• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I fought the DVLA and I won
  • aracer
    Free Member

Complained about the online VED service not being available on 31st of March and having to pay a higher rate when I did manage to pay on 1st April (as the rates had gone up). Have been refunded the difference. It’s nice to beat the system occasionally.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Tax avoidance!! Burn him.

Legoman
    Free Member

I fought them for 2 years to prove my Fiat 500 (registered in 1973 but built in 1972) should qualify for free tax.
    They employ such a bunch of (insert your own derogatory expletive) that you never get the same story twice when you call them.

They even issued me with a free tax disc (historic vehicle classification) then started writing to me saying the vehicle didn’t qualify and could I now pay for it. WHY DID YOU ISSUE IT THEN!!!!

Anyway, I won in the end, but life is too short to be wasting it on these ****

CountZero

The exemption to VED for historic cars is now a rolling system again, it’s just gone up from 1973 to 1974, and will continue, so, you wouldn’t have lost out by much: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/293910/TIIN_2507_8011_40_year_rolling_exemption_for_classic_vehicles_.pdf

Legoman
    Free Member

You’re right Countzero but this was a few years ago so I didn’t know that at the time.
    Thanks again to the DVLA for raising my blood pressure unnecessarily!

CountZero

Ah, right, sorry, I thought it was in the last year or two.
    It should have kept going, instead of being stopped at ’73.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I probably crowed a little too soon, but I now have in my hands a cheque from DVLA for £5 🙂

I wonder how much the admin cost for that…

mike_p
    Free Member

I’m fighting them over VED too… they’re trying to fine me for not having a tax disc on a car that was written off before the VED fell due, this despite the car being tagged on their own system as a Cat C requiring a VIC. I imagine the recruitment process at DVLA is pretty short… “Are you a total pillock? Great! When can you start?”

Drac

Did you fill in the declaration form to say the car wasn’t being used and stored off the road?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed, it can be written off but that doesn’t mean it’s not tax liable, so I presume you’d (or your insurance if they’re half decent?) would register it as either scrapped or SORN’d? Easy to get caught out though after a crash when you’re not thinking straight.

eruptron
    Free Member

DVLA are the most unhelpful set of people to exist.
    We are trying register our car from the Isle Of Man.
    All we get from them is “”YOU NEED A NOVA FORM FROM HMRC” many many calls later to both HMRC and DVLA it’s like hitting your head against a brick wall.
    The fact is that a vehicle from the IOM does not need a NOVA as the VAT system is part of the UK and therefore no VAT is outstanding. According to HMRC who quote paragraph and verse to the fact. The DVLA won’t accept this from another Government department and it is left to us to prove to the DVLA that this is the case!! REALLY!!
    They are unhelpful,rude and don’t know what the rest of the government is doing and therefore what they’re doing..

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, you think you’ve won. But they remember. And wait.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I now have in my hands a cheque from DVLA for £5

the perfect thing for less than a fiver

8)

aracer
    Free Member

You went to all the trouble of finding that just for me? I’m touched.

🙂

totalshell

think you ve got the NOVA 1 story wrapped up eruption.. i have to prove that my 1953 AJS motorcycle has never been exported before they will register it.

i have photos of the bike from the 70;s in sunny solihul and as it was removed from a shed for the first time in 40 years, but as its been in a shed since the late 70’s and the DVLA burnt all thier pre 83 records i hvae to prove to them it hasnt been exported to Nigeria and being living it up in the interim period.

hora
    Free Member

DVLA can be good- I sent them notification of SORN. Sent me a fine, I rang them and they cancelled it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I fought the DVLA and I won’ is closed to new replies.