Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • I have a Cannondale itch I want to scratch. Is it worth it.
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

I’ve never owned a Cannondale and always wanted one. I’m thinking about one of the FSi hardtails with a lefty.

Does anyone on here have any real experience with them? Riding wise it will be ridden mostly on south eastern trails (Thetford/Bedgbury/Swinley for examples) with 3 or 4 trips to lakes each year.

Is there any reason not too?

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve had them in the past, before the full suss boom really took off, couple of hard tails then a orange coloured one that snapped a few times, They all seemed to do this and were affectionately knows as snap and fail, and that’s kinda stuck, I wouldn’t personally purchase one but there are those that love em,

Rik
    Free Member

What about one of the new more trail orientated Beast of the East bikes?

Kuco

I’ve had various Cannondales over the years and only ever had a problem with one and that was quickly sorted. The crack n fail tag is from the very early days.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I jumped on the trigger bandwagon whilst pauls cycles were doing the deals. Had an issue and cannondale uk were not interested in the slightest. Bought a replacement frame but very much doubt i’ll purchase another cannondale again.

wicki
    Free Member

The only bikes i regret selling are cannondales.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

I bought a secondhand one and the lefty gave up. 5 years old but no bits available to rebuild it so effectively scrap. Wasn’t impressed. Had an m1000 and a few road bikes without any problems. Definitely wouldn’t have another lefty unless it was just for posing down the pub!

IdleJon

xyeti – Member

I’ve had them in the past, before the full suss boom really took off, couple of hard tails then a orange coloured one that snapped a few times, They all seemed to do this and were affectionately knows as snap and fail, and that’s kinda stuck, I wouldn’t personally purchase one but there are those that love em,

How many years ago was this?

In the last fifteen years I’ve owned two road, one HT, one FS and one CX Cannondale. None of them snapped. Neither have any of the ones owned by friends or family. The ‘crack’n’fail’ description was old when I first started riding MTBs twenty years ago. 🙄

For the OP – I really enjoyed my FS Rush. Really nice. The hardtail I had, I wasn’t too bothered about. Not sure why – maybe the headshock? And the CAAD4 road bike was one of the best road bikes I’ve ever ridden and that’s a good description of my current CAADX. So…on the whole good but I haven’t ridden any of the current hardtails.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 FSi Carbon 2. Awesome bike, fast as hell, well built. My friend just spent a small fortune on their 2016 “Team” version.

Really depends on what riding you do. On long rides, I’d much rather take my steel 45650b for comfort. The FSi is solely used for XC racing. It’s fast, seriously fast

bensales
    Free Member

I bought a Cannondale SuperX CX bike last year. It’s awesome and a shame I didn’t get to race any CX due to injury this season. Will definitely use it properly next year.

I’d have bought an XC race bike too, but they didn’t seem to do anything equivalent to the Spesh Epic or Trek Top Fuel, so Specialized got my money.

johnnystorm

jaylittle – Member
    I jumped on the trigger bandwagon whilst pauls cycles were doing the deals. Had an issue and cannondale uk were not interested in the slightest. Bought a replacement frame but very much doubt i’ll purchase another cannondale again.

A bit unfair, the issue being you crashed it and bent the frame! 😕

jaylittle
    Free Member

^^^^ was waiting for this one…. the issue being cannondale clearly offer a crash replacement scheme on their website but refuse to honour it when its called upon.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I’ve had great experiences with cannondale frames – 2 of my 3 are dales (scalpel and supersix) both great. None better in my book

eshershore
    Free Member

I have my first Cannondale – a Super Six Evo road bike – and very nice it is too

I have little faith in any kind of warranty being honoured if needed, bearing in mind Cannondale UK’s reputation, and the retailer being Evans, but it was only £1000 on sale so I’m not too bothered!

the new Cannondale gravel bike with the lefty looks awesome, i don’t need one, but would like one 🙂

allfankledup

Bought a caad8 second hand at the weekend. Hope to get out on it shortly. Going to keep my cx bike for mud/mudguards and the caad for sunny rides….in theory…

fd3chris
    Free Member

I was ummimg and arring over a cannondale beast of the east but I wasn’t aware of any reputation that they had in the UK. What’s wrong with them ? Genuine question.

amedias
    Free Member

then a orange coloured one that snapped a few times, They all seemed to do this and were affectionately knows as snap and fail, and that’s kinda stuck

nothing like letting an experience from 20 years ago colour your advice to someone now eh? 😉

every manufacturer has had it’s ups and downs, the crack ‘n fail days are well behind them, I promise 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

I have three Cannondales

An enduro-ised Prophet which was/is a brilliant frame and a total riot to ride, long low and slack (ish) – way ahead of its time design wise.

A Trail 29er SS, good priced winter single speed, love riding it and listening to my mate grind away his expensive Sram 11speed.

A Pauls cycles Jekyll, bargain priced and the replacement for the Prophet I was looking for.

I wished I bought a Cannondale CX/commuter instead of the brand I went with.

Cannondale do large (XL) sized frames really well and despite not overly coverting a Cannondale I seem to have ended up with 3 as they fit me really well size wise.

xyeti
    Free Member

Idlejohn, The last one was about 2004 i think? Maybe a year earlier, I’ve not touched another. it was a Gemini? First crack appeared on side of top tube where top and down tube met, This was replaced with the same colour a fire Orange?

A few Months later the rear swingarm Cracked on the drive side where the pivot was, I got that warrantied but got a black swing arm not orange with the flames on…….. Not too bad, then the swingarm went again this time i got a red one. Eventually Leisure Lakes took the whole lot back and i got a Santa Cruz Bullit. The Cannondales of that Era were well known for it. I used to ride at Innerleithen on the Old red Bull DH track and there were a few mates who had problems with cracked frames again mainly around the head tube. Same at Hamsterley and Wharncliffe Woods. Mine cracked so it put me off, I’ve had Santa Cruz since and none of which have cracked so i’m happy with that. I’m just giving my experience, They may make the best bikes in the Industry but “Me” personally, I wouldnt buy another.

withersea
    Free Member

Very happy Jekyll rider here,ndeala at Paul’s are\were great value

xyeti
    Free Member

amedias, If you are happy to buy from a Manufacturer with a poor track record then that’s fine, But dont make this another Bagies V Lycra or Pack and bottle debate, If i bought a bottle with a hole in the bottom it would be no good, Just because 10 – 12 years later they still make bottles i wouldnt buy one because i’d learnt previously that they were shit AND i got fobbed off and off because the Importer couldn’t or wouldn’t replace one part of a frame with another of a completely different colour. Until they stopped manufacturing the frame then when both parts failed they had no choice. I seem to remeber one of the team riders frame snapped on his production bike, Might have been Cedric Garcia? I dunno i cant remember.

But, Experience has proved that i should learn and move on.

grtdkad

I bought an ex-demo ‘dale Flash last spring, love it. It has become my go-to bike, well put together and it goes like stink! The lefty fork is superb, possibly more effective than the SID WC that I have on another HT here.

Definitely recommend. I will be buying another.

fatmax

My R600 road bike (2003 model) was very / too stiff but was ok. When it cracked a couple of years ago, Cannondale offered a free replacement frame if I could prove proof of purchase or a much reduced frame when I could.
    Also had a F1000 hardtail (Headshok) from 2003 that was ace. Gave it to my bro and would still have it back. Would love a 29er version of it.

flattyre
    Free Member

I also have 2015 fsi carbon 2 and would echo comments above. Amazing bike, fast but with trail bike like handling. But I wouldn’t take it on long rides either as frame too stiff…

Had a few minor issues with mine and they were sorted, albeit a bit slowly. This was from triton cycles who I would happily recommend.

The lefty forks are a bit of a pain if you have to take wheel off to put bike in the car…

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I have been riding Cannondale Flash Hi-mod lefty for 2 years now. I am a road cyclist and use this for a lot of my winter training. It is very light and very fast and the fork is superb, the design of the Lefty fork is very impressive. When I do go off road riding hardpack trails and byways equally as good, the feel of the front fork is sublime and very smooth.

czthompson

I may have just bought a F900 Optimo from the 2000’s. Looks lovely and taking it out for it’s first ride on Saturday.

I have to say the only reason I bought it was the way the lefty makes the bike look! (and it was a bargain!).

v666ern
    Free Member

NOT ENOUGH PICTURES ON THIS THREAD 🙁

woody74

I had a Cannondale itch a few years back as have never owned one and ended up buying a Caad10 road bike. I think it is the best bike I have ever owned and I have had a fair few. It just feels and fits right.

pjbarton
    Free Member

I have a large F29 carbon 3 that I love, but might sell. Just not using it having got a Trigger recently.
    The Lefty on both is great but the Supermax on the Trigger is particularly amazing – the F29 isn’t getting a look in. There’s no issues with cracking frames.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I have an RZ120 xlr2 which I picked up in a Paul’s sale. I like it a lot. Far more capable than I am.
    My 6’4″ wife rides an xl super six and loves it. Both very pleased and would buy more cannondale bikes.

IdleJon

My 6’4″ wife rides an

I knew she’s tall, never noticed that she’s THAT tall! 😯

peccu
    Free Member

Ridden cannondales for 15 years, always with lefty, historical had F2000 h/t lefty ELO, 2004 Jekyll with leftymax, prophet with carbon leftymax. Been riding a trigger1 29er lefty supermax up until getting a fatcaad1 lefty olaf, trigger hasn’t been out since 🙂

Never any issues with any of them except for normal wear and tear.

dirtydog
    Free Member

5 years old but no bits available to rebuild it

Same as Fox then!

martymac

bought a trail 1 29er last year on ctw scheme.
    like it, fits me well, feels light for the money, handles well, looks good (black paint with green metal flake laquer)
    would i buy another? yes.
    1st cannondale.

disco_stu
    Free Member

and the lefty gave up. 5 years old but no bits available to rebuild it so effectively scrap

Out of curiosity what lefty did you have ( Possibly the ELO one? ) My Lefty Ti DLR from about 2002 or so is still going strong and gets a service every couple of years.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Had a F600 with fatty headshock a few years back in SoBe green. Loved it, sorry I sold it. No problems with it at all.

Recently sold a Super Six and replaced it with a Synapse which I love.

Get one, or two….

Edit – like this

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Trail 29er, CAAD10, Synapse all in the bike rack. Love ’em.

eshershore
    Free Member

here’s my Super Six Evo enjoying the fine English weather

teadrinker
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses guys,

quite liking the look of this one for general xc riding duties but would be concerned about it being to harsh.

General rides are 2 hours, nothing too gnarly with longer days out at Thetford/Bedgbury and sometimes Swinley and Woburn. And then a few times a year I’ll be out in the Lakes/Pennines.

Any thoughts on that one at all will be much appreciated.

parkesie
    Free Member

There’s a surprising amount of give in the back end and the seatpost on them. Not harsh at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘I have a Cannondale itch I want to scratch. Is it worth it.’ is closed to new replies.