Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I got hit by a taxi, and my head hurts, but should my pocket
  • Mr-Rubble
    Free Member

Hi everyone,
    As the title suggest I was involved in an accident the other night, i was cycling home and the on coming car decided, without warning, to cross lanes in order to make his right hand turn, giving me no time to react. I ended up hitting his rear quarter. I am fine and been to hospital to get a clean bill of health. There was no damage to his car, however my frame is severely bent. So who puts up for the new frame me or him?????? How would i go about getting the money out of him if that is the route i take.
    Also I was running carbon forks, they look straight but how do I tell if they are still safe?
    Regards Mr Rubble

MrNutt
    Free Member

so he turned just in front of you causing you to hit his rear quarter? he pays and I'd bin the forks too.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Did he stop? Police involved? Any witnesses? Insurance details?

If you're not a member of BC or CTC (hint: everyone who cycles really ought to be…) then try one of those no-win-no-fee outfits: I'm sure peeps on here can recommend some.

Probs best, as per Monsieur Nutt, to ditch the plastic forks.

zaskar
    Free Member

Have insurance or legal cover-contact asap.

Write down what happened, witnesses? and draw a diagram.

I wouldn't use those forks again. I replaced mine after a kid pulled out on me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I bet there was damage to the car, no car sustains and impact like that without damage! However it's his fault, he pays. Making that happen is harder.

Mr-Rubble
    Free Member

MrNutt, yeah that is right,he turned just in front of me causing me to hit him.

The police where passing by so they were involved. I have his address and name, which the police checked to be correct. The police kept everything else i was in the ambulance, got a bit of concussion, so let the police do there work while i supped on some oxygen.

I am not a member of BC or CTC, so is the only route a no win no fee outfit?

scaredypants

any witnesses ?
    you WERE using lights, I assume

If yes, then I'd have thought you'll be OK

(edit, yeh – police are usually acceptable as witnesses)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I had a similar problem a few years ago, I was going straight on at a crossroads and she was coming from the opposite directio and turned into the side of me. Mounted the bonnet and bounced off the windscreen. Thankfully I was unhurt but the bike was a right off. Got her details and phoned her and got her insurance details and got money for a new bike. Presumably if he's licensed he won't want any trouble and will pass on his insurance details.

Mr-Rubble
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Apparently no damage to the car, according to the police, he said he would be a witness as well, which is good.

I was using lights, and had a bright lime coloured top with a reflective stripe on it, also the road had street lighting.

bananaworld
    Free Member

In my haste to ensure you got the cash-cow ball rolling I completely forgot to say: glad to hear you're ok! 🙂

Mr-Rubble
    Free Member

Cheers for your concern and input everyone, i have put in a claim. I will let you know if i get anything.
    Mr Rubble

sofatester
    Free Member

When you get your "money" let us know. We can help you spend it! 😀

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Similar thing happened to me, oooh about 9 yrs ago. My local soliciters got me just short of £3k. I had no bad injuries but the bike needed a new front wheel, fork,bars,stem, seat and seatpost.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I got hit by a taxi, and my head hurts, but should my pocket’ is closed to new replies.