Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • I got told off last night for not having reflectors on my pedals.
  • dunmail
    Free Member

The regs basically say that any light with an EU rating equivalent to BS is fine, there’s something on the CTC site that sums it all up. My commuter has lights to DIN (German) standard so that’s fine.

There’s an upper limit to the brightness of lights allowed on bikes on the road that some of the more powerful LED systems might exceed. Doesn’t help that there are different ways of measuring light intensity/output.

The law (as is so often the case) hasn’t kept up with the technology plus manufacturers aren’t going to submit lights for tests to multiple standards agencies. A lot of consumer electronics carries CE marks but I’ve no idea if there’s anything similar for things like bike lights either in existence or planned.

toby1

You should have kicked him in the nuts then said you hadn’t seen him as he had no reflectors on.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think this light set looks good for the standards, although the wording might mean that only the front light is covered:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0047TL79I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

If they made commuting light sets that only flashed then it wouldn’t be a problem as you could just use them – I think Boris bikes only have flashers.

avdave2

“yes mate I do know it’s a legal requirement but as I’m facing a charge of GBH at the moment I’m hardly going to worry about going down for no reflector pedals”

D0NK

Have you got a BS kite mark or equivalent EU standard on your lights?

when I started night riding IIRC you could use a kite marked everready nightrider or similar which weighed a tonne with their D batteries, ran out of juice after 1 or 2 good rides (apparently audax riders needed to take spares for a single event) were pathetically underpowered and often ejected from their brackets

or you could get an LED flasher that weighed less than a mars bar lasted 200hours of riding and could be seen from space, but wasn’t legal.

I’ll take visible over (badly done) legit any day, but both would be nice.
    What involves getting kite mark or similar? do the manufacturers have to pay a wedge or do they just submit sample for testing?

GrahamS

He said according to the highway code I should Have reflectors on my pedals (which I knew).

I assume he was wearing suitable high-viz?

Help other road users to see you. Wear or carry something light-coloured, bright or fluorescent in poor daylight conditions. When it is dark, use reflective materials (e.g. armbands, sashes, waistcoats, jackets, footwear), which can be seen by drivers using headlights up to three times as far away as non-reflective materials.

andysredmini
    Free Member

That highway code part for pedestrians is genius. I hope I bump into him again.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You bumped into him? 😯 Obviously he needs that Hi Viz

dunmail
    Free Member

DONK:

It’s both – they have to submit a set of samples and pay a wodge of cash. Remember this is per model and if they update the model then unless they can convince the standards authority that the change doesn’t affect the rating then they have to go through the certification again.

Depending on what is being tested, possibly the number of regulations and laws relating to that device, then you could be looking at several thousand pounds per test/certification. I know some consumer electronics devices cost upwards of €50K and take 3 months to get certified but I’m pretty certain a bicycle light won’t be at that sort of level.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘I got told off last night for not having reflectors on my pedals.’ is closed to new replies.