Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • I gave in and bought a Passat i have a question…
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Sensor issue then perhaps….like others I’d be tempted to either ignore it or get the fault code and replace the iffy sensor.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Thanks that’s what I think

Last question I promise, taking it in for an oil change this week then I know it’s done, today I noticed that the temp gauge moves around ( not over heating) normal running would be halfway which it stays at then it will move slightly lower and then up again( I get that on my 30 year old vw camper) so expect it’s the same issue, been looking on a Vw forum and it’s the engine temp sensor which has been mentioned on here as well.

Sound feasible ? Just want to go with as much info to my mechanic.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Very possible the sensor and or sticking thermostat which of course will mess with temp sensor. They’re housed in the same bit of pipe work from memory and not difficult to change. If your mechanic has the relevant fault code reader it will have codes stored for the dodgy sensors.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Mines the same. Advise is do the stat and the plastic housing as it breaks removing old stat. Just waiting for a nice day

slackboy

Great cars,had two 130 TDI sports. took them both to 140,000 before I chickened out.

things to check

pollen filter – if it gets clogged then water can seep into the car and get in the convenience module which controls the central locking and air con among other things. – convenience module is in the passenger footwell directly in the path of water from the pollen filter

front wings – if theres any corrosion on the front wheel archs, get it down to a VW dealer. it should still be covered under the VW ant-perforation and while VW haven’t admitted fault they do make a contribution to the repair costs ( i got 70% on a wing that had already had paintwork done)

VCDS – brilliant diagnostic tool that replicates all of the dealer level diagnostics so you can read fault codes and do general fault finding. http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/

VCDS lite is free and is the one you need. you can get a third party interface on ebay for about a tenner and you are away. I’ve got one I don’t need anymore somewhere so if you want it drop me a PM.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Righto I went to the mechanic today and he plugged it into his super duper snap on machine and it came up with cFault code: P1256 = coolant temp sensor short to positive, AHHH so it was that sensor ! Good work chaps its going in next week for CV boot and sensor.

I do have yet another question !!!

Noticed that the left hand fan permanently runs and the right hand side only comes on when the ECON/AIRCON button pressed which its supposed to do.

Is the left hand fan always on ? (in the BMW it was always on ) If so then i guess it speeds up if it needs to cool engine down.

And if not then maybe that issue is connected to the faulty sensor.

Many thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

And if not then maybe that issue is connected to the faulty sensor.

That.

pollen filter – if it gets clogged then water can seep into the car

Surely you mean the drain hole under the battery?

you can get a third party interface on ebay

And rip off the very good people at RossTech who do a lot of work making the software…

Suggsey
    Free Member

Underneath the battery tray on the bulkhead is a black one way flapped ‘valve’ that drains the scuttle under the battery tray of rain water, this tray rubs the full width of the car, below the plastic screen trim. The drain hole often become bunged up with pine needles and other detritus if you park under trees in the woods a lot and it’s vital that you check that area drains easily….it drains down out of sight. If you have thin hands and arms you can run your hand or a small ruler say along the underside of that scuttle tray, find the drain hole pllug valve thingy in the centre line of the bulkhead and use a pokey stick/finger to loose up any pine needles/crap. If you don’t do the above the under battery tray area back fills with water and it will enter your foot wells and kick plates via you cabin heater inlet. I used to have to do mine every six months without fail!
    As for the fan, yep faulty sensor will cause that issue too.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Have had another look at the fan and with the key turned on engine not running the fan is stationary but turn engine on it starts to spin the fan is conected to the belts, waterpump etc.

I turned the fan when engine was off and it turns freely.

If it’s not supposed to be like that then hopefully the sensor will rectify that problem.

Also had code which is probably been thrown up because of faulty coolent sensor.

Which is why the fan is on all the time !

P1672 – Volkswagen
    Type Powertrain – Manufacturer Controlled DTC – Manufacturer Controlled
    Description
    Engine coolant blower motor, speed 1 – open circuit/short to ground
    Cause
    Wiring open circuit/short to ground
    Try also: http://www.obd-codes.com/p1672

Suggsey
    Free Member

Oo hang on I’m a dumbf….the fan your on about is the viscous linked fan on the engine block….so yes it will freely spin and spin all the time when the engines running….chuff all to do with sensors!

Suggsey
    Free Member

And not faulty the engine fan that is….

Suggsey
    Free Member

To check the electrically driven fan leave the car ticking over until it kicks in ( normally between temp gauge showing three quarters agai n from memory). It should run for a few minutes then switch off when the engine temps back to normal. This fan will of course be influenced by the signal being received from the faulty sensor!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Phew !

So it’s meant to turn when the engine is on !

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yep it’s a viscous coupling 😆

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

What and how does that work ?

molgrips
    Free Member

And why?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Viscous fan should not spin or spin only slowely and should be about to be stopped by hand on a cold engine

As the engine gets hot the fluid in heats up and becomes more viscous meaning the fan kicks in

A viscous fan that spins at full speed with a cold engine is a **** viscous fan.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

And why?

Just interested

A viscous fan that spins at full speed with a cold engine is a **** viscous fan.

Its not at full speed though Im not sure Id want to stick my hand in ! But its prob running slightly fast due to the sensor ? !?!

The other fan comes on if I turn ECON off and run aircon so thats working

Suggsey
    Free Member

The viscous fan wasn’t fubarred on my Passat and there is no way I would purposefully put my hand anywhere near it….those blade edges are very sharp and having once caught it accidentally, it bloody hurts!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I gave in and bought a Passat i have a question…’ is closed to new replies.