Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 247 total)
  • I feel nothing towards my baby
  • binners

Having your first baby is like somebody putting your entire life into a blender, then cackling like a maniac as they hit full power. While simultaneously kicking you repeatedly in the plums with a pair of steel toe-capped boots.

You can go to all the nice middle class anti-natal classes in the world. It’ll make eff all difference to preparing you for coping with the reality of it. It just turns your life totally upside down. And that takes some serious adjustment

Anyone who says it was all absolutely marvellous right from the off is either insane, or is looking back through very, very, very rose-tinted glasses.

The best advice I could give you is try to smile at all the right prompts, and not to get in the way too much. It will get better, and when it does (as us soppy sods will never cease droning on and on about,), its bloody brill! Me and my daughters have been seeing who could burp the loudest on the school run this morning 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I never really got that newborn baby smell thing. I wonder if not everyone can smell it?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Brave post indeed. Not much to add to what’s already been said. Give it time and be honest to your missus about it. Was quite surprised to have some ambivalence towards my daughter when she was born having not experienced it previously with our boy. Took a fair few weeks to pass. I think it’s fairly common.

dbcooper
    Free Member

management of expectaions. You thought it was going to be amazing? Let it settle in.
    From a Mum’s perspective, my poor OH didn’t get a look in for months and he was very pissed off about it. Now the girls adore him and I am just a doormat..

joolsburger
    Free Member

Wait until you get a teenager that’s when you really start wondering if you can get a refund. Mine is a good lad but still utterly insufferable.

scruff
    Free Member

A good friend of mine said watching your first child being born is like watching your favorite pub burn down.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I reckon it felt more like when the Blue Peter garden got vandalised.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Can you talk to your old man? Since he was in your shoes with you once.

martinhutch

Having your first baby is like somebody putting your entire life into a blender, then cackling like a maniac as they hit full power. While simultaneously kicking you repeatedly in the plums with a pair of steel toe-capped boots.

Try it with twins. We walked in the door, put them down, thought ‘WTF do we do now?’ and then all hell broke loose. For about two years.

globalti
    Free Member

This is a tragic post; I feel very sorry for you. Your life has been turned upside-down by the addition of this little person and you desperately need your brain rewired to develop the loving protective instinct that most parents acquire without even trying.

I guess I was lucky that Mrs Gti needed some attention in theatre after our son was born so I was alone with him for an hour in a quiet room, where I was able to hold him and get my head around my new status in life. It was certainly the most emotional time of my life. However I do know that my Dad never managed this with my younger brother and my poor brother went through his young life without any emotional contact (or even less than I had) with a very distant and cold father.

My suggestion is that you take the time to sit quietly with your child, hold her, smell her, see how vulnerable she is and how much she depends on your strength and wisdom and it will certainly come. With regard to sleep, the first three weeks are tough, the next three months are easier and from then on things should improve a lot. The most important thing you can do for a small child is give them ROUTINE. I can’t stress this enough; they need the same ritual every evening before bed, the same warmth and love and then bed at the same time, shut the door and walk away. They will demand attention at first but as long as they feel secure and you don’t reward wakefulness by giving time and attention they will soon develop the sleep habit.

Stevet1
    Free Member

You did the right thing leaving the baby with your wife when you couldn’t settle her. Babies can be very stressful, they’re tired but everytime you put them down in their warm bed after rocking them to sleep for 20 minutes they immediately wake up and start crying again because they’re tired! But you were just asleep!

Its very important to know when you’ve reached the point of ultimate frustration, and even if it means putting a crying baby down in a safe place (cot, playpen etc.) and walking away for a few minutes to calm down it is better than ending up losing your temper.

johndoh
    Free Member

They will demand attention at first but as long as they feel secure and you don’t reward wakefulness by giving time and attention they will soon develop the sleep habit.

One step at a time, eh?

Northwind

Not me but a very good friend, after years of trying for a kid and watching friends have theirs and being told how it’d change everything, she spent the first 6 months in her words “regretting everything”, not feeling any connection with the baby, and resenting all the changes to her life. But mostly she says she felt bad because people were so relentless about telling her how amazing motherhood was and how she should feel- so she wasn’t just distraught about how she felt about motherhood, she felt like everyone was out to criticise her too. So I was the first person she told, after months, just because she knows I’m basically a misanthrope and crap at babies anyway- she was afraid to even breathe a word of it to anyone else. It changed over time in a lot of ways, and she loves the wee man now, though I’ll be honest and say she still wishes they’d waited- it’s worked out though.

Anyway… Not sure what the point is. It’s bad enough feeling bad, don’t feel bad about feeling bad, I suppose.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

1. Did any of you feel like this and did things improve? or,
    2. Am I the worlds biggest bastard?

No but I can understand that they are not that interesting for the first 3 months.

Not for admitting you feel like this, but I think it was lousy to run off to work at 3am leaving your wife to it. You don’t need to even do stuff with the baby but help your wife out around the house, give her a wee rest etc It takes them a long time to recover and like it or not the baby is a shared responsibility.

MoreCashThanDash

Forgot to say:

Some friends came to see us/him not long after MCJnr was born. They already had 3 of their own.

I remember Pete looking me in the eye after the initial greetings and “can I hold him?”s and he said “How is dad getting on? Cos no bugger ever cares about us”. And he was right.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is a tragic post; I feel very sorry for you. Your life has been turned upside-down by the addition of this little person and you desperately need your brain rewired to develop the loving protective instinct that most parents acquire without even trying.

That’s pretty damaging. The guy’s wondering if there’s something wrong with him and you’re putting the boot in by telling him there really is. How’s that going to make him feel at a vulnerable point?

But mostly she says she felt bad because people were so relentless about telling her how amazing motherhood was and how she should feel

Exactly.

I think it was lousy to run off to work at 3am leaving your wife to it.

We both did some desperate shit in the first three months. Don’t worry about it, as long as you keep trying.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

They don’t do much at that age and it can be really frustrating knowing what to do. Feed, cry, change, sleep, repeat.

I took 3 months off (only went to work last week) after our second was born. Assuming your wife is breastfeeding, can she express and you feed her? Ours does not like the bottle, the midwife gave us a feeding tube and this allowed me to feed her by holding the tube on my finger and her going for it like it was a nipple.

It is hard, and sometimes when they cry you feel useless as you can’t seem to help. You will bond but as others have said it’s a total upheaval and change in the home dynamic.

Perhaps if you did things for the wife – fluff the cushions, run the hoover round, stick a load of washing on, just little things that mean she’s not worrying about silly house chores that take five mins.

I feel for ya, but you’ll get through it.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

1. Did any of you feel like this and did things improve? or,
    2. Am I the worlds biggest bastard?

1. A little. My wife coped really well with the first one, and I wasn’t really sure what to do. Never fails to surprise me that after a day or so in hospital, they give you this bundle of flesh and blood, and expect you to know exactly what do with it. For our second, my wife had to go to theatre with a fairly major bleed, so was left holding him and worrying whether my wife would come back. Bonded pretty well then. They’re now teenagers and can be summed up as challenging (in the usual teenage way) but fantastic.

2. Not at all

martinhutch

If you look at research into incidence of depression among new fathers – and that’s full blown seeing your doctor-type depression – you’ll see that plenty suffer from it.

eg: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20819960

So your feelings of detachment are most definitely not unusual, and may be pretty common, judging by many of the comments on this thread.

There is a preconception that birth is this wonderful moment for dads and mums, and that bonding is instantaneous and powerful. It clearly isn’t, so go easy on yourself, and give it time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps if you did things for the wife – fluff the cushions, run the hoover round, stick a load of washing on, just little things

Or maybe some BIG stuff like all the cleaning and cooking.. FFS! I doubt she gives a shit about fluffly cushions tbh.

kimbers

Deffinitely didnt feel nothing toward our newborns but

it is an incredibly stressful time lack of sleep, worrying about wife family, work, and a huge change in lifestyle, Stress can be a powerful and subtle thing!

but things settle down, you get into a routine and most importantly they (kids) just keep getting better
    my wife loved them as newborns but for me it gets really special when they can interact with you, their first steps, words, bike ride and persoanlly I love the questions…
    whats under the ground
    where does my voice come from
    whats inside me
    tell me about the sun
    mummy wheres your willy gone??!

all that sort of stuff

jamj1974

This is more common than you may imagine OP – because people don’t talk about it as honestly as you have. As said earlier go and have a chat with your GP as post-natal depression can affect men too. If he doesn’t listen ask to speak to someone else at the practice or another one.

Babies are a huge shock to the system and your way of life and the expectation that is pushed on us by society to love our children instantly can put you under additional pressure. This can then become a bit of a cycle…

I think you might need to try and give yourself a bit of a break. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Your feelings are then likely to develop naturally with time and space.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that you make sure your current feelings don’t interfere with the quality of care you are providing. You don’t need to be emotionally involved to look after a baby.

My boys were born early and spent quite a few weeks in hospital. It took me some time to bond fully with them because I hadn’t had much time or opportunity to care for them. So, no you are not alone.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Try it with twins

I wonder if it is easier having twins because you just don’t have time to stop and reflect. Mine are 15 months now and I sometimes feel like I have no memory of my life before.

jamj1974

mummy wheres your willy gone??!

One of my daughters favourites! She also was concerned because she couldn’t find her own…

tinybits
    Free Member

like keeping a really bad car running….

Oh how true is this?!

We both did some desperate shit in the first three months. Don’t worry about it, as long as you keep trying.

Yep!

You’re not alone at all mate. Call your wife now, try to explain (you won’t, but it’ll be appreciated). My son bloody hated me for the first 6+ months, and I had pretty bad feelings the other way. We’re getting on well now, as they get older, there’s so much more you’ll want to be involved in.

The first 6 months are shite for any parent in reality. Bugger all sleep, frayed nerves, and a total life change that really happened in 24hrs…

DezB
    Free Member

It’s not unusual for either parent to be unable to relate to their baby shortly after birth. And it doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to love your daughter.

Too true, I was a rotten dad in the early days of my kid’s life.
    Later, I even gave up mountain biking on weekends for him.. (can you imagine such love?! 😀 )

martinhutch

I wonder if it is easier having twins because you just don’t have time to stop and reflect. Mine are 15 months now and I sometimes feel like I have no memory of my life before.

Don’t tell anyone that. Other people with young babies look at you like you’re superhuman and I’d like to hold on to that illusion. 🙂

jamj1974

Not in my experience. We had a daughter of 2 and twin new borns. Was bloody hard work both times!

teacake
    Free Member

I can sympathise with the OP.

I was overwhelmed by the arrival of my wee boy but it certainly wasn’t all beer and skittles. I felt a bit of “this is the best thing in the world, why is my heart not bursting from my chest every time I look at him?” The older he gets, the more we connect, the more I love him.

IMO the bond between parent and child forms over time. Yes you are feeling it very tough and you’re distant right now but unless you give that bond a chance things will never change.

It’s the most emotional thing you, your partner and the relationship between you two will have experienced – no wonder things get heated!

My experience in parenthood is that you need to grow up for it to work. Child comes first. If you and your partner work together, communicate, tackle issues, you’ll make progress.

Your post is a good step to fixing the situation. Communicate.

Hollywood has a lot to answer for!

jamj1974

Anyway… Not sure what the point is. It’s bad enough feeling bad, don’t feel bad about feeling bad, I suppose.

This.

I remember Pete looking me in the eye after the initial greetings and “can I hold him?”s and he said “How is dad getting on? Cos no bugger ever cares about us”. And he was right.

And unfortunately this…

BigJohn

I think what the OP is feeling is perfectly normal. You can’t have a genuine feeling for somebody you don’t know yet. Especially somebody who is stealing all the attention from the woman you love.

It will come; don’t worry.

As a father of 3 and a grandad of 1, you soon develop an unconditional love for them. It doesn’t mean you have to like them though 8)

cookeaa

If anything being honest about how you are feeling is better than bottling it up and eventually exploding.

I’m a big soft git who loved my kids from the second they were born, but I don’t think your a bastard OP, you are simply wired differently from me…

I know Dad’s who’ve just not taken to their kids during the baby phase and TBH once you get past the Cuteness thing (if such things bother you at all) they are pretty dull and rather high maintenance, They’re not all that interesting until they start doing stuff and communicating properly…

These days any Women who report feeling as you do OP are listened to, helped and not treated like pariahs, it is of course expected that men, lacking the unstable hormone profile, and silly social expectations that women have drummed into them, will unconditionally Swoon over their kids, I’d like to see the same sort of support extended to Dad’s who find they don’t simply take to fartherhood…

Don’t sweat it, talk to someone (professional, not us lot on the Internetz, We’re not actually qualified)… but your certainly not a bastard…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

You need to accept that your old life is over. A new era has begun and it brings more reward than any amount of disposable income or any possessions. Don’t fight it and help your wife out as much as possible. Your time will come. I have twins who were born 2 months early that was a right trip but you come through it. Good luck.

Gunz
    Free Member

Babies are frankly dull and neither of us felt an instant bond. They’re 6 and 8 now and the most fun ever.

A word of warning though, watch out for post natal-depression in your other half. It crept up on both of us and lead to a tough old time. The best description that helped to explain it to me was that a woman is full of hormones after birth that she is new to and sometimes too vulnerable to deal with. Make sure you give her some time completely away from the nipper and take the fact you’re just as tired on the chin -ther’s a reason we blokes are supposed to be the head of the household.
    Good luck.

molgrips
    Free Member

IMO the bond between parent and child forms over time.

Yes, and it keeps evolving as they reinvent themselves over and over again.

First you get a screaming newborn, then you get the cute sitting up playing baby, then the amiable toddler, then the angry one, then the early talking one then it’s a little kid talking, then it turns into the ‘Why?’ one.. then a bit later you realise you’re having real conversations and they are telling you their bonkers stories.

They change hugely. There’s only minimal connection between who my daughter was at 2 and who she is now at 5.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

1) Yes — to some extent all new dads feel this
    2) dunno only you can tell

The mum spends 9 months coming to terms with it whilst a father only has the stark realisation its actually happening when the baby pops out and theres not refund and return policy. Hey you knew it was coming but no one gave us the handbook.
    Dont be fooled into thinking one size fits all, every kid is different and each parent has to deal with their own kids 24/7 ( see above posts re relentless) . After all, who else is there at feeding times and 3am when they wont sleep! ( I dont see any of those armchair know it all parents giving a hand!).

We all find our own way with our kids and they will build a relationship with you with the time you spend with them whether its alot or a little.
    What I will say is dont cave into the other peoples way to bring up your child, eg do it like this and do it like that. Or take the short cut and say its easier if someone else to do it. You learn via your own experience and hence will be rewarded for it accordingly even if it involves a few wrong turns along the way. Dont let other people judge you or make you feel inferior because of it!

Dont worry too much as I reckon most dads feel like a spare part in the early weeks. Bear in mind its also a learning adventure for the mum to so why not agree to do it together. Ask questions , enjoy the tough times cos they pass all too quickly even though it doesn’t seem like it at the time. Good luck and enjoy!

gonzy
    Free Member

dont be hard on yourself OP.
    thing wills get better.
    mrs gonzy got pregnant 3 months after we got married. at the same time my mum died and i was going through a rough patch. when gonzy mk1 finally arrived i actually cried whilst holding him…but for some reason in the following months i was a bit distant with him as i was trying to make mental readjustments to everything. mrs gonzy spotted this straight away and would always question whether i felt anything toward gonzy mk1. after about 4 months it finally clicked with me and the little git became the centre of my universe…i felt bad about how i was distant with him for the first 4 months and we decided we would not try for another for as long as we could simply so that i could enjoy him and spoil him rotten.
    5 years later gonzy mk2 arrived and my bond with her was instant….i love her to bits but then she is daddys little princess!!
    gonzy mk3 turned up 5 months ago and again for about a month i was a bit distant with him but this was simply because we were both trying to cope with having 3.
    having said all that i love them all to bits and wouldnt change anything for the world.
    thing will change and the way you feel about your daughter will improve as time goes by…just speak to your wife about how you feel

i got home last night form work absolutely pissed wet through…mk1 ran downstairs to greet me…mk2 ran from the kitchen to give me a hug and kiss and mk3 was sat on the sofa…as soon as he saw me his face lit up, he started kicking his hands and feet and he started babbling and making noises like as if he was trying to say something to me….moments like this are yet to come for you OP and when they do, you will realise that it was worth it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Perhaps if you did things for the wife – fluff the cushions, run the hoover round, stick a load of washing on, just little things
    Or maybe some BIG stuff like all the cleaning and cooking.. FFS! I doubt she gives a shit about fluffly cushions tbh.

Then you probably haven’t squeezed out a 4.5kg baby that was posterior and had a constantly hungry child that needed more breastmilk than you knew how to cope with, got mastitis and also a bad back from giving birth to said 4.5kg baby. She needed cushions fluffing.

I took 3 months off, and we have a 3 y/o. I’m not going to list the whole task list. Don’t be so fucken pedantic.

molgrips
    Free Member

She needed cushions fluffing.

Of course, but you made it sound like a token gesture, and that she could still crack on with all the other woman’s work as normal… Quite an important issue, not pedantry at all.

ransos
    Free Member

What the OP describes is pretty common. I threw myself into the parenting lark 100% – I found that doing the baths and lots of cuddles really helped me to bond with her. You’re then better able to cope with the endless crying, pooing, screaming and non-sleeping that goes with every new-born. It does get easier, I promise.

Like many others have said, when your baby is a few months old, starts waving and smiling back at you, you’ll absolutely love it. Our second is 11 months now, and crawls over to me as soon as I get in from work, screaming “da da”. It’s pretty cool.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 247 total)

The topic ‘I feel nothing towards my baby’ is closed to new replies.