Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • I have a dilemna
  • Smee
    Free Member

I have this punter who would probably pass her driving test if she went for it, but in reality she cant drive worth a ****. She claims to be running out of cash and time to get her licence. Do i let her book her test? Bearing in mind that she would be a liability on the roads.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This raises a number of troubling questions. 😯

0091paddy
    Free Member

The road is full of liabilities, so why not add another!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Moses

Yes, let her book it. She pays you to teach her to pass the test, not how to drive.

😕

MrAgreeable

What is a "dilemna"? Is it something you're writing about for your dissertshun?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What does she look like ?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Oh. Is it He?

I've been away. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Tell her she's a liability.

Smee
    Free Member

Serious question. Also, I have never taught anyone to simply pass a test. I could do that in 5 or 6 lessons.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have never taught anyone to simply pass a test. I could do that in 5 or 6 lessons.

Could you really?

Smee
    Free Member

yes. easily. just like they used to do years ago. wouldn't be a city route though.

atlaz
    Free Member

Sounds like a challenge.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Any driver could pass in 5 or 6 lessons? You really believe that?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

wouldn't be a city route though.

So how do you get to choose the route they take on their test?

jabbathehut
    Free Member

i beg to differ. 5 or 6 lessons to pass a driving test. :mrgreen:

You must be an awesome instructor. 🙄

Smee
    Free Member

most could pass in 5 or 6 lessons. by choosing your test centre wisely you get to choose the test route – Duns has two routes which are the same but opposite directions and peebles has 3 very similar routes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You must be an awesome instructor.

He must be much more than an awesome instructor. My mum couldn't even learn to operate a car in 6 hours, never mind pass a driving test.

sobriety
    Free Member

So that's where you get it from! 😛

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

most could pass in 5 or 6 lessons. by choosing your test centre wisely you get to choose the test route – Duns has two routes which are the same but opposite directions and peebles has 3 very similar routes.

So you can't teach anyone to pass in 5 or 6 lessons then. Only SOME people. And only if you get them to take their test on easier rural routes?

Surfr
    Free Member

Are you a qualified tester? If not, you are not qualified to make that decision.

Also, I'm sure most drivers would admit, you learn to drive a car after you pass your test.

Moses

Chaps, chaps, we are not here to discuss Goan's skills as a driving instructor; but to argue the merits of putting an unsafe driver through her test.

Smee
    Free Member

M_F – stop being a prick.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

stop being a prick.

Talking to yourself I assume as it is you coming out with the stupid claims!

Smee
    Free Member

Surfr – yes i am qualified to test peoples driving ability – not an examiner though.

The idea that you only learn to drive once you've passed your test is why the standards in this country are so piss poor too. Those most drivers you refer to are **** dangerous.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

you dont start learning to drive really until after your test, not really BUT IMHO you what you learn in the lessons is basically how to pass the test, not how to drive. Hopefully though during this process your instructor helps you to begin to learn to drive and you come away safe to 'really' learn to drive. Put her forward and let the exam people decide.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL, then changes his post too. 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

M_F – what is your problem here?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

M_F – what is your problem here?

Your ridiculous claim that you could teach anyone to pass a driving test in 5 or 6 lessons is my problem. It shows either painful smuggery or just a simple lack of empathy with the abilities of some (perhaps most) learner drivers.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

what is your problem here?

You sound like the 'trolling thread-fighter' mate

stumpyjon

Put her in for the test. It's for the examiners to decide if she is capable of driving. Hopefully she'll get someone who'll look at general competance as well as mechanical ability, if not it's not your responsibility.

Your first responsibility is to your customer, she's contracted you to teach her to pass her test, suggest that she needs additional training post passing the test, if she doesn't take your professional advice there's not much you can do about it.

MS
    Free Member

I agree with Goan, be quite easy to pass a test in 5 or 6 lessons if all you did was practice on a route. say 1 lesson getting used to car. 2 Lessons Learning the manouvers. 2 Lessons Learnign the route you might be doing. 1 Lesson just brushing up on skills.

But you would know nothing about driving through the town, learn about roundabouts ans stuff liek that.

Goan is basically saying he believes the girl would pass her test due to her being able to do manouvers, knowing the route, but general driving she is poor.

M_F – get a grip, he merely asked a decent question and you started slating him.

I passed my test after 9 Lessons, but one lesson was driving in the dark, one was dual carrigeways (not in my test) and one was just brushing up on skills. So doesnt sound unreasonable.

Smee
    Free Member

M_F – why is it a ridiculous claim? You an expert in this field? Where did I say that I could teach every single person to pass their test on a city route in 5 or 6 lessons? You're making way too many assumptions there.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You tell her she's not ready to pass. Hardly complicated.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd hope you'd tell her she wasnt ready. And if you've had lots of lessons from her maybe give her a small discount on a couple of refreshers before her test?

I passed in 11, not sure I could have done it any faster.

FuzzyWuzzy

You gain confidence and awareness once you've passed and have driven a lot but you also pick up lots of bad habits, I've lost count of the TV programmes they've had qualified drivers retake their tests and failed, pretty sure I would without really being careful.

As for the OP, I'd say advise her against it but book it if she insists. Or work out another way for her to fund her lessons :p

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Where did I say that I could teach every single person to pass their test on a city route in 5 or 6 lessons?

You said Also, I have never taught anyone to simply pass a test. I could do that in 5 or 6 lessons.
    So you can teach anyone to drive in 5 or 6 lessons. Apart from the ones you can't teach in 5 or 6 lessons? I understand now.

M_F – get a grip, he merely asked a decent question and you started slating him.

I was slating him for his attitude regarding his ability to be able to teach anyone to drive so quickly, not for the OP.

MS
    Free Member

M_F – You like being pirnickety (SP?). TBH he didnt actually say everyone did he.

IMO stop being an arse and offer him a good opinion rather than arguing about how good an instructor is. He asked for advice as a. he doesnt want to put an unsafe driver on the road abd b. he doesnt want to drag it out too long as lessons are not cheap.

thomthumb
    Free Member

can well believe that you could teach some one to pass in a lot fewer lessons than it takes to learn to drive.

from my unscientific sample of a few of my mates some were only taught some of the manouvers. hoping that they'd not get asked! most of them can only just revrse bay park to one side! because your never expected to do the other in the test etc. etc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

TBH he didnt actually say everyone did he.

Well he said he could teach anyone to pass a test in 5 or 6 lessons so I think he did.

I have never taught anyone to simply pass a test. I could do that in 5 or 6 lessons.

Gary_M
    Free Member

most could pass in 5 or 6 lessons

Why has no one noticed that the length of lesson hasn't been given. I can understand why mastiles_fanylion is having a go at goan – this is Smee/Glupton/etc after all with another of his amzing skillz claims.

Anyway to the answer the original question if you think she is capable of passing her test then let her go for it, it's down to the examiner to determone whether she is fit to be on the road or not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘I have a dilemna’ is closed to new replies.