Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • I give in…
  • mark d
    Free Member

Trying to fit Maxxis 3C TR 27.5x 2.8 tyres onto Stans Hugo rims.
    I’ve run Stans Crest for years with many different tyre combos, always easy to seat and inflate. Thought I knew the tricks/ process.
    Always wondered why so many people hate tubeless and ask how to fit etc, always been good for me.
    May have to go to the lbs with my tail between my legs and ask for help…

tthew

What’s the exact problem?

mark d
    Free Member

I just can’t get the tyre onto the rim.
    Brute force/ broken tyre levers.
    The trick was always to seat the beads into the centre of the rim, couple of scoops of goo then put the rest of the tyre in and inflate.
    I can’t even get the actual tyre on.
    LBS will get a few quid out of me tomorrow.
    Just frustrated as it’s normally something I don’t even think about.

Denis99
    Free Member

Have you tried to use some sealant on the bead of the tyre / rim , to help with getting the tyre to (hopefully) slide over the rim and seat?

Even if the bike shop manage to seat the tyre, it might be a tad difficult to remove if you have a puncture out on the trail.

lawman91

I’ve run Crests in the past also and they were a nightmare to get certain tyres, a set of Schwalbe Muddy marys particularly springs to mind, but always got there in the end. Recently fitted my new Pro 4/Arch Mk3 wheels to my T130 and got the tyres on without tyre levers and with my Lezyne overdrive pump they seated first time. Fitted the stock HR II/Crossmark II combo and it was genuinely piss easy.

Stan’s rims seem to be a bit hit and miss with tyres and ease of getting them, it took the guys in our workshop 3 hours to fit a set of Challenge Strada Bianca’s to a set of Grails!

scaredypants

put the tyre on a different rim overnight with a tube in, to give it a stretch out ?

looking at a pic of the rim profile, the biggest channel is not the centre but nearer to the edge/bead seat – try gettijg the beads in there ?

belugabob
    Free Member

As per various previous similar threads, this bad boy really helps with stubborn rim/tyre combos…

Kool Stop Tyre Jack

mark d
    Free Member

Belugabob; many thanks; purchased, will give it a go

clipper247
    Free Member

Are the Kool Stop any good for MTB tyres? All the reviews I have seen suggest they are great for roadie but not for MTB use. As I have thumbs of cheese, I’m really tempted if they work on nobbly ones

tomhoward

If the tyre jack doesn’t work, try parks heavy duty steel levers (TL5C)

Having used them for 10 years and what must be hundreds of tyre changes, I’ve every confidence they could get 20″ BMX tyres onto 29er rims…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPszzDpnZQ8[/video]

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Had the same issue recently. Didn’t try the Kool Stop tool but the crank brothers speedier lever was the only thing that did the job, even that was a struggle.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/tools_speedierlever

Doesn’t seem like it’ll last that long as the plastic is a little soft, but did the trick eventually.

Was dreading the first puncture as was sure i’d never got them off/on again, but wasn’t too bad so time inflated with a tube in did the trick.
    …you just have to be able to get them on in the first place!

parkstar
    Free Member

Pedros downhill tyre lever is the answer

http://pedros.com/products/tools/wheel-and-tire/downhill-tire-lever/

will never snap, just be wary of your rims

greyspoke
    Free Member

greasing the tyre bead and rim at the final difficult bit has helped me in some cases.

Bream
    Free Member

That Kool Stop looks pretty handy, after a similar experience earlier this year I bought something similar to that Pedros DH lever but you have to be careful when using it not to damage something.

jamj1974

I use a strong car shampoo solution to lubricate the rim and bead. That helps.

mark d
    Free Member

That video is great if the tyre goes on. It’s not just an inch or two that I’m struggling to get on, it’s half the tyre.
    I think it’s because I ditched 26″ in favour of this new fangled plus size and now the world is against me

faustus

sure you’ve not been sent a 29er rim by mistake!? Sounds odd you can’t even get one side of the tyre anywhere near on…

pedlad

Put the tyre next to a radiator for a while to get some heat into it maybe?

P20

Even if you manage to get it on, what happens if the tyre won’t seal out on the trail? It’ll be a nightmare to put a tube in.

Duc
    Free Member

If you’re trying to fit to a hugo in the normal way you would a crest that will be your problem. Its difficult to explain but you need to put the rim inside the tyre and work the bead over. otherwise you can get it stuck on the central ridge and it takes up all the slack in the tyre bead.

At least thats how I have to do it on the 29+ Hugo

mark d
    Free Member

Thanks Duc. One side of the tyre will seat, so I know it’s the correct size.
    I will sit it next to the radiator Pedlad, good idea.
    I’m leaning towards sending the tyres back and going with a different manufacturer, though I love Maxxis.
    As other people have suggested, if it’s this much of a nightmare now, what if it happens on the trail?
    Many thanks for all replies, as always, very helpful

pedlad

Put the tyre next to a radiator for a while to get some heat into it maybe?

flange
    Free Member

As mentioned above, stick them on the radiator for a bit. Sounds daft, but I had some Challenge Strada’s that I tried to fit on a set of Hunt wheels. Stood in a cold garage there was no chance of me getting them on (wheel may have been flung out the garage at one point). Stuck them on the radiator for a bit, made myself a brew then fitted them in the kitchen – went on without the need for levers. Doesn’t make them any bigger (well not noticeably) but the tyre was certainly more pliable when warm and was easier to put on.

mark d
    Free Member

Duc is the winner! Thankyou
    Tried again this afternoon and Bingo!
    Stand wheel up and put rim inside tyre.
    Lean over it and gradually put tyre around rim on both sides, ( patience required here as it keeps popping off).
    Use tyre lever to put the rest of the first side on.
    Left with about 12 inches of tyre to put on the other side.
    Was very simple then to use normal tyre levers to seat the rest of it.

Knew somebody here would come up with a resolution.

Cheers

mark d
    Free Member

So now I have a Hope Headset nicely fitted but can’t get the ‘head doctor’ to clamp up tight in the fork steerer tube.
    I have the correct size fork came with the frame and correct headset already installed.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i know of a bike with a stan’s hugo rim which has had a puncture for 2.5 yrs… tyre simply cannot be removed!

globalti
    Free Member

TALC TALC TALC TALC

Best dry lubricant for sticky rubber known to Man. Thousands of divers already know it and use tons of it on their drysuit cuffs.

Duc
    Free Member

how much space have you got between the top spacer and top of the steerer tube? it might be that it hasn’t all settled in – pop a bigger spacer in and give it a bash or do you think the insert is just spinning – if thats the case and its a metal steerer just wack in a star nut

mrhoppy

I had similar problems with my plus tyres, the issue is that the rim is so wide that with the bead in the central groove it still doesn’t go over the lip easily. Much swearing from me and I did get mine on, don’t know they’ll ever come off. Did mean they seated tubeless with a mini pump.

igm

Nextie fatbike rims, an OO Floater and a Surly Bud. Similar will it ever come off experience.

Answer – yes if you take the wheel inside put the tyre on the edge of a stair, stand on it and then use the other foot to push the rim past the edge of the stair. Brutal but effective.

mark d
    Free Member

Thanks Duc, Sam from Singular suggested the Hope Headoctor is designed for alu steerers so I stuck a star fangled in and it’s now all sorted. Just waiting for brake rotors to turn up and the build will be complete.
    Should change the title to ‘Never give in, someone at STW will have the answer’.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘I give in…’ is closed to new replies.