful. I’m of the view that her new circumstances make social media challenging, she’s probably ‘alright’ up to the point she has culture-shock but experiences lack of control, and a polite communique with her folks explaining your concerns is justified.

grey

I think the Foreign Office has a department for this sort of thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Also, if she’s married to an Saudi, she may now respect his wishes to not engage in ‘friendships’ with men.

Or she may not have a choice in the matter…..

The point is correct, however. Cultural differences.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I have a friend who appear to have gone AWOL..’ is closed to new replies.