Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • I hate wearing a suit.
  • slowoldman

I remember travelling around Ireland in the 90s and you’d still see workmen digging up the road in a suit.

Used to be “de riguer” amongst site brickies and chippies to buy a suit, wear it solidly on and off site until it fell apart then buy another. There was so much more individuality before the days of hi viz.

dragon
    Free Member

The real reason no one much wears a suit now (and ties for that matter), is the rise of office working combined with central heating / air con. If we all went back to ties and jackets, we could do a fair chunk to reduce energy costs, maybe the green party should champion them, rather than tie-dyed t-shirts and sandals.

thelinkedinman
    Free Member

I have been a regular suit wearer for such a long time now it feels very odd and almost uncomfortable to not wear a suit to work but nothing makes me grin more than when I walk in or out of a venue in the suit and then out in the MTB gear – priceless!

Completely agree with all the comments on fit though, I have cycled for ages so have to watch tight legs in suits and top of trousers (with the power of legs matched it on hills!) but never tried to cycle in a suit though.

James

igm

Any recommended tailors in the Leeds / York area?

dazh

Not too bothered about suits on the rare occasion I wear one, but I still avoid it like the plague. However I have a strict rule against ties in any situation, and will wear proper shoes only for as long as I am required to. If I have work meetings I take wear trainers and take shoes with me and only put them on outside the building. At weddings shoes are only worn for the ceremony and are swapped for trainers the minute the register is signed.

I’ve always made it clear to my boss that should a strict dress code ever be brought in at work, then I’ll be out the door faster than you can tie a double windsor 🙂

doris5000

i wear ties at work. not with suits or jackets, but quite often with trainers. also not silk ties ever (bleurgh)

wouldn’t mind a chance to wear my suit more than twice a year, but there’s rarely an opportunity here…

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’ve always made it clear to my boss that should a strict dress code ever be brought in at work, then I’ll be out the door faster than you can tie a double windsor

great way of getting rid of you without a payout.

TooTall
    Free Member

not silk ties ever

So what are you wearing – polyester?

aracer
    Free Member

Yet as soon as you use any of them for the purported intended purpose your suit looks shit

mefty
    Free Member

Yet as soon as you use any of them for the purported intended purpose your suit looks shit

Not if you have a decent tailor.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Pockets?
    I’ve got a desk at work. Why would i want to stick stuff in my pockets?

(And i’ve got more useable pocket volume in one pair of comfy trousers than two suits.)

Thank **** suit wearing is almost completely dead in Scandinavia.

gonzy
    Free Member

i dont mind wearing suits but only when i’m required to wear one.
    it depends on the cut as to whether its comfortable or not.
    i’ve had some really nice ones and some that havent been very nice to wear.
    the most expensive one was the one i wore for my wedding…a £1k versace suit. beautifully made and perfect fit…pity i cant fit into it anymore

i dont wear a tie at work anymore but i keep a spare black one in my desk for emergencies

ste_t
    Free Member

I’ve just had to buy a new suit for a wedding next week and will have it out again for another in September.

Everytime I’ve had a suit before its never really looked that great but had help with sizing this time and glad to report I look fabulous.

I wear untucked shirts, jeans and converse to work (kind of uniform I guess,) so it’s nice to dress like an adult sometimes.

doris5000

So what are you wearing – polyester?

wool or cotton mainly, sometimes linen. lots of knitted ties. but yes, a couple of my cheaper knitted one are polyester 😳

you can’t really wear shiny ties with jeans!

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘I hate wearing a suit.’ is closed to new replies.