Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • 'I fell pregnant' or turns of phrase that I have known and loathed.
  • yunki
    Free Member

I like people using language… if we all spoke like the bbc broadcasters of yesteryear it would be a jolly poor show..

I’m orf out t’garden to be ghetto fabulous.. coz like..

I was chattin wiv va missus earlier and I wiz like.. mate I am sooo startin smokin again..
    and she went.. naaaa.. literally..?
    an I wiz like.. yeah you effin knows it blud..
    I’m garspin..

she wiz like.. naa don’ even bovva and stuff..
    an so I went.. yeah.. well iffin ‘ese pillocks on STW get any more effin anally reten’ive I’ma havta blaze up a fattie to even gie moi effin brain arf a chance at comprehendin the nature of they ridiculous shizzle..
    oh my days.. she goes.. fair do’s
    seen I go’s
    seen she giggled back..
    then we high fived..
    such is life in the yunki household..

resisted
    Free Member

‘my ghetto’ you’re from a middle class, suburban breeding ground
    This is called irony or sarcasm.

Not in the context I was referring to. ie the youth of today. Actually, that’s another phrase I’m not overly keen on

Mintyjim

I can’t say I’m a fan of…’years of age’, as in, “since Bob was 12 years of age”
    That makes me wince each time I hear it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Use of specific words or phrases already in fairly widespread use hasn’t been funny in itself since bum & boobies before I left junior schoo

Unless taken out of context… Isn’t that one of the mainstays of humour?

If you’re repeating a neologism for comic effect, aren’t you implying that you and your audience are superior to those that might use it in good faith?

Quite possibly. It depends what it is.

I can’t say I’m a fan of…’years of age’, as in, “since Bob was 12 years of age”
    That makes me wince each time I hear it

Not that different to saying ’12 years old’ is it, logically speaking?

Mintyjim

molgrips – I didn’t think logic was in question here, it was about dislike of certain phrases

molgrips
    Free Member

Logic is everything.

Live long and prosper.

DrJ

“we are pregnant”

****, that’s annoying!!

At the moment its Masterchef speak from normal folk

Urgh – “I want to take my cooking to the next level” WHat the hell does that mean?

Cougar

Unless you’re Queen Victoria, presumably.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

DrJ – Member
    Urgh – “I want to take my cooking to the next level” WHat the hell does that mean?

A cook expressing his/her earnest desire to move out of a basement flat.

yunki
    Free Member

At the moment its Masterchef speak from normal folk

quick thread hi-jack but Mrs yunki goes gooey at the merest hint of Greg Wallace..

Last night I feared that I may lose her forever.. after the amiable rotund geezer literally oinked with delight when he heard the menu that was being prepared..

anyone else suffering a similar fate should take note..
    Just remind her that at the same time as Greg is oinking.. she shouldn’t forget that his little Mauricio from ‘Shallow Hal’ tail is probably going ten to the dozen too..

infatuation completely cured..

molgrips
    Free Member

WHat the hell does that mean?

It means I want to get a lot better. Did you really not understand? Or are you just being needlessly annoying to make yourself feel important? Are you struggling against a tide of change and uncertainty and you can only cling to the driftwood of your own sense of rectitude? 😉

Woody
    Free Member

by and large some of you need to be tret with a chill pill like innit ………………………………grrrrrrrrrrrrr

oldgit
    Free Member

‘Who knew’ that’s a fist clenching one for me.

Also the word ‘brifters’. Ergos or STI’s not brifters, when something has a name why call it something else?

nickf
    Free Member

Heard some wonderful ones on the train home last night. A bunch of braying City boys who’d clearly been on some sort of a Business Bullshit Seminar were nauseating at each other to a quite staggering degree.

“I’ve been literally working 24/365”

“we need to upthink the sales strategy”

“shall I reflect back my key learnings?”

I couldn’t help sniggering at their self-important cobblers, but I can forgive them all of that for one priceless gag. One of them mentioned that they were moving some processing work to Dresden. I’m sure it was a well-worn joke in their office, but I’d never heard the term ‘Krautsourcing’ before…..

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘'I fell pregnant' or turns of phrase that I have known and loathed.’ is closed to new replies.