Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • I found £30 last night
  • wors

At the self serve checkout, guy before me had got £30 cash back, but walked off without taking it. He had gone by the time I noticed. I picked it up and handed it in to customer services, (karma points) what would you have done??

portlyone

Pushed it back into the machine 😉

wwaswas

hand it in. For two reasons;

1) It’s the right thing to do.

2) 2nd they have cctv and would have got your face and card details as the next person using that till 😉

binners

Gone to the pub 😀

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve had the same thing happen to me though I think it was £50, I handed it in to customer services.
    Good job I did as the women who had left the money there came running back in after 30 seconds while I was using the till.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Yup.

I’m never quiet sure if I’m 100% honest becaue I’m just an awesme guy, or because I’m a rank coward and afraid of getting caught.

tails
    Free Member

Probably kept it, as there would be no way of getting it back to said person. Is it theft as you’re just finding something, it’s not like it’s in a wallet with iD.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Good job I did as the women who had left the money there came running back in after 30 seconds while I was using the till.

And they women were so grateful they…

(Just make something up if nothing actually happened)

rocketman
    Free Member

I once stood on a £20 someone had dropped at the bar long enough to finish my pint, order another one then put the £20 I’d clumsily dropped back into my wallet

Have also found random fivers/tenners and pound coins in the street/car parks some people are very careless with their cash

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’m sure the person on customer services enjoyed spending that 30 quid 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

I suppose if you pick up a fiver or tenner from the road side then I guess it’s finder keeper unless you find someone running around searching for it …

wwaswas – Member

Is it theft as you’re just finding something,

theft by finding;

That £1K bundle dropped and that fat cow that picked it up should be fed pork pie permanently for the rest of her life and with extra lard added in the pie. Oh ya … the pie should be filled with pork skin and discarded pork fat. 👿

donsimon
    Free Member

Hookers and/or drugs.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to take it out of the machine and just drop it on the floor.

Im always too lazy to return things.

I once found some nice binoculars I took then intending to hand them into the police, stayed in my bag for a couple of months, then on my desk, then in a box then in the bin.

Never used them, would have been better if I’d just left them, there was more chance of them getting back to the owner that way.

Cougar

I’d have stuck it in my pocket, gone to customer services and said “Here’s my phone number. Someone left some money behind, if they come back for it, ask them to call me and if they can tell me how much there is I’ll get it back to them.”

Cougar

that fat cow that picked it up should be fed pork pie permanently for the rest of her life and with extra lard

Good job she wasn’t brown too, hey.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d have shouted out “WOO! FREE MONEY!!” and run away.
    I’ve done this many times in Tescos.

allthepies
    Free Member

I found 2x£10 notes in my office bike shed the other month 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

Cougar – Member
    I have to reply to trolls on STW. (-:

Jeez, you weren’t lying on that thread then!

reedspeed
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

Cougar – Member
    I have to reply to trolls on STW. (-:

Jeez, you weren’t lying on that thread then!

😉

highclimber
    Free Member

I found £25 once in a queue for a night club. I didn’t hand it into the bouncer! I suspect that money you handed in went straight into the cashiers back pocket!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

When I worked in Shrewsbury I found a £20 note on the pavement on my way into town one afternoon, the following day I drove to Snowdon and half way up the miners track I found another £20 note!!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

tails – Member

Probably kept it, as there would be no way of getting it back to said person. Is it theft as you’re just finding something, it’s not like it’s in a wallet with iD.

not theft, as belief that you could not identify the original owner through reasonable steps negates theft.

Junkyard
    Free Member

surely you need to take the reasonable stpes- they were just served in front of you using a cash card that can be traced tp them and their address

Goin ah **** it i will keep it is someway short of actually trying and failing

i would have done as the OP did

theflatboy
    Free Member

depends on circumstances i suppose. if person’s long gone then it is arguably a reasonable belief that you couldn’t trace him.

druidh
    Free Member

I found a wallet at Ardnamurchan lighthouse a couple of weeks back. Cash, card and drivers license all in there. The “right” thing would have been to hand it on to the nearest police station – which would have been Tobermory. I reasoned that might completely ruin someones holiday so I took it to the visitor centre/cafe instead. Turns out they knew who it belonged to, so it was re-united with its owner pretty quick.

theflatboy
    Free Member

on a slightly related note, my friend was out for a walk as a break from revision a while back. he found someone’s wallet so handed it in. he was then featured in a local paper under a headline saying something like “honest student hands in wallet”, or similar. what he had failed to mention was that between finding it and handing it in somehow the £80 odd that was in it had vanished… 😆

tails
    Free Member

surely you need to take the reasonable stpes- they were just served in front of you using a cash card that can be traced tp them and their address

Goin ah **** it i will keep it is someway short of actually trying and failing

i would have done as the OP did

You say that but can tesco/sainsburys instantly access this information, I would not be so sure. I once forgot to get cash back they asked me to wait until the evening until they cashed up. If it was blindingly obvious person A had left the money I would hand it back, but if I went to a cashpoint and there is no sign of the person I’d keep it. I’ve lost money before just how it goes.

onehundredthidiot

As mentioned above “theft by finding”, it’s not yours why should you knowingly deprive someone else of what is rightfully theirs. Police station or “here’s my contact details” if you don’t trust customer services.

There’s lots of unattended possibly lost bikes outside trail centres can we just help ourselves?

We know what you are, just negotiating price.

theflatboy
    Free Member

onehundredthidiot – Member

There’s lots of unattended possibly lost bikes outside trail centres can we just help ourselves?

no, because obviously you would never convince anyone that you had an honest belief that you couldn’t find the owner with reasonable steps.

onehundredthidiot

Nothing about finding the owner and reasonable steps in theft. Pick it up hand it in, if you don’t trust the customer services then the police. Everything else is theft.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I found a purse once with about £40 in & some credit cards, I took the cards to a relevant bank who gave me £10 for doing that. I gave them my number to pass on to the owner who rang me & said to keep all the change in the purse & send the rest back, I think there was about £10 in change!
    My Mrs found £80 sticking out of an ATM, the only person it could’ve belonged to had just driven out of the car park so we hung about for about 10-15 seconds minutes then went home. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

onehundredthidiot – Member

Nothing about finding the owner and reasonable steps in theft. Pick it up hand it in, if you don’t trust the customer services then the police. Everything else is theft.

not according to the theft act, which defines what is and isn’t theft. and which includes the defence that if you believe the owner can’t be traced using reasonable steps then it’s not theft. which is included for exactly the situation of finding something someone else has lost.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve done it once, there was a tenner in there.
    I know the staff would’ve just pocketed it.
    I’ve probably lost far more.

One of my biggest regrets was as a child, I’d been to the shops for my mam, must have been about 12, a bloke in front of me dropped a roll of notes in front of me. I chased after him and gave it back. There was probably a couple of grand there and given the look of the fella it was probably bent. Still think about it now…

onehundredthidiot

Reasonable steps? In tracing the owner should be through people who are trained to do so or it may be reasonable for someone to go to if they’ve lost something. Not had a look, couldn’t see potential owner so pocketed cash.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think I would have kept it.

I bet the person in Customer Services has done.

‘Has anyone handed £30 in?’

‘Nope, Not Sirree!’

Junkyard
    Free Member

not sure i once lost my wallet in a supermarket – took me about a week to even consider it was there. i went back and it was all there wallet and the £250 – it was Xmas money and it had been put in the safe.

Still that is what happens if you shop in Sainsburys 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

you mean if you shopped in waitrose it would have still contained the full £500? 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If there’s a reasonable chance of the owner realising what’s happened and coming back for it then hand it in every time. If it’s just £20 or whatever lying around in the street then finders keepers.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘I found £30 last night’ is closed to new replies.