Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • I got a parking ticket in ASDA
  • cheers_drive

So which one of these is the op in Asda (Walmart)

MartynS

but what happens if you forget to pay the fine charge?

Worse case is a CCJ that affects your credit rateing how 6 years.

O.P. First port of call is to go to shop..insist on speaking to manager to see if they will cancel/help. They DO have the power to sort this. Many can’t be bothered though.

You may have some work to do yourself. You can appeal and win. Go have a good look around pepipoo and the private parking section.
    Be careful of advice on MSE quite a lot of it is still just ignore, don’t ignore!
    Be prepared to go all the way to court, I guarantee if you don’t get the shop to sort and you do the appeal it will be rejected.
    Go have a read round and decide how much you time is worth to deal with this.

darrell
    Free Member

the best approach – if you can bothered – is to write to the company and politely tell them you will not pay the invoice and you think it is wrong because of……remember this is an invoice not a fine

they will in most cases then threaten you with this and the other but all bark no bite. then it’ll be forgotten. If it goes to court they have to prove the 3 hours etc….

whereas you can can actually say you were shopping for more than 3 hours and they have to prove otherwise

Drac

3 hours in a supermarket? 😯

franksinatra

Point of order, he got fined for spending MORE THAN 3 hrs.

So OP, how long was it….?

Jamie
    Free Member

So OP, how long was it….?

He’s still there.

Camped out in aisle 4, near the cheese.

nant
    Free Member

I’ve just spent 15 minutes in Tesco and that was hellish enough. 3hours!!!

nealglover
    Free Member

they will in most cases then threaten you with this and the other but all bark no bite. then it’ll be forgotten. If it goes to court they have to prove the 3 hours etc….

whereas you can can actually say you were shopping for more than 3 hours and they have to prove otherwise

If it goes to court, and the OP says he was shopping for more than 3 hours as you suggest, he will be “working for the prosecution”
    Because that is precisely what the parking ticket is for.

globalti
    Free Member

Isn’t ASDA some kind of supermarket? I haven’t set foot inside one of those for about ten years; a nice chap in a van brings our shopping every week leaving me more time to ride my bike.

franksinatra

He’s still there.

Camped out in aisle 4, near the cheese.

Nope, he is looking at the offers on Oreo’s

longmover
    Free Member

This is why mum’s go to Iceland

mattyfez

If it goes to court they’ll have to prove their financial losses as you ‘took a space from a paying customer’.

If you are genuinely a paying customer, and can prove you spend a fair amount, a 3 hour shop I’d imagine you did spend a fair amount, then they’d have to prove what you really cost them, I. E. Not much if anything *probably * IANAL.

The main purpose of the implied parking contract is to prevent people using the place as a free car park causing inconvenience to paying customers, and the store subsequently loosing sales.

But yes it’s an invoice for alleged breach of contract, it’s not a fine.

user-removed
    Free Member

Three hours in Asda. Honestly, I thought my life sucked (it does but even one hour in Ikea is unbearable).

Its about time this sort of thing was outlawed together with pay & display.
    Replace with a barrier system if unauthorised parking is that much of a problem.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Send them a charge for taking away three hours of your life in their hell-hole.

£70 should cover it, £40 if they pay now.

theotherjonv

If it goes to court they’ll have to prove their financial losses as you ‘took a space from a paying customer’

Not any more, previous court ruling that it can be of a value sufficient to act as a deterrent without being unreasonable (“a clause will not be regarded as a penalty if it ‘serves a legitimate purpose’ and is not ‘manifestly excessive’ “.

It no longer has to be directly attributable to costs incurred.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2013-0280-press-summary.pdf

ParkingEye Vs Beavis

In this case, seems like you have an admission already that you overstayed so not worth appealing on the grounds that you didn’t. There may be other ‘get outs’ such as signage, etc., and other sites can advise on that. But seems to me your best bet is to deal with ASDA / the store directly and ask them to waive it out of goodwill given you can show (I assume) that you were spending money with them the whole time. As the Parking Co in essence work for ASDA, they in the end can call them off.

Ignoring it is not IMHO an option, since the Beavis ruling there is a high likelihood it will be pursued (others will disagree, i wouldn’t risk it) and as said you could end up with a CCJ if you ignore it to the ultimate degree.

theotherjonv

mum’s go to Iceland

I’m fining you £85 for that catostrophe. £50 if you pay within 14 day’s 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

I can only assume someone at your Asda thought “no one in their right mind will spend more than 2 hours here so we’ll tag on an extra hour just in case and make that the limit”. So you basically spent more time there than someone who works for Asda believed anyone could possibly want to…

Coyote
    Free Member

Now, I love shopping. I do the vast majority of the cooking so I like to pick up the ingredients or look for recipe ideas. Inspiration if you will. However. 3 HOURS!!! I couldn’t even shop in the Trafford Centre for that long (yes, I like clothes shopping too… 😳 ) Even allowing for full breakfast @ 40 mins tops and some browsing home wares and cheap sub standard garments the latest range from George, how did you spend 3 hours in an ASDA?

Pay the fine as penance and then take a good long hard look at your life.

BoardinBob

So much bad and conflicting advice here

Go to the Pepipoo forum and get advice from experts

Northwind

It’s different in Scotland but I got one for overstaying in a retail park car park and I thoroughly enjoyed the stream of letters, the various notes of threatening and wheedling were fun. One week “WE HAVE ADVISED OUR CLIENT TO TAKE LEGAL ACTION AND YOUR FINE HAS GONE UP TO ONE MILLION POUNDS”, the next “Oh go on, just give us a quid and we’ll go away. Please? We’ll get in trouble if you don’t pay”

Harry_the_Spider

Watching with interest. One minute over in Morrison’s this morning.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘I got a parking ticket in ASDA’ is closed to new replies.