Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • I got 'punished' on the way to work today
  • kendonagasaki

This has reminded me of a similar incident that happened to me in Chester back in December and I was promised a follow up.
    Never happened obviously, so I’ve just sent them a message to remind them.
    Hope you’re ok OP.

Edric64
    Free Member

I found that after they rub your arm as they pass If you catch thenm shortly afterwards at the next stop and grab them warmly by the throat hey dont like it!!

WoodyCannondale
    Free Member

Whilst living in London I used to get cut up rather frequently – one particularly memorable occurrence was when a lady overshot the junction and decided to reverse back over me and my road bike. Seeing that she had nearly killed me after having knocked me over and driving over my ankle she then drove off after swearing loudly at me through her window. Thankfully she only got another 30 yards up the road before becoming stuck at a junction where I caught up with her – I proceeded to score the entire length of her range-rover with my pedal cleat to register my disdain and in a fluke accident smashed her wing mirror off. I managed to potter home after that..

popstar
    Free Member

All London buses are equiped with I-bus system. Any bus with I-bus* can be tracked to precise point give or take 2metres. CCTV footage is stored for 2 weeks on hdd. OP the official of that bus company was covering offended drivers @ss.

Now, from drivers perspective … people can make mistakes, when office worker spills coffee on keyboard all it takes is just replace new keyboard. No fuss.

When driver makes a silly mistake, it can go very wrong. It’s a bit complicated to explain what makes people become cowboys at driving but there are good and bad drivers.

You can only press for charges if you can get both parties view and CCTV evidence, but if there are no damages then ground is thin.

Report it, and forget I say.

enfht
    Free Member

With both hands on the handlebars, swing the bike in a whipping motion and your pedal will easily smash a windscreen. Does take some practice.

Glad you’re OK.

dazh

With both hands on the handlebars, swing the bike in a whipping motion and your pedal will easily smash a windscreen. Does take some practice.

Reading these stories is making me fantasise about carrying one of these again….

http://www.spservices.co.uk/item/EMI_EMIWindscreenCenterPunch_76_0_24_0.html

enfht
    Free Member

There’s a gap in the market for a cycling multi-tool which has a windscreen centre punch..

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Report it to the police. Bus companies don’t give a shit.
    I had a bus nearly hit me, only braked when I shouted at him.
    He then started saying how if he wasn’t at work he’d give me a kicking, etc.
    Right, quick u turn, back home, google where bus depot is swap cycle for motorbike.
    He comes back to depot to find me reading the riot act to his boss. he changes his mind about giving me a kicking. All of a sudden he feels very sorry….

muddodger
    Free Member

There’s a gap in the market for a cycling multi-tool which has a windscreen centre punch..

have a watch of this, you may not need one

garage-dweller

There is a world of difference between human error and malice/ deliberate law breaking. Regrettably both can have the same deadly results.

For me – human error or stupid = tell the company and be nice about it if it was genuinely injury threatening. Only if insanely stupid/lunatic would i call the cops.

Malice or deliberate law breaking is a job for the Police.

Even the most skilled and trained people in the world make human errors. Pilots, sea captains, blue light drivers and medics. It is ghastly for the victims and their families but not all accidental injury and death can be eliminated.

OP and many others yours is one for the boys in blue!

spooky_b329

I once reported a coach driver after an incident and have always regretted not pursuing it further after not getting a response.

The coach tried to overtake on a blind bend and had to pull back in behind me due to oncoming traffic. I was already riding well out but took a centre position to discourage another attempt and he immediately accelerated and tailgated me just a couple of metres away round the rest of the bend. I pulled back in as it straightened out, he passed without moving over and then pulled into the kerb forcing me to stop. I had to lean the bike over so the bars didn’t get caught in the rear wheel arch. This was all on a single bend over about 20 seconds and despite having the company name and number plate it didn’t go anywhere as far as I know 🙁

Gary_C

On (most) buses on the outside, to the rear, is a button clearly marked ‘Emergency Engine Stop’… 😈

eyerideit
    Free Member

Now, from drivers perspective … people can make mistakes, when office worker spills coffee on keyboard all it takes is just replace new keyboard. No fuss.

When driver makes a silly mistake, it can go very wrong. It’s a bit complicated to explain what makes people become cowboys at driving but there are good and bad drivers.

The thing is if it was a mistake, I wouldn’t have started this thread, he knew exactly what he was doing. H e was teaching me a lesson for ‘taking up too much space’. The minute I saw him pull up next to me I have an inkling what he would do. However I didn’t for one minute think he’d actually do it, if I didn’t stop he would have knocked me off.

That kind of behaviour is unacceptable, that’s why I’ve made a complaint. I have no doubt in my mind he’ll teach other cyclists a lesson and they might be so lucky – it could even be a child’s face next time!

neilnevill
    Free Member

I reported a London bus driver using the Tfl website some 6 months ago. Was in the car, crossing Waterloo bridge and the bus changed lanes making me to do an emergency stop to not get totalled. Bus behind saw it all and the driver insisted I must report it as all buses have cctv and the driver would be punished.

I got an email a few days later. Usual stuff… We take these matters very seriously…. Driver will be questioned….. Our policy is to not reveal the results of any internal investigation.

I can only hope the sentiment of the letter is honest and the driver was appropriately wanted and the incident noted on his performance record.

You should take this incident further OP, this driver is a danger to all road users and his passengers.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I had a bus driver do something similar. On a busy street he overtook me and pulled hard left to a bus stop, i overtook him again and carried on.
    he did the same thing again, and again i overtook him once more.
    As a car was overtaking me the bus screamed up behind and overtook both me AND the car passing me – he was completely on the other side of the white line in order to do this.
    I passed him again as he stopped to pick up passengers, and he pulled up right behind me as i waited at the lights to turn left onto a dual carriageway.
    He got very close behind me and started revving his engine in what i could only interpret as a threatening manner.
    When the lights changed i set off and he passed me very close before pulling hard into the kerb forcing me to stop.
    At no point had i even looked at the driver of the bus so i can only assume he had some sort of pathological hatred of cyclists.
    I reported him but got the standard fob-off in reply.

senorj

In all my time pedalling in and around London , it is always the buses that scare me the most. I had a period when I was sure all the drivers within a mile of Finsbury Park station were out to kill me.

o.p. glad you’re ok btw.

just5minutes
    Free Member

I made a bus driver get off his bus and apologise after squeezing me against some railings as he pulled in at a stop . I just leaned my bike up in front of the bus and stood there until the abuse from his passengers who had actually noticed the crazy move was sufficient to encourage him to get out and apologise properly.

zeus
    Free Member

Sounds like this bloke was completely out of hand and well done for reporting him. But to be fair (sorry to spoil the bus driver bashing party), I think, in general, London’s TFL bus drivers are some of the better/more courteous on the road. I have more problems from privateers and taxis.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Tell Boris!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Smashing windscreens and threatening drivers with violence isn’t going to help anyone.

I’m a regular London commuter and I see bad driving from bus drivers all the time, I regularly get passed by a bus which then pulls in and stops, forcing me to take avoiding action.

I wear a helmet cam. On occasion I’ve calmly tapped on the window and asked the driver exactly why they cut me in, whilst pointing out that I’ve recorded everything. More often than not I receive an apology, which is all I ask for, everyone makes mistakes and I’m sure I’ve driven like a total tawt in my time too.

If a bus driver is aggressive toward you then don’t bother with the bus company, go straight to the Police. If you’ve got a helmet cam then you’re the one in possession of a recording of evidence, not the bus company.

Doug
    Free Member

If a bus passes you then pulls up for a stop just to drop off then chances are the bell wasnt pressed till after they were committed to overtaking. If there are passenger waiting there then that’s a different matter, poor planning or deliberate. If they do it repeatedly to me then they usually find their engine compartment door mysteriously comes loose at the next stop with the resulting cab alarm going off.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Had a similar incident yesterday afternoon, but with a car. I was riding round the local one way system. I was in the left lane, but in the middle of it as I was travelling at the same speed of the traffic. Car overtook me, cut across very close to me, got in front and immediately braked as the traffic ahead was stopped at a traffic light. I had to skid the back wheel to stop myself going into the back of him, and the odd expletive came out of my mouth – I was satisfied to notice that his window was down so he would have heard. It was obvious that he felt I shouldn’t be in the middle of the lane, despite being in a safe place within the flow of traffic.

We carried on for a bit, me behind him. Got to a roundabout and he was going straight on, while I wanted to turn right. Traffic was stationary, so I moved up the outside of him. Noticed that he was doing the nescafe shuffle hand signal and looking at me in the mirror. Got up alongside his drivers door, stopped and just leaned my head down to make eye contact with him. Didn’t say a word. Pudgy fellow – realised I’m actually quite a big guy. He immediately looked extremely uncomfortable. Hand signals stopped and the window went straight up.

I just gave him a nice big smile and rode off.

drlex
    Free Member

On (most) buses on the outside, to the rear, is a button clearly marked ‘Emergency Engine Stop

Tempting, but since it usually requires mechanic call-out to reset, you’ll probably have 1) upset passengers hating bikers & 2) driver getting overtime for being late finishing.

mickolas
    Free Member

Any news on this?

eyerideit
    Free Member

Sorry I’ve been on my jollies, but there has been some news.

I got an email from the bus company last week and called them back on Monday.

They’ve reviewed the footage and have found the driver was clearly in the wrong and are now in the process of taking action against him. But unfortunately I’ll never know what that ‘action’ is and the outcome of it due to employment laws ect. Which is a shame as I feel I should have a right to find out. Could I ask for a written apology or would that be a violation of his human rights?

I’ve requested the CCTV footage as well which I have to pay £10 for (not happy about that, but will do) and will pass it on to the Police – who have decided there is not enough evidence to pursue a conviction. Hopefully with this additional footage they will change their minds. However I somehow doubt it.

I can try though. For the bus company to side with me clearly shows this driver has issues and needs to be sorted out.

So that’s everything for now, I’ll post the footage up when I get it, if the police still feel it’s not worth pursuing. It won’t be a impressive as the Chinese stunt driver pics though.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Good luck.

IanW
    Free Member

The incident has left you too shaken to cycle on the roads, civil action?

hora
    Free Member

Always confront and always report.

I had a close miss with a refrigerated truck who then did the same to a female cyclist infront of me. Mine was sort of close hers was amiracle. Grey dank early am. Him in black shades. His company called me back 2/3 times to clarify detail. If the driver is a repeat offender hopefully he/she will be stopped ‘in time’.

eyerideit
    Free Member

The incident has left you too shaken to cycle on the roads, civil action?

Not really, I’m riding everyday. I wouldn’t let some sh1tbag bus driver scare me off the roads or even lie about it.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘I got 'punished' on the way to work today’ is closed to new replies.