Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • I don't remember these at all, Shimano flappy gear change brake levers?
  • rockhopper70

I must had missed these, but someone mentioned they have a bike fitted with a standard looking brake level but the lever also tilts up and down to index the gears.
    I can’t find anything on google but that’s possibly my google skills, unless the owner is mistaken?
    What are these?

jam-bo

Dual control?

hateful things. some loved them.

convert

My 2004 xt clad bike had these. They were of acquired taste. See also rapid rise rear mechs which for reasons I can’t remember were associated with them.

scotroutes

I tried them. I liked the design as the hoses/cables exited the levers close to and parallel to the bars, making the carrying of handlebar mounted bags much simpler. They went out with 9-speed though.

rockhopper70

I reckon he’s right then, they completely passed me by!

DickBarton

Rapid rise is the ‘right’ way for a rear mech to work. I loved it and gutted it wasn’t made the normal way a rear mech should work.

Speeder

DickBarton – Member
    Rapid rise is the ‘right’ way for a rear mech to work. I loved it and gutted it wasn’t made the normal way a rear mech should work.

There’s not many that’d agree with you there Dick even if you were correct and it was a more sensible/intuitive way for rear mechs to operate it is so so so so so wrong.

Same with dual control – Shimano do like their white elephants and not actually sorting the things that matter. How many other ridiculous ideas have made production while they still refuse to do the obvious stuff that SRAM pick up and run with?

I’ll start with

Dual control
    Airlines
    Roller brakes
    Stupid big loop of cable out the back
    Long cage mechs for everything

kcr
    Free Member

I didn’t realise these were lost from memory already! My 2006 XTR dual controls are still going strong on their second set of brakes. I did switch from rapid rise to conventional travel last time I had to change the rear mech, and I still haven’t quite managed to reprogramme myself to push the lever in the opposite direction…

olly2097
    Free Member

I really liked dual control on my old spesh. Would defo buy if they made them once more.

molgrips
    Free Member

I loved dual control. Braking and changing down gears with a single squeeze. Great. I’d have them again if they still made them. And I ran Shimano brakes, which I don’t.

gribble
    Free Member

I have a set of deore dual control leavers. Let me know if anyone is gagging for them , I am willing to give them to a good home for postage.

nickb

Yep, I have a set of XTR dual controls on my White 19 ti. Love them too – will be a sad day when I have to drop them… when I eventually upgrade to a bike with probably bigger wheels!

binners

It was during a period where Shimano briefly took leave of their senses, produced these bloody awful things, the abomination of Rapid Rise rear mechs, and also signed the pact, in blood, with the devil that sealed cartridge bearings would never ever have a place in their hubs

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

CRC and Merlin have had these in stock relatively recently. Good example of technologies not transferring – combined shifter/brakes work well on road but not off road, not so much.

Stick them on a narrow bar from the same period and throw in a Girvin Flexstem and you have instant death.

scaredypants

There’s not many that’d agree with you there Dick even if you were correct and it was a more sensible/intuitive way for rear mechs to operate it is so so so so so wrong

[/quote]I’d agree with him – is so much more intuitive to use the same lever action to go up the gears on both hands (my kids even suggested that when they started riding gears)

It’s a shame that they dropped it IMO but I think probably it wasn’t compatible with shadow mechs

amedias
    Free Member

is so much more intuitive to use the same lever action to go up the gears on both hands

Not just that but it means the mech spring is helping you do the hardest shift (smaller cog to bigger) so reduces the effort at the lever, thats why RR leant itself well to flappers as it was all light finger work rather than thumb pushing. It does however mean you need a system in good shape and with a strong spring to make that shift as you can’t just tease it a bit further to shift like you cna when you’ve got old gummed up cables or worn mechs.

Never got on with he flappy shifters myself, but I do miss* RR 🙁

*Although 1st gen Alfines shift that way too so I still ahev one bike where the shifting action is reversed, somehow my brain knows as soon as I’m on the bike and I can swap between bikes without getting confused.

Same with the road bike, some Campag, some Shimano, and despite the inner lever (behind brake lever) working opposite on them my brain seems to just know and shift the right way…weird

marc
    Free Member

I bought a second hand bike that ran a set.

Not that impressed; harder to change gear than using grip shift or triggers and obviously impossible while braking.

Could never get the front to stop dropping the chain off the smaller chain ring either, so ditched the lot for a 1×10 setup which I prefer.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Definitely due a comeback.
    Especially for 1x systems, how tidy your handlebar would look

veedubba

I have a set of Deore dual controls languishing in a spares box somewhere if you want to try them out…

woody74

+1 for loving dual control

njee20
    Free Member

I really liked them.

It was during a period where Shimano briefly took leave of their senses, produced these bloody awful things, the abomination of Rapid Rise rear mechs

Not that brief, they started doing rapid rise in the mid-90s, and only dropped dual control in about 2009!

Stick them on a narrow bar from the same period and throw in a Girvin Flexstem and you have instant death.

FlexStem?! Dual Controls came out in 2003, they’re not exactly ancient history!

maccruiskeen

I’ve just taken an XT set off a bike – for cable rather than hydro brakes. Just the job for anyone looking to jump on the flappy 3×9-speed and rim-brakes bandwagon that surely must be parked just round the corner.

Alphabet

I think my SO had a set on one of her bikes at some point. Horrible things as I remember.

crazy-legs

Dual Control was ace.
    Rapid Rise was awful.

I think it was the association of the two which killed them off – in theory at least DC was supposed to be used with a RR mech. I used mine with a standard mech which personally I found vastly superior.

The later generation XT and XTR ones (once they’d ditched that hydraulic reservoir on top) were superb.

But overall, a rare occasion of Shimano getting it wrong. See also Biopace. 😉

sam_underhill

Still got my XTR ones on my pub bike! I loved them when they were on my only bike. Swapping between bikes with normal shifters makes everything feel awkward.

chrismac

I loved them. I was in the minority though

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Im still using them 🙂

But then mountaining biking for me these days is taking the lad to cricket practise on a Friday night or rugby on a sunday morn.

But back in the day I got on well with them on the trail… bought a second hand bike with XTR already fitted, swap them over to the frame they are on now and don’t think I’ve ever done anything more then a spray of GT85 maintenance wise and they are still going strong…. I must have had them 10/11 years ?

PaddyMcG
    Free Member

I too have a pair lurking in the garage somewhere, XTR ones, if anyone wants them. ST-M966. Complete with calipers.

DezB
    Free Member

Here’s my 575 in about 2005 with em. I liked the rear shifting, but always thought the front needed too much throw and changed your hand position on the brake lever too much. I seem to recall running the rear Dual-Control with a front Rapid Fire for a while

Oh yeah, and adjusting the rear shifting after years with low normal used to do my head in!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The second generation ones were better than the first

I still run them, they work and I like being able to change gear whilst on my bar ends, yes I run bar ends as well………on riser bars for full on horror

gnusmas

Had a set of XT on one bike and a set of XTR on another bike. Both bikes had rapid rise too. Sold the bike with the XTs on and gave the XTRs to a mate of mine when he was rebuilding his old racing Parkpre frame.

Only changed from the XTRs when i got a pair of Saint brakes and had to get seperate shifters.

I quite liked the set up and would have them again.

matt_outandabout

I’m still running rapid rise XTR 9sp rear mech.
    Brilliant thing, more intuitive shifting and smoothness back up the block.
    The rest of the world is wrong.

maccruiskeen

yes I run bar ends as well………on riser bars for full on horror

My mother warned me about people like you.

MoreCashThanDash

Rapid Rise was brilliant. My lad now has my mech on his bike.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

My old merlin malt 4 had dual control levers. Never really got on with them.

Probably still have them in a box somewhere.

stuey
    Free Member

I loved them – had XTR on a Palomino – and I still look our for RR on ebay. PaddyMcG – will have to ping you 😉

??Are mountain bike Dual controls different from ‘roadie ones’??

chestrockwell

Agreed, it was ace and worked better than ‘normal’. How can any one describe it as an abomination? Once you got your head round the operation it worked better.

Flappy paddles were mince though.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

The 1st-gen were a bit wobbly…but I quite liked the 2nd-gen as the change up was a bit more ‘snappy’ and there was a thumb lever to change down. And the brake lever shape was the new M965/975 design which I still think was Shimano’s best:

squirrelking
    Free Member

If anyone would like to do a swap on a rapid rise mech I have an XT I absolutely hate. Seriously. email in profile.

I have dual controls on my road bike, I like, it certainly works on that plane. Not sure how happy I would be using it on an MTB brake though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘I don't remember these at all, Shimano flappy gear change brake levers?’ is closed to new replies.