Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • I don't think I have the gene to process alcohol
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So the people at work just finished a big project, and the guy in charge got some champagne and nibble as a celebration. However it’s company policy for people to go home early on Friday and everyone has. So only me, the boss and another guy there. So I’m forced to drink half a glass of champagne to avoid terrible embarrassment (or even more than there already is).

It tasted a bit yucky but not too bad.. I almost gagged a few times and now I feel rather woozy and strange. I’m completely teetotal since I never liked the stuff, but I am thinking that it’s more than just not liking it.

iDave
    Free Member

Can I have the rest?

Jamie
    Free Member

I have said it before and I will say it again.

This is scripted.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s another bottle…

Stuey01
    Free Member

Teetotaller is lightweight shocker…

More embarrassing for the boss who bought a load of champers to celebrate with a bunch of people who aren’t there, i’d say. What a numpty.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but I’m not drunk as such, I mean I’m not weaving around or telling dirty jokes or anything.. isn’t that what happens? I just feel slightly disconnected from reality and my head hurts a bit….

And yes the boss is a numpty.

Jamie
    Free Member

What a numpty.

…or particularly cunning? Who gets to take home all that company bought champagne eh?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Molgrips, you’ve skipped drunk and passed straight to hangover. Unlucky

philconsequence
    Free Member

mol, for someone who makes a big point of reminded us on as many threads as possible that you’re intelligent i can’t help but crack a big face-wide grin at the image of you a little bit tipsy suggesting you dont have the gene to process alcohol 😆

for what its worth, and hopefully this will make you feel normal… i drink about 6 -10 units of alcohol a year and each of those units makes me feel slightly disconnected from reality but i dont go weaving about telling dirty jokes

Stuey01
    Free Member

Good point Jamie. Conniving so and so.

Molgrips, you’ve just got a bit of a buzz on that’s all. The headache is it wearing off. Nothing to worry about.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Seriously… you don’t drink, really?

iDave
    Free Member

I can see chaos at SITS after his pre-lap tequila!

molgrips
    Free Member

@Phil this is meant to be a somewhat humorous thread, since I know you’ll all laugh at me.. But really – is that all being drunk normally is? Why is it so flippin popular? I just feel a bit ill.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mol my friend…. i couldn’t honestly comment on what being drunk normally is, drunk is not a normal state for me! there will be guys reading this who drink more in an afternoon (and not get drunk) than i drink each year.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m looking towards SITS all the more now.

Torm is coming… he definitely drinks. Hell I might even take up smoking for the event.

peterfile
    Free Member

Is it cheap champagne?

A bottle of Tesco’s finest normally leaves me wanting to hurl (I’ll still drink it mind you, free booze is free booze).

molgrips
    Free Member

I can see chaos at SITS after his pre-lap tequila!

Lol.. yes.. if you make me drink tequila my lap times won’t reflect all the gains made in training.. and you’ll have some cleaning up to do…

Yeti – no, not a bit. It just seems awful. Most drinks give me an instant headache at the front of my head for about 1/2 hour. In this case I didn’t even finish my half a small glass.. must’ve had all of 50ml of the stuff. Didn’t taste all that bad in itself.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*just realises that the half bottle of wine that I left at The Consequences probably got tipped down the sink*

I had to buy more on the way home 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s probably in the fridge for when you next come.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Red wine in the fridge… that’s already been open for a few weeks… you really don’t drink!

philconsequence
    Free Member

my fridge is full of vegetables :mrgreen:

don’t worry yeti i have some very very nice red wines in the cupboard so you dont have to bring anything with you next time, used to sell expensive wines as a second job when i first started working in mental health (lots of early shifts meant i had lots of free time to kill every afternoon)

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t drink but I know what not to do with wine 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I drink about 6 -10 units of alcohol a year……

Likewise…..well maybe a smidge moar.

nacho
    Free Member

Phil, next time I’m up for a STW (or other with Torm) ride can I come over to yours to visit? Nice red wines in the cupboard 😈 😆 and they have probblay have had time to age?

Stuey01
    Free Member

mol my friend…. i couldn’t honestly comment on what being drunk normally is, drunk is not a normal state for me! there will be guys reading this who drink more in an afternoon (and not get drunk) than i drink each year.

*waves*

Sitting in the office tip tapping away at a computer is one of the last places I would want to be drunk. It isn’t really representative of most social drinkers’ experience, so I wouldn’t go making too many judgements based on this little escapade.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What sort of freaks are you?

I had 3 units of alcohol whilst having a bath last night!

steve-g
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

My head is really hurting now, I seem to have a hangover.

peterfile
    Free Member

What sort of freaks are you?

I had 3 units of alcohol whilst having a bath last night!

There’s normally something REALLY wrong if I don’t have a glass of red at some point in the evening.

I barely drink over the recommended units per week, yet I drink most evenings.

Just out of curiosity (I’m honeslty not trolling here), for those who rarely drink, is it because you just don’t appreciate booze, or for health reasons?

Most decent booze is an acquired taste (wine, good spirits, nice beer), so when you first start drinking all you notice is a foul tasting liquid that gets you smashed. You’ve got to give it time to be able to appreciate it.

For example, my mother rarely drinks. When she does, she’ll have a horrible red wine that she picked up on offer. She thinks it tastes “alright”, I think it tastes like cat vomit.

If I gave her a bottle of something reasonably cheap, but immensely better (e.g. Chateau Belgrave etc), she wouln’t be able to taste the difference, it would still be “alright”. Whereas I would actually enjoy it.

cinnamon_girl

Lightweight. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

so when you first start drinking all you notice is a foul tasting liquid that gets you smashed

So.. with that first glass – how did you feel? Did you think ‘woohoo I’m tipsy’ or ‘christ I feel awful, but I must press on to keep my mates happy’?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ugh.. I have to ride home now.. I may crash…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I feel like having another glass 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

I doubt I can muster the commitment do to my training session tho…

peterfile
    Free Member

So.. with that first glass – how did you feel? Did you think ‘woohoo I’m tipsy’ or ‘christ I feel awful, but I must press on to keep my mates happy’?

I think I started out with cider or beer.

I remember it was more a case of “this isn’t as nice tasting as I had hoped, but I feel kind of good so I’ll just continue”

But as a yoof, it was 100% effects and 0% appreciation of taste for me.

These days I HATE being drunk, I avoid it wherever possible. But I love good wine, rum, beer. So it’s now about 75% appreciation of taste and 25% effects (i.e. the mellow feeling you get after a glass).

The effects are MUCH more subtle if your body is used to drinking. So much so that they are barely noticeable after a glass. So it’s easier to just enjoy the drink.

KonaTC

Zip up your man suit 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

*tunes into the entertainment from the garden, wearing shorts n tshirt* it’s as warm today as mid summer here. I am only drinking water/nuun/coconut water for the foreseeable future until I have hydrated properly. 🙁

Ps mol, I’m working on my special tan lines in those sandals you know so well 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

🙂 DG, they should be nicely matured by the time SITS comes around. I’m going home at Easter, I can pick up my Chacos and do the same.

iDave
    Free Member

I had a glass of red with this mornings late breakfast, nudging lunchtime though and it’s Friday…..

donsimon
    Free Member

I just feel slightly disconnected from reality and my head hurts a bit….

I often get a headache from cheap champagne too, proper stuff no problems, Moët & Chandon is just pisswater.
    I’ll quite happily sink a couple of bottles of wine or a good few beers when I want without any problems the following day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘I don't think I have the gene to process alcohol’ is closed to new replies.