Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • I fear for the human race
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

“abuser of children” is an ambigous phrase and most folk would consider it to mean something sexual rather than he hit them IMHO.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Anyway is she not entitled to an opinion in your brave new world?

Opinion yes, Offensive no. Simple really

Next !

TuckerUK
    Free Member

“abuser of children” is an ambigous phrase and most folk would consider it to mean something sexual rather than he hit them IMHO.

‘Most folk’ think the Millennium changed between 1999 and 2000.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Opinion yes, Offensive no. Simple really

Next !

Yup, simple.

But before we move on, can you just quickly clarify the ‘offensive’ bit? I mean just briefly, who decides and how?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Which is why if you a referring to 2000/2001 specifically, you would do well to clarify, just to avoid confusion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So if you use deliberatly ambigous language any resulting confusion is due to the reader?
    I decide what is offensive CM and I set the bar quite low

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I never mentioned any ‘sexual’ element, maybe a Freudian slip by you?

I din’t say you did. Just trying to understand the nature of the ‘abuse’. Eliminated sexual abuse as a possibility, based on lack of information. The relatively low sentence would almost certainly rule out any sexual abuse, and indeed more serious physical abuse. So, I’m assuming that it was a relatively ‘minor’ form of assault, and not one which resulted in any long term or permanent physical harm.

“Assault’ could be all sorts of things. ‘Abuse’ might imply some form of pre-meditated action designed to control someone through physical or mental harm or coercion.

You have to agree, the phrase ‘abuses young girls’ is a tad more emotive in our sentationalist media obsessed society than ‘assault on a child’.

You’ve misquoted, ‘abuses’ is plural because it refers to ‘anyone’. I didn’t imply he was guilt of more than one abuse, but you chose to infer it.

I don’t think I have ‘misquoted’ you. I do think you’re being a little defensive however.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Which is why if you a referring to 2000/2001 specifically, you would do well to clarify, just to avoid confusion.

If I had to clarify every remark I made to cater for the uneducated I’d never actually get any work done! I feel like creating some really good (amusing) examples but I’ll let you use your imagination instead.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If I had to clarify every remark I made to cater for the uneducated I’d never actually get any work done!

True, but if you just kept it to the ambiguous ones, you’d probably find it manageable.

GrahamS

Oooh that’s right – throw in the old ordinal vs cardinal numbering system debate – why does that ALWAYS come up in arguments about free speech? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If I had to clarify every remark I made to cater for the uneducated

Oh I see, throw in a remark about the intellectual ability of those who might not quite understand your ambiguity, right, ok, cos that’s gonna win you points, isn’t it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Unpleasant, yes. But I wouldn’t say offending someone was justification for criminal proceedings.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh I see, throw in a remark about the intellectual ability of those who might not quite understand your ambiguity, right, ok, cos that’s gonna win you points, isn’t it?

Of course it is, only an idiot wouldn’t see that!

Unpleasant, yes. But I wouldn’t say offending someone was justification for criminal proceedings.

I’d like to see STW if it were!!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Very cold hearted comment to the Police officer who lost his vision.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Of course it is, only an idiot wouldn’t see that!

I am actually an idiot, and that’s offensive and an attack on my Human Rights. 😥

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I am actually an idiot, and that’s offensive and an attack on my Human Rights

Not at all, you have always been allowed to exercise the right to be an idiot, on this forum.

GrahamS

I am actually an idiot, and that’s offensive and an attack on my Human Rights.

Are you saying he’s not entitled to an opinion? 😈

ourmaninthenorth

Tell me, were he not a policeman blinded at the hands of a celebrated killer, would she even have been deemed to have committed a crime?

Can’t see, even in a just society, this warranted her being criminalised TBH.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I agree with the judgement, they’ve got her bang to rights!

edit: uh oh, Now I’ve said bang!!

ilovemygears
    Free Member

simply if i heard her say it id smash her head in!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Very, but surely not grounds for legal action? That’s just daft.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

True, but justice is blind

ilovemygears
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

in some countries she would be going to prison for a very long time.

GrahamS

Tell me, were he not a policeman blinded at the hands of a celebrated killer, would she even have been deemed to have committed a crime?

Well IANAL, but from my in-depth watching of such exemplary documentaries as “Cops With Cameras” and “Road Wars” I can tell you that public order offences seem to be rolled out fairly regularly – especially when folk are giving grief to police officers (being aggressive, threatening, spitting at them, swearing etc).

ilovemygears
    Free Member

joao3v16 – Member
    We humans are all in a race?

top prize is a 2 week holiday in France 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

in some countries she would be going to prison for a very long time.

True, and in some countries men are allowed to rape women and no-one bats an eyelid. Fortunately we are meant to live in a sensible country and this, I fear, is not sensible.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

top prize is a 2 week holiday in France

2nd prize is 4 weeks

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

PeterPoddy won 2 weeks mtbing in Tenerife, the lucky bastid. 😡

Are you saying he’s not entitled to an opinion?

It depends. Am I entitled to an onion?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had a good chat with the copper who attended my road accident last week while we waited for recovery to turn up and clear the road.

He said it was nice to be dealing with a “proper victim” for a change as most of his work was intervening in conflicts between equally nasty people.

sweepy
    Free Member

Define ‘scum’

Scum is something thats just floated to the top, then just sits there, no use to anybody.

Olly
    Free Member

simply if i heard her say it id smash her head in!

+1.

stuff society and “lowering good people to their level” and all other heated but informed Stw discussions.

hanging’s too good for her, get me my “cleansing” stick

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Scum is something thats just floated to the top, then just sits there, no use to anybody.

What, like the aristocracy, David Cameron and the Royal Family?

Blimey…

Junkyard
    Free Member

so she did this and you will kill her for this in a way worse than hanging. Now we are all meant to think she has no morals or ethics and you have excellent morals and ethics.
    So two wrongs dont make a right unless the second wrong is hugely disproportionate to the first.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

We all need to remain balanced. Saying that, she’s obviously carrying a few spuds and that hat and the goldie lookin chain isn’t helping.

I bet she’s dead clever and her or her offspring will be curing cancer or global climate change warming in a trice and we’ll all look back and laugh. Except the copper. Who cant.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

She was arrested after making the comment and a gun gesture with two fingers behind the officer’s back on 2 March.

So actually the person that told him what she was up to caused the distress…

I find taking people like to this to court to be an extreme waste of the taxpayers money, it would be far more fun to set the authorities on them for all of their other misdemeanour’s.

grum
    Free Member

Absolutely, anyone that abuses young girls has to be eh? And they imprisoned him for it? Should have given him a medal eh?

Ironyometer fail.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So, scum and cream are the same?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

“Define ‘scum’.”

Difficult to ‘define’ but come to where I work & I’ll point a few out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

surely not all screws are scum ?

hh45
    Free Member

i’m doing jury service soon – will be interesting toactually have to decide for real. not sure if i will be a hang em and flog em or a soft liberal touch.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘I fear for the human race’ is closed to new replies.