Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I guess this is knackered
  • psychobiker
    Free Member

Been suffering from slipping gears recently, struggling on hills etc, But as I am riding nights only I cannot see what is happening. Changed the chain and the top three gears are unrideable. Slipping all of the time. I have played with the settings to every conotation. And still no change.

So thought I would show you the cassette, and I guess its knackered. Bit annoyed as its only done about 1000 miles. Am i right.

Cheers

Marcel

sambob
    Free Member

Flippin’ ‘eck 😯 How did you get it that worn?

nosedive
    Free Member

you do know it’s covered in crap dont you ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    psychobiker
    Free Member

I wish I knew.

And the dirt is last nights ride, avoiding non working gears, got a pissing flat 7 miles from home, so had more of a walk than a ride.

james
    Free Member

put the old (worn) chain back on. Clean everything, lube it. Spin a bit more. It ought to last a bit longer before the gear slippage becomes really unbearable again

If you keep it that filthy, I’d reckon 1000miles was fairly good?

You don’t carry spare tubes?

alpin
    Free Member

^^ yup… put the old chain back on and ride the drivetrain into the ground and buy a new set of deore chain rings and desired chain and cassette in summer.

sugdenr
    Free Member

^^ yup yup. new chain = no no. Old chain, and a healthy dose of mechanical sympathy

psychobiker
    Free Member

Was starting to get annoying on the old chain, so will replace the cassette I think. And know I am usually very particular with the drive. The photo is just after a very dirty ride, It was raining last night. And the bridlepaths are filthy.

psychobiker
    Free Member

Have just changed the tube and there were 4 seperate puncture and had to get the thorns out with pliers. So I think I would have been extremely lucky to change inner and get very far before it punctured again. Also dont enjoy mechanics in the dark.

james
    Free Member

I don’t enjoy mechanics in the dark, but I don’t enjoy walking (With flat tyred bike) on my tod for 7 miles in the dark/mud more

“so will replace the cassette I think”
    How much use has the ‘new’ chain had? It will have been ‘trying’ to ‘wear’ to the worn casette. If you use a new casette with your ‘new(er)’ chain the casette will have to ‘wear’ to the ‘new'(er) chain?

I always buy chain/casette/chainrings all together. Then not wasting anything new by making it ‘wear’ to anything not new
    Last couple of times I’ve swapped to a new chain at or just (I mean just) over 0.75% stretch (on the 1st chain), again nearing (or at) 1% stretch on the 2nd chain aand then leave the 3rd chain on until everything is dead and slipping/snapping

Going by waht I’ve read on here the best thing to do would be to have 3 chains from new and alternate them every or evry other ride. (cleaning everything properly between obviously). I can’t be bothered with this level of drivetrain dedication/faff

psychobiker
    Free Member

New chain is a spanker, that was first ride with it, 8 miles pedaling, 7 miles walking. So hopefully wont have any wear. Might try alternating chains, every 100 miles or so. Agree with all the dedication on mechanics I would rather ride than faff.

Enjoyed the walk btw except the calves hurt a bit today. Spd’s are not the comfiest to walk in.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve got an XT cassette on mine and that is wearing really quickly. Don’t know if that’s what you’ve got.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

If its skipping gears because the casette and chain are both that badly worn the middle chain ring (if you ride in the middle ring most) is probably worn out too.
    If you ride everything till its all worn out you will usually end up needing to fit chain casstette and chaing ring together. New chains will skip badly over worn gears.
    Some people fit 3 to 4 new chains a year to try to reduce running stretched chains on chainrings and causing more wear. Swings & roundabouts….

andyl
    Free Member

You can buy the small separate rings separately if you think the rest is okay. Rose bike sell them but you should be able to get them in other places.

PS looks like you’ve been stomping up hills in those couples of sprockets. Try moving up to a larger chainring and sprocket combination to get the same gearing but spreading the force over more teeth.

psychobiker
    Free Member

If its skipping gears because the casette and chain are both that badly worn the middle chain ring (if you ride in the middle ring most) is probably worn out too.
    If you ride everything till its all worn out you will usually end up needing to fit chain casstette and chaing ring together. New chains will skip badly over worn gears.
    Some people fit 3 to 4 new chains a year to try to reduce running stretched chains on chainrings and causing more wear. Swings & roundabouts….

Only ride in the big ring, no wear at all on that. I feel like I’m being told off like the naughty boy I am. Just ride hard thats all.

You can buy the small separate rings separately if you think the rest is okay. Rose bike sell them but you should be able to get them in other places.

PS looks like you’ve been stomping up hills in those couples of sprockets. Try moving up to a larger chainring and sprocket combination to get the same gearing but spreading the force over more teeth.

Good call, may try mixing the gears a bit. Have been considering changing to single speed or 1 x 9, but want the larger front gear. so dont know on that score.

ratadog

Have just changed the tube and there were 4 seperate puncture and had to get the thorns out with pliers. So I think I would have been extremely lucky to change inner and get very far before it punctured again.

I don’t like walking home either, and I can’t get on with tubeless, so at thorny times of the year I have taken to using inners with added Sludge. Seems to be the thinnest of the sealants and goes easiest into Continental tubes with removable presta cores – five minute job. Lasts a winter at least and although I still occasionally have to pump a tyre up and spin it I haven’t had to walk home for ages.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I guess this is knackered’ is closed to new replies.