Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I give up, I need some glasses.
  • dazh

After being in denial for about 2 years when after my last eye test the optician told me I needed glasses, I’ve finally admitted defeat after not being able to read something on my phone the other day.

So, where’s best/cheapest place to get a new eye test and some glasses? One of the big places like Boots, Specsavers etc, or a smaller more local opticians? Could do with getting sorted before the end of next week if possible, as I’m off on holiday and would like to read a book or two, which I can’t currently do.

mogrim

Sad, isn’t it? A couple of years back I was fine, but mine never leave my face now – at least I don’t need them for driving or riding a bike. Yet.

Can’t help with recommendations, only posting to commiserate with a fellow oldie 🙂

danti

Spec savers for eye test and Wilkinsons/Boots for glasses.

allthepies
    Free Member

Reading glasses ? Currently rocking some £7 specs from Superdrug @ work, the Wilko £3.50 jobs are pretty good too.

bruneep

mono contact lens is the way forward

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yeah, same here, 12 months ago I was fine, now I struggle with small print without light, text on the phone is a bit blurred, other people can read stuff I’m struggling with, which was never the case before.

BigDummy
    Free Member

A local optician is probably not the cheapest, but I had a very pleasing relationship with one near work for some years. The chap who did the eye tests remembered me from year to year, and the woman who sold me frames had a reasonable feel for what I did and did not like and look OK in, which was efficient and flattering.

🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m 52 now and have needed reading glasses since I was about 40. It’s a part of getting older.

Get an eye test anywhere, spec savers, boots etc. Do not surcome to pressure to buy your glasses there. They are expensive.

I have a range of glasses from £200, £100 to £3. Reading glasses can be very cheap and they are easy to buy, they are less “technical” than for longer distance. There is no doubt that the more expansive lenses are better but it’s the frames you get charged far too much for. I have quite a few pairs of the cheapies and the expansive ones are for work meetings where iimage / appearance is important (eg when I am wearing a suit and tie etc). Another point is you will u doubtable loose / break the glasses not least as you won’t be used to remembering them / not putting them in your back pocket before sitting down.

Finally larger format phones like iPhone 6/6+ or Samsung equivalent with the text on larger size are they way to go 😉 I can still read those easily without my glasses

mintimperial

TBH in several decades of wearing specs I found that opticians are incredibly variable and there’s no real rules for spotting good or bad ones. High-street chains can be better than little independents, but can change overnight when staff move on. Pop in to one that looks promising and have a chat with them. If you don’t like them move on to the next one. Get a prescription but don’t feel that you have to buy their specs. Make sure you get the pupil distance measurement too so you can order specs yourself if you want to.

I’ve spent thousands on glasses over the years, but the best pair of specs I ever owned I bought online for twenty quid…

dazh

Thousands? 😯

It’ll be more expensive but I reckon I’m after somewhere where I can do the test then get some glasses there and then, as I know what will happen, I’ll get the prescription and it’ll be thrown in a drawer to remain there for another two years with no glasses to accompany it 🙂

mintimperial

True, if you do buy from a proper shop then you’ll be sure you’ve got the right thing, probably a good idea for your first pair.

Thousands?

Yes, but the specs were for moderately bad short-sightedness, so I needed to wear them all the time, not just for reading. Thinner lenses, decent frames, prescription sunglasses – it all adds up. Couple of hundred quid every year or two, over thirty years, most of those before online opticians were a thing = thousands, even if you’re not going nuts on designer frames all the time.

*Was – I got my eyes lazered last year. **** brilliant. 😀

chip
    Free Member

Recently got my eyes tested and reading glasses in asda. No complaints.
    Although had to wait just under two weeks before they were ready.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

You get what you pay for . My Oakley are very lightweight and the rubber grip on the arm gets more sticky if wet . 200 notes well spent .

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A local optician is probably not the cheapest, but I had a very pleasing relationship with one near work for some years.

Let me guess, it was that awkward, silent, tense moment during the eyesight test when their face is a mere 1.5mm from yours…could go either way.? I usually giggle. Glad it worked out for you both! 😛

DrJ

Sad, isn’t it?

Could be worse. My gf says I look sexy in glasses. Maybe she needs some too 🙁

aP
    Free Member

** sighs ** My last glasses were £850.
    And I think I’m going to take my short distance work glasses off, pack my bags and put on my new-ish dark glasses to cycle home, with a pint on the way.
    I like my independent opticians. They’re not cheap, but I get excellent service (and I don’t pay for eye-tests anyway as my prescription is really quite high).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I used £5 cheapo specs from the supermarket for a year or so but got fed up of them falling apart so went to a local ‘cheap glasses’ optician and got three ‘good’ pairs for £15 each. Really surprised and pleased at the improvement in quality. Look much the same as the £120 pair I was offered at Specsavers

bikebouy
    Free Member

Speak up will you 😆

#squints

eltonerino

I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 7. My favourite of the chain shops is vision express, least favourite is spec savers.

I have a narrow face so I have to get teenagers glasses, vision express is one of the better places for them.

loddrik
    Free Member

avdave2

You’ll need a roll of this as well loddrick

I shall be 50 tomorrow and ready to face the fact that I do need reading glasses at least some of the time.

mrben101
    Free Member

I’d go to an indie – find a decent one and you’re sorted. Always had a better experience than at a chain store. Been wearing specs for 20+ years. They can be a bit more expensive but I figured my eyes are worth it.

Where are you based? Maybe some one could recommend somewhere near you? If you are near Birmingham I can recommend one.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I was doing well until my 53rd year (last year)when I bought some cheap glasses from the PO, but decided I needed some proper ones and had a test at spe savers and bought two pairs for £85. I can get by without them in good light but in bad light no chance! 🙁

BigJohn

If you have reading glasses they spend most of the time in your pocket. I used to break mine on a regular basis. Varifocals tend to be on your face more and less prone to break.
    I went over to mono contact lenses a year ago and I find them excellent unless I have been cooking with chilies before taking them out.

Edukator
    Free Member

I bought my first pair from Lidl in Germany in 2005 for 1.5e. They are on my nose now. The optician said they were fine. I’ve now got several pairs of varying strength for everything from using the computer which doesn’t require much magnification to soldering small parts which requires lots. If the only correction you need is for distance then glasses are just a pair of magnifying glasses. If you already have a significant spherical/conical correction supermarket glasses won’t work.

Variable focus isn’t for everybody or everything. If you only need a narrow horizontal band to be in focus they’re fine, if you need all your field of vision to be in focus they are hard work.

I reckon you need at least five pairs. One in the car, one near the computer, one in the bedroom , one in the bike bag, one in the day sac. Even with all those you’ll be uttering “anybody seen my glasses?” for the rest of your life.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have gone into the opticians to get glassez. Left to my own devices I managed to find two pairs I didn’t feel I looked rediculous in but could I decide which pair I preffered? No, no I could not. So I awaited approach from lovely spectacle lady she asked me to put them both on which I dutifully. She said she could understand why I was having difficulty as they were very similar.

Very similar.

Very very similar.

Very very very similar.

Exactly the same glasses.

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

£20 from the optician. 20:20 vision according to test but small print is becoming a challenge

T666DOM

Spectacles are alot like bicycles. You can spend very little or very much. Essentially you’ll be buying the same thing, a frame with 2 lenses or a frame with 2 wheels.

You get what you pay for. Not that the cheaper option won’t work perfectly well in just the same way a £70 argos bso will do the same job as a £7k carbon FS, just with a few more bells & whistles.

bruneep

and a pair for top of your head. “now where are my glasses?”

sadexpunk

just found this after wondering whether there’d been a thread on this subject. just been to vision express for a test as i know i need reading glasses now at 50.
    was surprised to walk out with the prescription as i thought itd make more sense for them to keep records ‘in-store’, maybe theyre not allowed?

anyways, i looked at all the uninspiring frames at £50 and was told by friends id be better off getting some online. after a quick google it seems theyre right.

my ‘near’ results are +1.50 for each eye, my ‘dist’ results are +0.25 and plano, my aided VA results are 6/4-1 both eyes.

am i right in thinking i just need to buy a pair online at +1.50, the other figures arent important? or do they tell you how wide your pupils are apart? just wondering how to select a frame size, or is that why id maybe not be better off buying online, and go into a shop?

i like the look of stainless or gunmetal frames, which seem readily available online.

thanks

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I give up, I need some glasses.’ is closed to new replies.