Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I gave blood today
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Go on do it, doesn’t hurt and helps some poor bugger that needs it.

Some lucky bugger is going to get some good stuff 😉

Ed2001
    Free Member

Do you ride for sky or one of the other pro teams?

Pigface
    Free Member

It’s not that good 😆

steveoath
    Free Member

I need to get back to it. Given 53 pints already, and done the platelet donations for a while – platelets deffo worth it (i needed some when I was born) but tedious, takes ages. Definately a good thing though.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Good for you. It would make an excellent New Year’s resolution for those that don’t already. Easy way to lose 400-600 Kcal too! MTFU everyone*!!

*unless you do things like travel to exotic places, inject or do bad things with bad people etc 😉

rudebwoy
    Free Member

even though i have malaria they still use my blood

project
    Free Member

Thanks, a few years ago i had 4 full bags of the stuff, off some kind donors,felt really guilty the next day after the operation, a lot of it was all over the bed in hospital.

zero16
    Free Member

Never done it! Scared off needles, pain! Think I have quite rare blood group, please talk me in to it!

Pigface
    Free Member

Zero it doesn’t hurt honest. Go on at least talk to them.

willard

Zero, do it. It could save someone’s life, especially if you are a rare blood group.

You’ll barely feel the needle (the nurses are very experienced) and it is over in less time than you think. It is a good thing to do.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’m up to 7 pints of finest Yorkshire A+ as of last Monday. Deffo worth it. I think that we might have taken a pint or two back for the family in the week before Christmas.

What is the deal with giving platelets ? I can’t give often ( I’m generally in the UK 3 or 4 times a year ), but would be happy to devote an hour or three each time I am back.

fakesounding
    Free Member

I gave blood for the first time yesterday in an effort to mtfu over my fear of needles.

It really isn’t bad and i barely felt the needle go in!!

Plus free tea, coffee and biscuits!!

Zero, go do it, you’ll be right, trust me 🙂

Drac

I can’t.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not putting anyone off, the needle stings bug its not painful, but every time I go I crash, shortly afterwards – dizzy, sick, hot, cold. My body doesn’t seem to agree with losing its fluids.

scaredypants

ck – try plasma donation

I work in a hospital with a blood transfusion place on site

… that doesn’t do walk-ins and runs late on appointments, so you can’t just use a spare half hour to get in and give some

🙄

Mantastic
    Free Member

Sadly I can’t, don’t fit their requirements

tomhoward

I can’t either, due to my needle use.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Zero please do it, it’s so worth it! You could/ would save a life! Explain how you feel to the nurses when you get there ( they are used to it btw), & they will take you thro each step of the way! Make an appointment too so things run as smoothly as possible rather than sitting in a chair waiting for the ‘event’.
    The tiny pain of the needle is minimal, and you will feel so proud of yourself for doing it afterwards!
    Nice one Pigface, proud of you!

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you just turn up at some permanent place?

bazhall
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Can you just turn up at some permanent place?

Yeah you can or you can check online at either blood or scotblood to find out when the next local donation session to you is going to be.

I’ve given 2 pints of O- blood already and going to donating a 3rd pint on Monday in Glenrothes.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

ZERO you’ll be fine !
    Onto my bronze card and will be making it the 12th in the next few weeks (i waited around for 2hrs to give blood last time and i had an appointment!!!!)

Can’t beat the free tea and biscuits afterwards too 😆

Kiril
    Free Member

Over 30 donations of O – blood; universal donor! I do it for when I’ll need it!

bazwadah
    Free Member

I used to give blood but got fed up with the long waiting times (even with an appointment)so switched to platelet donation. I can make an appointment that is convenient and it takes 1.5-2 hours. It doesnt hurt anymore than pricking your finger. If you donate in the morning the nurses bring a sausage and bacon bun with your coffee/tea !. I donate as my wife needed transfusions during the birth of both my daughters. I also dont have any reason not to, its easy karma points 🙂

bigblackshed

Coffeeking.

What you are experiencing is classic shock. Eat a proper meal at least an hour before donation and drink plenty, as in 2ltrs of water on the day prior to donation. Then drink at least that again following donation during the rest of that day. It worked for me.

55 donations so far FWIW.

bigmatt
    Free Member

Zero – as above, book an appointment so there is less waiting around and let them know you are uneasy about it. They’re used to it and it really is pretty painless.

Cranberry – when I started donating platelets about four/five years ago they wanted (ideally) me to commit to about 10 times a year (which I do). You can give platelets every two weeks if necessary so it may depend on how long you are in the country for. May be worth speaking to them. There is other criteria as well (strong veins, preferred blood groups etc)

lb77

I gave my 26th donation today. I’m lucky in that we have a mobile unit visit our business park every 16 weeks, so just nip out of work for an hour. Never more than 10 minutes over on appointment time. Really is an easy and worthwhile thing to do in my eyes.

CheesybeanZ

donated last week, someone got a festive mix of Guinness and sprouts 🙂

crankygirl
    Free Member

I can’t any more, I needed 3 units after giving birth to crankbrat, so my blood is potentially tainted now! Still donated more than I took, so karma still on my side 🙂
    So please donate if you can, wish I still could, and I know what a difference it makes 😀

hora
    Free Member

Do it. Im AB- and also met another same type over biscuits after!

nickhart
    Free Member

thank you, as part of my treatment i had some so cheers for that. i used to but they won’t have mine anymore due to the amount of drugs they’ve put through me.
    it’s amazingly worthwhile and although you rarely, if ever see or meet the people it helps it does change lives.

fathomer

In into the 20’s and going again next week as part of the interval study. I always book an appointment and usually in and out in about an hour.

bamboo
    Free Member

Last time I donated I almost fainted when I got up out of the chair. I’ve never had a problem doing it before, I’m determined to do it again and prove that I can do it without issue, but it did freak me out a little!

sp
    Free Member

+1 for free tea, coffee and biscuits!!

Me O Neg and Im special as it comes out of right arm better than left 😀

supersaiyan
    Free Member

53 units? 55? I’ve got some catching up to do. This thread has redefined “big hitter”!

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I’m still on too many painkillers to give blood apparently!

Have just registered with Anthony Nolan though. Don’t suppose the likelihood of being called upon is very high, but I feel like it’s a step in the right direction!

Greybeard
    Free Member

I think I’m on about 36 – made an appointment yesterday for the week after next. I missed a few recently because my hemoglobin was low (not enough to be a problem, but enough that they didn’t want to cause one). Seems OK now. I’m impressed with the measures they take to ensure that no only do they decline your blood if it might not be good for the recipient but also if they think it might not be good for you to lose it. Every other time I go there’s a small tweak to the procedure, the last few times they have given me half a litre of water or squash to drink before donating, as well as the tea and biscuits after.

lilchris
    Free Member

Every other time I go there’s a small tweak to the procedure

What like legs up, legs down, pint of water, clench and unclench buttocks etc etc.

I’m on 10 or 11. Neddles scare the poo out of me. I go light headed most of the time, and normally get a bollocking off the head nurse as a result!

It was the old man who talked me into it. He’s done almost 80 and is due up to London for a fancy “Thank you” shindig.

He said, “If someone you care about needed blood, you’d be first in the queue. Only it doesn’t work like that”

I took a dose of MTFU and am rather proud of myself in and sad, overinflated sort of way everytime I finish and walk out.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I gave blood today’ is closed to new replies.