Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • I got 'punished' on the way to work today
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

The driver or a 19 bus kindly decided to teach me a lesson on Piccadilly today.

There was only myself and him on the west bound carriageway stopped at a crossing at the time. For some reason he felt the need to go into the outside lane and then try to push me into the kerb as he pulled in to make a stop!

Why? Because he said I was taking up too much road (I was 1m from the kerb), so he took it upon himself to tell me how it is.

I’ve reported him to TFL, apparently they take these things very seriously. We’ll wait and see eh?

I did confront him and called him a few names which I do regret but his actions were deliberate and he was in no way apologetic for his actions.

[vent] Sorry if this is a rant, just very very angry [/vent and breath]

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You did the right thing in reporting him

shermer75
    Free Member

+1. Let us know how it goes…

rootes1

and he will have video evidence as most buses record from camera front and back and inside on a rolling basis

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Good effort fella. These chinless pricks need to realise that just because they are inside a steel box doesnt give them the right to intimidate & endanger others.

kiwijohn

A mate of mine has a record for punching bus drivers who cut him up.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Good move on reporting, to retain high ground if they ask for detail admit name calling and appologise for it, heat of the traumatic moment etc.

allthepies
    Free Member

[vent] Sorry if this is a rant, just very very angry [/vent and breath]

Tags misaligned 😉

billyboy
    Free Member

A bus deliberately closed me out as I went down the cycle lane in Shaftsbury Avenue last week. There was no other logical reason for his actions. I made the universaly accepted “why” gesture and cycled round his offside.
    I figure that folk get these strange ideas in their heads sometimes. The authorities are giving a strong indication they aren’t going to enforce road rules, so there ain’t much you or I can do…………other than trying to make sure we aren’t casualties.

vertebratetom

I’ve had a bus force me into a parked car and then, after I’d passed him at a stop, overtake me with his doors open so he could shout abuse at me 😯 . I told him he should probably be looking where he was going, not out of the door.

Apparently you’re not allowed to trackstand at traffic lights…

Good work reporting him.

andeh

I think you have every right to call him names, he could have killed you! Drivers of all kinds seem to have a weird detachment that lets them do stupid things without believing in a consequence.

You did right to report him, keep us informed!

We ride on the left as a courtesy to other road users, not because we have to. If you ride in the gutter then people take advantage and cut you up/get too close/flick fag ends out the window at you. Every lane is a bike lane……except motorways 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

I can’t believe the driver of a 19 would be so cruel – that’s my favourite bus route. 🙁

rusty90
    Free Member

We ride on the left as a courtesy to other road users

Well put.

franksinatra

Your description makes me think of that horrific incident where a driver used his bus to take out a rider. I think he got jail? It was chilling.

Let us know what comes from this

shermer75
    Free Member

piha
    Free Member

I had to jump out of the way of a bus in Mile End as I crossed a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing yesterday. He decided to not stop at the white line and keep rolling over the bike box (is that what it is called?) and onto the ped crossing area whilst the traffic lights were red and the green man showing. 🙄

He declined the opportunity to discuss his manoeuvre with me! 🙂

project
    Free Member

Why? Because he said I was taking up too much road (I was 1m from the kerb), so he took it upon himself to tell me how it is.

So half the width of a car, and a lot less than the width of a delivery van or truck, you may want to remind TFL, that 1 metre plus is the depth the they bury coffins at and that you wouldnt expect a bus to pass closer than a metre.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Keep us informed incase TFL get in contact.

I once saw an enourmous guy in Kilburn (6′ 6″ and almost as wide – SAS tpye guy), after being cut off similarly to the way you described, calmly lean his bike against the front of the bus, pull of the windscreen wiper and ride away. All of the commuters had to get off the bus and wait for the next one. Glad you didn’t go that far!

project
    Free Member

Under the data protection regulation cctv is regulated and you can ask for cctv dvd off the bus, and any street side cctv, but you need to do it quick and in writing, incase it gets wiped.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Under the data protection regulation cctv is regulated and you can ask for cctv dvd off the bus, and any street side cctv, but you need to do it quick and in writing, incase it gets wiped.

I think I will ask for some CCTV, this guy is bloody dangerous. That’s what made me so angry, he wanted to knock me off.

spawnofyorkshire

i had one a while back where i was cycling up the hill home from the station happily in my cycle lane when the bus decided to overtake me then drive in the cycle lane all the way up the hill.
    I wasn’t very happy as i got a gobfull of diesel fumes. I crest the hill and he’s in traffic now, just as i’m about to pass the line of traffic he sticks the nose of the bus back into the cycle lane to block me off. I anchor on and only just miss slamming into the side of the bus. Driver pulls off with a poo-eating grin on his face.
    Whilst composing myself another bus from that company pulls alongside and that driver checks if I’m OK (not all bus drivers are heartless)

i did absolutely nothing to prompt the behavior of the first bus driver

I put my complaint in to the company and never heard anything back

lets hope TFL are better

IanW
    Free Member

had a similar thing with a local bus, the driver would partially overtake me just prior to stopping and pull in each time trapping between the bus and the curb.

Happpened about three time as ovetook then stopped bus on the third time i pulled up to his window and asked why he kept trying to kill me with his bus.

The driver threw a punch out of the window.

I reported him, they didnt seem too intrested but I didnt see him anymore and have ridden the route daily since.

As always there are a lot of thick c*** humans about, some of them end up in charge of vehicles.

Report it, forget it.

zilog6128

I wasn’t very happy as i got a gobfull of diesel fumes.

This is what annoys me the most about bus drivers. They’re always desperate to overtake a cyclist thus making him/her sit in the fumes, despite the fact they have to make another stop 30s later.

thebunk

Has happened to me before, in Bristol. Still no idea what I had done to deserve it, but it’s bloody scary.

Definitely worth reporting if the driver works for a business. They will take it seriously as it can hit their bottom line if they get sued, or there is bad publicity.

Doesn’t take much time, just stop, note the time, location and the bus number and send them an email.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

calmly lean his bike against the front of the bus, pull of the windscreen wiper and ride away. All of the commuters had to get off the bus and wait for the next one.

I like that a lot……

Bus drivers are, like other drivers, a mixed bunch. I always let them pull out if they’re indicating and most of them are considerate and give space.

BUT… a significant minority sit in ASZ’s, jump red lights and I was put in hospital by one who gave me a punishment pass.

Simple fact is that bikes and buses shouldn’t be sharing a lane – it doesn’t work.

brakes
    Free Member

for every nice bus driver there are dicks like this.
    and it’s completely illogical for them to do it as all they are doing is inconveniencing you, it will not make their route any quicker.

most infuriating time for me was riding to the top of a long hard hill, a bus was picking up about 50ms from the top, he leaned out of his window and saw me, waited for bit and then pulled out right infront of me so that I had to stop. that was just vindictive.
    and it was made doubly annoying as I was on for a Strava PB up that hill 😀

Underhill
    Free Member

Report to bus company, report to police too. One thing a transport company do not want is attention from traffic branch.

And follow up with transport company. If you make a complaint they should at least be acknowledging it.

nosedive
    Free Member

dude – you have to call the police, the bus company have no interest in this being seen as a criminal act, which it clearly is.

Don’t rely on the police doing the leg work to get the CCTV though, best off doing that yourself if it needs to be done quickly

eyerideit
    Free Member

Just been on the phone to the bus company to ask for CCTV and got the run around. They wouldn’t even give me the Accident Prevention officers name.

They only keep the footage for 5 days as well, which is very handy for them and apparently they don’t know how many number 19 busses were running in Piccadilly between Fortnum and Mason at about 8.45 this morning.

Does anyone know who I ask for street CCTV footage, is it the Local Council?

jruk
    Free Member

Have you posted anything on Twitter? Usually pretty good for getting attention if you include the right people / #.

project
    Free Member

Local council for cctv, data protection oficer or cctv control room ask for names etc and put it in writing via email and follow it up.

Go on the bus comapnies website and look for the details of their head office and ring them direct, not the local garage, and ring tfl.

duntmatter
    Free Member

apparently they don’t know how many number 19 busses were running in Piccadilly between Fortnum and Mason at about 8.45 this morning.

I wouldn’t take this at face value. I heard a driver chatting to someone this morning saying that the bus company can tell exactly where the bus is, how long for, when it stops and starts, etc.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Have you reported it via Met Police Roadsafe?

https://secure.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

kimbers

I had a coach try and run me into the kerb as i was filtering down the inside through stationary traffic on the A4 past hammersmith

I could see the driver and his mate laughing at me in his wing mirror

my trusty old x-lite bar end-caps left a nice long gouge down his paintwork while I hopped onto the pavement and smiled happily

project
    Free Member

apparently they don’t know how many number 19 busses were running in Piccadilly between Fortnum and Mason at about 8.45 this morning.

I wouldn’t take this at face value. I heard a driver chatting to someone this morning saying that the bus company can tell exactly where the bus is, how long for, when it stops and starts, etc.

Most buses are GPS tracked with a screen at the depot, and drivers get a bonus for saving fuel all mapped out on the GPS, abnnd also the ticket machines record the times as well and location.

Bus enthusiast.

Kryton57

Glad your ok eyerideit.

There’s been a cyclist orientated advertising in the metro / evening standard and is a hot topic for Boris – email him directly mayor@london.gov.uk

Also politically email this to LBC radio. They have strong views on this and the ability to discuss with TFL / Boris directly and love to highlight these issues, specifically when there is open campaigning going on.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I got run off the road by a bus-driver once. Wasn’t vindictive, he just didn’t see me (despite overtaking me with loads of space – didn’t check his left wing mirror before pulling back in)

Read this:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-got-side-swiped-by-a-school-bus

Anyway, I was going to complain to the bus company, but went straight to the police who got their own CCTV, found the name of the bus driver, and went round to his house to ask him down to the station for a chat. Never had a problem with any local busses since – they all give me loads of room.

Moral of the story: get a witness (maybe too late) & get the police involved.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve already filed a complaint with TFL and have contacted the bus company for CCTV

I’ll report it on the way home.

Thanks for all the advice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘I got 'punished' on the way to work today’ is closed to new replies.