Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • I feel dirty
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – Member

Is the blue fully surfaced Scott? Might have to take a drive over. 70% surfaced, 90% by next winter.

mahalo

i would have no problem in using a TC if i could ride to it from my front door… but if im gonna drive for an hour somewhere i probably wouldnt choose one. saying that, met a mate a degla before crimbo and had a reet good blast!!

stevedoc
    Free Member

It was Degla where I went and again it was only an hours drive ,it was a hoot even in the snow but for me as above if im driving for over an hour its the Lakes all day lon.

You cannee beat a good up and shoulder

mountainman

If you bored of Uk trail centre’s ,then hop over the irish sea,few good ones over here and more being developed with funding from colite,(FC) equiv .
    Then we have Wicklow,Dublin mountains, then Galtees,Comerargh to name but a few.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t really understand the trail centre model personally. Y Wall, Cafel are great but you could be riding the Gap or Elan Valley only a bit further on.

Well, only if you have time to do those longer rides. But the Gap, whilst fun, is nothing like the same experience as Cafall. It’s like comparing the M6 over Shap with Silverstone.

montgomery
    Free Member

I hadn’t ridden a trail centre in over a decade until last year, but I’ve been making up for it – knocking off all the Welsh centres, joining them up by bikepacking the intervening ‘natural’ trails. I rode some of the reds (Cwmcarn, BPW, CyB, Llandegla) with the luggage on the bike, as a through route. I’ll be doing the final linking section next week, from Cwm Rhaeadr to Machynlleth. I started off with various preconceptions, some right, some wrong. It’s been an interesting exercise, and both points of view above could be seen as having merit.

molgrips
    Free Member

I rode Cwmcarn on a fully rigid bike, and it was not much fun at all. A blast on the FS though.

larkim
    Free Member

Main plus for me of trail centres is that you know what you’re getting – access to a MTB sized area with little risk of idiots putting razor wire across trails, little risk of running into groups of walkers or dogs, no stiles or fences, decent navigation without having to plot out a route before hand, and enough others around you to add perhaps a little safety factor so you know you’re unlikely to end up on a mountain overnight with a broken leg as no-one knows you’re there.

There’s definitely a place for them!

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Personally, I think to many people say there’s a place for them but in fact don’t ride any thing else.

My bugbear with centres is that (for me) I just find I’m riding with what the least fit, least skilled person in the group can cope with.

So in the end, I ride a TC, or ride alone. Weening people off of them seems impossible, but they mirror the homogenisation of every thing. Capitalism has been successful because of this

mindmap3
    Free Member

Don’t forget Cannock isn’t just the Dog and Monkey – there is some great stuff out there.
    It’s generally flat, in comparison to Peaks etc, but there are some great, testing and steep runs out there in the forest – if you know where to find them

Exactly – although January hasn’t been kind to the unofficial stuff. It was horrid Sunday morning.

I don’t ride the Donkey much these days, but had fun on it yesterday taking Stile Cop in as well.

I don’t really get the hate for trail centres – if you do hate them don’t go. Simples.

My bugbear with centres is that (for me) I just find I’m riding with what the least fit, least skilled person in the group can cope with.

Time to find some equally rad mates then.

cookeaa

thebatesbristol – Member
    Personally, I think to many people say there’s a place for them but in fact don’t ride any thing else.

So in the end, I ride a TC, or ride alone. Weening people off of them seems impossible, but they mirror the homogenisation of every thing. Capitalism has been successful because of this

It seems like your complaint is more about peoples lifestyles choices and various social issues than the apparent horrors of trail centres…

My take is that TCs are there to provide convenience, and to serve as an introduction to a MTBing… Nobody is claiming they are the Epitome of the sport…

Some people try MTBing at a TC, they catch the bug and within a couple of years they’ll be planning epic adventures and riding all sorts of places on “Natural” terrain and man made trails.

Others will be content with that maintained, relatively safe TC 30 min’s from home a couple of times a week and never feel the need to branch out, the social side to it has as much, if not more importance for them, riding with friends, enjoying their company without it needing to be a competitive physical Challenge every time… are they really such terrible people for that?

It’s just cycling as a leisure activity not some grand political statement, there’s room in the world for various different takes on MTBing…

motozulu
    Free Member

thebatesbristol – what a strange person you seem to be….

molgrips
    Free Member

Weening people off of them seems impossible, but they mirror the homogenisation of every thing

What? You know the natural trails are all still there, don’t you?

You sound like a right git and quite possibly not suited at all to group rides!

lesgrandepotato

I only play real tennis. None of this Wimbledon stuff.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

obviously TC’s are not real mountain biking and those that ride them can not call themselves real mountain bikers. Only wild countryside and wild terrain is real mountain biking and those that ride these are real mountain bikers. Gotta go my caramel latte is ready. Yum

motozulu
    Free Member

genesiscore502011 – Member
    obviously TC’s are not real mountain biking and those that ride them can not call themselves real mountain bikers. Only wild countryside and wild terrain is real mountain biking and those that ride these are real mountain bikers. Gotta go my caramel latte is ready. Yum

😀

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘I feel dirty’ is closed to new replies.