Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I fancy trying a shorter stem
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Currently running a Thomson x4 70mm with havoc 750mm bars. Works just fine, but I currently have a mind to try a 50 or 55. Looking at a haven 55 in black. About £55 from Merlin. Before I pull the trigger, anyone seen it cheaper or have a better suggestion?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Not sure you’ll notice a huge difference imho.

antares
    Free Member

Works just fine

Save your money

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

My 55mm Haven somehow looks more than 15mm shorter than my mates 70mm – looks nice in magnesium, with black faceplate

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Usual stem advice….
    Do you have any friends that ride? Ask around to see who has a spare stem and try some lengths out.

NormalMan

I’m going to try a 50mm instead of a 90 on one of my bikes.

I’ve gone for a Race Face Chester, £40 approx from the likes of Wiggle.
    Don’t know how good it is but it seemed ok to me for the money.

kimbers

well worth it imho

I got a big benefit going from 65mm to 45mm stem

meiklebike
    Free Member

I ride a 50mm stem. got my bike by set up by clive forth. brilliant advice. neck and ham string cramps totally eradicated lol. but you need the heed touching the front tyre on the ascent.

somafunk

The wider your bars the shorter your stem is generally the rule, for an example of how it will affect your position then use the stem length/rise checker here, quite a handy tool to get an idea before you make an expensive mistake.

somafunk

That you carl?….get off the bloody forum and get some work done.

zelak999
    Free Member

Good little tool that Somafunk, thanks.

somafunk

Glad to help, sometimes it takes a bit of visualisation to realise what changing the stem length/rise will do to position on the bike, helped me sort out my Kinesis ATR.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Try before you buy. I spent $80 on a hope AM stem that I have never really got on with.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think it will work because one bike currently has a 20mm longer reach that the other one anyway. If I don’t like it, I’m pretty sure I could sell the stem on at not too much of a loss

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I fancy trying a shorter stem’ is closed to new replies.