Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • I gots me Nexus 7 this ere morning..
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

And I is playin wiv it naaa…

Triple whoooosh..

jonba
    Free Member

Any good? Was thinking of getting one although I was waiting for something similar from acer with usb and sd card?

wwaswas

a Nexus 7 earlier;

29erKeith
    Free Member

A mate at work’s just got one too, he was initially impressed which is a surprise as he’s a massive! apple Fan boy. He’s bought every iphone and ipad (up to 2) on release day and has Macbook Pro, Macbook air, iMac Apple TV…. you get the picture

He’s very disappointed there’s not iPad esq TVCatch up app and no iPlayer

Cougar

iPlayer is on the market.

IA

He’s very disappointed there’s not iPad esq TVCatch up apps

This is sadly the problem with android tablets just now…hopefully the the N7 being cheap, plus the kindle fire, will change this… but it’ll take time.

Kindle fire would help more if it was ICS based and not gingerbread too – coding UIs is different and it’s a hassle.

GrahamS

He’s very disappointed there’s not iPad esq TVCatch up app and no iPlayer

Don’t the websites work though?

The apps (particularly the TVCatchup one) are fairly thin wrappers around the mobile versions of the websites.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Previous version of the Nexus 7. Also known as Nexus 6

However they aren’t toys Sebastian. They’re physical.

IA

Don’t the websites work though?

Iplayer, and the app, are built on flash. No flash on 4.1* A matter of time before the beeb get their arse in gear and finally serve the h264 properly on android.

*easily, or supported, anyhow.

GrahamS

Iplayer, and the app, are built on flash. No flash on 4.1* A matter of time before the beeb get their arse in gear and finally serve the h264 properly on android.

But the website and app both work fine in the wonderful Flash-free world of iPhone/iPad, so they are obviously serving up nice HTML5/h264 video already??

Maybe just not to Android (try changing the User Agent of the browser?)

darryl1983
    Free Member

You can still install flash on the nexus 7 just not through the market, then use an aftermarket browser, as the inbuilt one doesn’t allow flash.

Was going to get one of these but opted for a second hand ipad2 instead, which is great except the resolution is abit on the low side. Only use it for browsing the web and watching videos, so the apps are of no interest to me

I’m hoping they bring out a similar spec’ed 10 inch version, with better resolution…..Nexus 10.

GrahamS

Only use it for browsing the web and watching videos, so the apps are of no interest to me

I find that a really odd sentiment. 😕

Why would you choose to ignore the hundreds of thousands of apps specifically designed for your tablet??

Especially when most of them are free or very cheap and quite a few improve your stated primary usage of “browsing the web and watching videos”?

It’s like buying a high-end laptop and only ever using it for Notepad and Solitaire.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Has it got Flash?

glenh
    Free Member

Yes you can install flash, but not from the android market

IA

Why would you choose to ignore the hundreds of thousands tens of apps specifically designed for your tablet??

Really. Android suffers a lack of tablet apps just now.

glenh
    Free Member

Which ones? I seem to have all the same ones on my ipad and nexus 7.

IA

American bias, but you get the idea here, the experience is typical:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401676,00.asp

Some more here too:

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/ipad-vs-android-tablet-apps-compared-side-by-side/6344244

They /exist/ but they seem to be lower quality in general on android IMO. Bizarrely, the Nexus 7 might help here, as a stretched phone app might work better on a 7 than a 10″ screen (10″ asus here).

And there’s nothing like the high quality 1st-party apps AFAIK, e.g. keynote, garageband, imovie etc.

glenh
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever used any of those.

coffeeking
    Free Member

*easily, or supported, anyhow.

I’m confused. My phone (android) supports flash, iplayer etc etc. Why would an android tab (of sufficient processing power) not?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Woooshtastic and really rather good it is this ere tablet , bit hard to swallow mind , need some bbeer to wash it down .

glenh
    Free Member

I’m confused. My phone (android) supports flash, iplayer etc etc. Why would an android tab (of sufficient processing power) not?

Because adobe has dropped flash support for mobile devices, so there is no (official) flash app for android 4.1.

Flaperon

Got one on Wednesday. Very impressed, great screen, lightning fast and with the MoDaCo custom ROM the little out of the box foibles are resolved.

I have the 16GB with loads of games and a movie or two on it and still have 5GB free. Would recommend ditching Chrome though, it’s not quite ready for primetime yet.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes you can install flash, but not from the android market

Brilliant. Might get myself one of those then. 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

Are they cheaper than a playbook?

GrahamS

Really. Android suffers a lack of tablet apps just now.

I know. You missed the bit where darryl1983 said he “opted for a second hand ipad2 instead“, hence two hundred thousand odd iPad-specific apps.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“is still looking for a flash player to download”

Any one care to link one????

brant
    Free Member

My techno teenager is very impressed with my nexus7 in as much I don’t think it’ll be *my* nexus7 anymore.

He says it’s better than his sisters iPad. Notably as its lighter and more compact.
    It certainly seems a very good compromise of size, weight, power and price.
    Will be interesting to see Apples mini iPad response.

Flaperon
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Flaperon, many thanks.. appreciate that.

As to my 8gb Nexus, I’ve just filled it up with some rather funky tunes.

“will make a mental note to buy a bigger capacity version next time”

Still rather ace mind.

And have been whooshing most of the day except for the TdF.

Googletastic.

GrahamS

Sickly sweet Nexus Advert:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqiSE-ukmgc[/video]

*bleuuuuuuuuurgh*

bikebouy
    Free Member

“is still looking for the camera”

bikebouy
    Free Member

OK for those in the know… The nexus 7 doesn’t actually come with a stock camera… Yes I know, pathetic. seems the company Asus that make the nexus thought it best not to install one on the basis that the quality would be poor from the front loaded camera lens (eh.. Yes it has a lens..) so searching through t’internet I found an app on the play store called MoDaCo… So now I have a camera…
    Wooohoo… And clickywooosh.

“is happy”

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is the ‘basic pleasure model’

Shorty121
    Free Member

How do I get flash onto the nexus 7 without going through the play store

Cougar

Flaperon – Member

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Think it’s buried in the ZIP file somewhere.
    Posted 2 days ago

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So have you guys managed to get Flash installed on it yet? ❓

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, whilst flash is an industry std bit of software for some banal reason it’s not installed here. So even trolling through the links above it’s quite difficult to find/d/l the correct version. I’ve d/l’d a couple and none work so now I’m bored with it and…

Bought the New iPad.

I know, how pathetic, I’ve succumb to the world of i. Yet since I’ve had it I’ve been able to stream radio and get on t’internet op the train “like” as it has a sim in it, (the Nexus doesn’t have that option) and I’m most pleased.

So the Nexus is up for sale (mail in profile if interested)

You can’t really, in all honesty, compare the two, I mean one is designed for wifi only and one is designed for people on the move (me)

Don’t get me wrong, the Nexus is a super piece of kit.

atlaz
    Free Member

Mail not in profile. Drop me a line, mine is definitely in the profile 😉

brant
    Free Member

The kids like mine more than I do. Which is fine.
    It’s just over there >>> but I am writing this on my iPhone.

chomp
    Free Member

I’m still loving mine – does exactly what I want it to and apart from missing the additional screen real estate when reading comics I have to say it’s about as good as the iPad for what I want to use it for.

I can get pretty much the same games and apps (the ones that I use regularly anyway) and being able to read off USB means I can carry a HD full of movies etc with me while on the move and just connect up and hey presto the kids can watch whatever the want.

If money wasn’t an issue and I could only have one I’d poss go for the iPad3, however money is an issue and I like the ability to read of USB.

If I’d have been certain that USB was going to work I’d have probably gone for the 8gb version and saved a few extra quid

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘I gots me Nexus 7 this ere morning..’ is closed to new replies.