Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I has a slow cooker. Now I would like your…
  • Kahurangi

recipes and suggestions please 😀

I’m looking forward to learn how to do some stews and maybe some soups in there.

Mmmmm……

What’s your favourite or even better, how do make it?

bruneep

Beef or Lamb Tangine.

Although it doesn’t say to use slow cooker I always do it in mine.

Fantastic.

binners

again, not a specific slow cooker recipe, but my personal favourite. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/hungarian/braised-beef-goulash-with-smoked-pimenton.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigJohn

It brings out the flavours of real food – meat, onions, carrots etc. so make sure you cut down on flavourings like herbs, spices and salt because they can overpower. Stock cubes are mostly salt, btw.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

null try this one family fav you must use xxx hot curry powder

rondo101
    Free Member

Brisket or a whole chicken or lamb shank cooked all day in stock with whatever veg you care to throw in is fantastic. And the stock makes a great gravy.

Casserole, chilli and spag bol are all great too. Its a little weird having the house smell of meat first thing in the morning when you brown it off, but definitely worth it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy some Shin or Cheek of beef.
    Cube it, place it in the pot with the following;
    Onion – Chopped
    Garlic – Chopped
    Tin chopped tomato
    Curry paste (I find a mix of Madras and Tikka Masala works best)

Cook for 6 hours plus.

That’s all you need to know.

GRAEMEJONES
    Kahurangi

Thanks folks, lots of good starters 😀

Flash – brown the beef and juice the onions in a little oil to start with, yes?

rondo – I’d be more likely to brown off the meat and do all the prep the previous evening so that I only have to place it in the cooker and turn it on in the morning. Nothing wrong with that?

brad0612
    Free Member

Jamie Oliver’s steak, Guinness and cheese pie.

I did it twice, except made it as a simple stew and cooked some pastry separately, and used half the recommended amount of cheese.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/steak-guinness-and-cheese-pie-with-a-puf

alexpalacefan

Great for making stock from roast chicken bones too. 24hrs on low, I’ve got some on at the moment 🙂

APF

wors

Chilli is a good one too, just brown the mince and then throw it all in.

slimtubing
    Free Member

cubed pork, onion, small can of cling peaches, cup of vege stock, Dumplings!

rondo101
    Free Member

rondo – I’d be more likely to brown off the meat and do all the prep the previous evening so that I only have to place it in the cooker and turn it on in the morning. Nothing wrong with that?

I generally cook enough for a couple of nights and seem to remember some food hygiene rule that reheating food twice is bad. Might be wrong, but its no problem to brown the meat and sweat the veg in the morning. Just smells a bit odd for that time of day.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“rondo – I’d be more likely to brown off the meat and do all the prep the previous evening so that I only have to place it in the cooker and turn it on in the morning. Nothing wrong with that?”

I would say that is dodgy.

To be honest we do not even brown off the meat just put whatever veggies etc in the night before and put the meat in the morning un-browned.

As abovew dont over complicate slow cook receipes, stuff can become a bit over powering. If using normal receipes reduce the amount of fluid as all the jucies that come out of the meat and veggies is amazing.

Chickens are fantastic slow cooked, they taste much nicer than oven cooked.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Porridge overnight on warm.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Jon – We’ve got a recipe book you’re welcome to borrow. Remind me next wednesday.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Porridge overnight on warm.”

Surely thats got to be a very expensive way of making a bowl of porridge?

Just out of interest, has anyone worked out the difference in cost between slow cooking some thing for 8 hrs in the slow cook, as opposed to 1hr etc in the oven?

joolsburger
    Free Member

•4 medium sized Lamb Shanks or a whole lamb shoulder
    •1 large red onion quartered
    •10 garlic cloves (crushed)
    •3 tomatoes cut in 4’s
    •3 medium sized potatoes peeled and quartered
    •1 large carrot
    •Feta cheese cubed
    •1 tbsp oregano (fresh or dried it doesn’t matter)
    •1 tbsp Mint (fresh or dried)
    •1/2pt lamb stock or white wine
    •Olive oil
    •Salt & Pepper to taste

All day on low.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Surely thats got to be a very expensive way of making a bowl of porridge?

Just out of interest, has anyone worked out the difference in cost between slow cooking some thing for 8 hrs in the slow cook, as opposed to 1hr etc in the oven?

You could do all the above recipes in a pressure cooker in a fraction of the time and cost, but they would not taste as good!

t_i_m
    Free Member

cook some sausages normally. then bung them in the slow cooker with potatoes, apples and cider. cook until potatoes go soft (around 5 hours for my cooker)

uplink
    Free Member

Well, my slow cooker uses 120W on low

poppa
    Free Member

BTW browning meat does not mean sticking it in a moderately warm pan until it becomes opaque. Browning meat is when you place it in a very hot pan with just enough oil to stop it sticking, and cook it until it is a dark brown and probably covered in crusty/marmitey bits. This will improve the flavour of many stews significantly, particularly dark beef/lamb stews. And you will need to deglaze the pan and add that too!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I has a slow cooker. Now I would like your…’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts