Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I don't understand the point of eBay fraud?
  • bubs

Sorry to bang on about this, but I don’t understand what the “seller” gets out of it other than having my funds for a couple of days. Do they expect people to take longer to raise issues and contact eBay or even not to bother? Is is to help short term cash problems or to launder money (but £200 doesn’t seem worth the money launderers bother)?

Does anyone actually own a XL Solaris they want to sell as this is the second time a frame has been no show?

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s so many types of eBay scam you’re going to have to elaborate?

Some scammers have worked out how to open new PayPal accounts, sell goods that don’t exist and then withdraw the money before PayPal can get take it back. Buyer gets their money back, ‘seller’ keeps the money, PayPal loses their money.

bubs

OK, that scam makes sense but mine was a seller refund 4 days after I paid. This followed me offering to pick it up in person and phoning eBay to voice my concerns about the member….just seems a waste of everyone’s time?

GrahamS

Maybe they are selling it in multiple places or under multiple eBay auctions and then only delivering to the highest bidder?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like he just sold it to someone else instead.

£200 would be on the cheap side, so he probably got a better offer and decided to **** you over.

bubs

Could be that, he sent me an email outside of eBay asking the account name that it was sold under which I guess points to multiple auctions. Less fraudulent more unfair play then.

Markie
    Free Member

I’m currently dealing with an auction I won for a set of brakes with only one sent. He’s arguing that for the price I paid I shouldn’t expect more 😯

bubs

That’s poor – cheered me up though 😆

rmacattack
    Free Member

it’s just ebay ain’t it. the scourge of online buying and selling. they did it to themselves by plain greed. bought once and vowed never again. though i hope amazon doesn’t go the same way, have seen a lot more tat and marketplace sellers popping up lately.

Cougar

It’s not ebay, it’s people. Like any other demographic TBH.

Sundayjumper

Cougar is right.

I’ve been using ebay for a long time now (just checked – since 2002, erk !) and I’ve had maybe 10 actual bad experiences. About the same again of just people not paying / going AWOL after winning.

Ebay / Paypal customer support does work though, I’ve had a few occasions where I’ve been able to get my money back, that wouldn’t be possible in the past buying from (e.g.) a forum and paying by cheque/BACS.

plyphon
    Free Member

I’m currently dealing with an auction I won for a set of brakes with only one sent. He’s arguing that for the price I paid I shouldn’t expect more

This is brilliant, what an idiot. He should of just not sent anything and refunded you. Now he will lose one brake pad and the money. Unless he sends the other after eBay tell him he will lose the money.

Markie
    Free Member

Not that it was ever in doubt (or, indeed, of interest), but I have now gotten my money back!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I don't understand the point of eBay fraud?’ is closed to new replies.