Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I found a letter in a bottle this morning – should i read it?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I was down on Brighton Beach this morning at sunrise (part of my ongoing photography project). As I was standing on the shore line a bottle with a letter in it washed up. I picked it up and could see the opening part of the letter which reads as follows:

‘Dear Mummy,

Happy Birthday Mummy.

To me your still a party animal 46 year old self. With your magic Coke (V&C). Even though your 53 your still a yummy mummy to me….’

Now I suspect this is a letter written by a daughter to her dead mother on the mother’s birthday.

The question is, would you take out the letter and read the rest of it?

One part of me feels that the writer wanted it to be found, which is why they wrote it and cast it into the sea. My experiences last week and this (I attended the funeral of the gentleman I helped the week before) have taught me that making human connections is a genuinely wonderful thing.

The other part of me feels there might be a privacy that needs to be respected.

What would you do?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Read on. It’s in the public domain. Besides, you’ll never know who it refers to.

The big question is, do you put it back in the ocean when you’ve finished?

Poopscoop

It’s a credit to you that you feel so concerned about the ramifications of opening it.

I share a similar view to you. It’s meant to be read. You become part of the story.

Depending on content you might even want to add a personal line or 2 about how it made you smile/cry what ever you think really.

Whether that’s appropriate or not is down to the contents of the letter and your own feelings about it.

Either way,I would read it, then carefully reseal it and throw it out on an outgoing tide so the story can continue.

rene59
    Free Member

What would you do?

I’d bin it, it’s litter.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d bin it, it’s litter.

Hero 🙄

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d bin it, it’s litter.

Recycle it, do you have no thought for the environment

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXWrmQW-OE[/video]

Too ez. 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

‘Mr Sting, did you throw the bottle overarm or underarm? When you threw it did you let off a little tommy squeaker?’

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

What would you do?

Inform the Police 😆

rene59
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member

I’d bin it, it’s litter.

Hero [/quote]Is this you? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-40738484 People who dump messages in bottles are up there with the fannies who mass release ballons or chinese lanterns and leave memorial tat all over the place.

slowoldman

Take out the letter, correct the spelling/punctuation and chuck it back out to sea.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Take the letter out, put a photo of you in along with a few “amendments” to the original words then inform the DailyWhail claiming all manner of the originators estate.

HTHs.

teasel
    Free Member

Too ez.

Lazy sod. There must be loads of jokes you could’ve used instead of an obvious vid link.

Can’t think of any but there must be loads…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Well it was intended to be found by someone and read, seems fate has decided that someone is you.

tewit
    Free Member

‘Mr Sting, did you throw the bottle overarm or underarm? When you threw it did you let off a little tommy squeaker?’

😆

CountZero

Is this you? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-40738484 People who dump messages in bottles are up there with the fannies who mass release ballons or chinese lanterns and leave memorial tat all over the place.

Proper human being, aren’t you? So good to see your deep concern for the environment, there must be millions a few dozen bottles with letters in bobbing around in the world’s oceans… 🙄

Poopscoop

Shame that quite a poignant and interesting thread has been sent off on such a negative tangent. For no other reason that it could be.

Don’t get the mentality?

I know this is stw but come on, vent you’re anger on the referendum/Trump threads instead?

teasel
    Free Member

Shame that quite a poignant and interesting thread has been sent off on such a negative tangent. For no other reason that it could be.

Indeed. As soon as Babylon was mentioned it took a real nosedive…

giantalkali
    Free Member

Mawkish drivel, correct spelling mistakes and chuck it back in, might give someone a laugh.

More guff

user-removed
    Free Member

When I was about eight, I threw a letter in a bottle into our local river claiming I’d been kidnapped and giving my home address. Two weeks later, a woman and two kids turned up, closely followed by a cop car.

No more letters in bottles for me (or pudding for a few weeks).

MartynS

You can only make, or break the connection by reading the letter,

My feeling is it was there to be found, share what you find of needs be.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m going to read it tomorrow….

Poopscoop

yeah, it deserves to be.

Not sure we deserve you know what it says frankly. 🙁

WillH

seosamh77 – Member
    Well it was intended to be found by someone and read, seems fate has decided that someone is you.

Not necessarily. When my wife’s dad died she did something along similar lines. Our five-year-old did get a bit upset but it’s hard to know whether he was just picking up on and ‘fitting in’ with the emotions of those around him, or whether he was old enough to fully grasp the concept of death, and get upset.

Anyhow, at one point my wife suggested they make some paper boats together, write messages to dad/grandad and go and float them off to sea on an outgoing tide. I think it was as much for her, finding it quite cathartic to get some feelings written down, as it was a way for our son to cope.

These were paper boats so were probably saturated and under water within an hour, but it could just as easily been bottles with notes in that would eventually washed up somewhere. Either way, there was no intended recipient, it’s all about the writing and sending the note as part of the grieving process.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

About 20 yrs ago sailing across the Pacific to Esmeraldas wrote a note,chucked in 5 USD for whoever found it and thought none of it. 3 years later I got a letter from a young Filipino boy telling me he had found the bottle near his village whilst fishing.

wwaswas

Interesting 15 minute drama on just such a situation I listened to last week,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p70pd

Trimix
    Free Member

I would read it out of curiosity then bin it.

johnx2
    Free Member

I dislike the implication that being 53 is not compatible with being yummy.

Cougar

More like “chewy” I’d have thought.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I found a letter in a bottle this morning – should i read it?’ is closed to new replies.