Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • "I don't have accidents". Err yeah you do love!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s what I thought when she said it, after she’d just run into the back of our car. Well, not the car as such but the Thule rack carrying 2 bikes. Luckily the bikes were OK as we were just off on holiday but my rack is ****ed.
    To be fair I had to calm get down as she was rather upset and I felt like it was me that hit her!
    Ho hum. No one injured I suppose.

Middle of Bristol yesterday afternoon, broad daylight, I was doing 10mph max and stopped as someone stopped in front of me, if anyone’s interested.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

“I don’t have accidents”

In that case she hit you deliberately, there are very few accidents these days just people screwing up.

andyl
    Free Member

Bugger. Are you all sorted now?

Could have lent you a tow bar rack as I’ve got a thule 3 bike tow bar one here (just south of Bristol).

(got an emergency halfords hatchback hang-on rack too if it wasnt a tow bar one)

monkeyboyjc

Did you have a tail board? We’re your lights visible or blocked by the bikes?

Junkyard
    Free Member

4 posts to blaming the OP

well done

scotroutes

Does a childs face have lights?

monkeyboyjc

Junkyard – no one in the three posts above is blaming the op!

brooess
    Free Member

The guy cutting my hair this morning was convinced that when he hit a cyclist when he turned left without checking the road was clear – that he’d done nothing wrong… in fact he has going to knock off the next cyclist who did that 😯
    I was sitting in the barber’s chair in full lycra having ridden there but he still seemed surprised when I made it clear I thought that was pretty offensive.

People seem to go funny when they get in their cars

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Are you sure the bikes are ok? My bike was clipped by a car, so I thought, turns out it twisted the forks and put them out of alignment.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did you have a tail board? We’re your lights visible or blocked by the bikes?

Thule EuroWAY 3 bike towbar mounted rack. Full lights, number plate, the lot. (And we’d checked the lights were working that morning too) Plus you can still see the car lights too as it’s a Focus estate and they sit higher then the bikes. So she got 5 brake lights in her face.
    There’s not a snowballs chance in hell that it’s not 100% her fault. Capishe? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There’s not a snowballs chance in hell that it’s not 100% her fault. Capishe?

More importantly do you want any for the next month?

monkeyboyjc

Fair enough! 😀

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Did you dazzle her with brake lights?

CheesybeanZ

Beaten by 35 seconds 😀

iolo
    Free Member

Is your neck really hurting? Are the 6 others in the car with you’s necks really hurting too?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Any whiplash? 😈

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Check she hasn’t shoved the tow bar up under the car. If it was fitted with one.

rondo101
    Free Member

parkesie
    Free Member

Saw the bikes and thought cyclist its ok for me to give you a nudge.

cinnamon_girl

Could have been a bloke saying that!

Less of the sexist nonsense please. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

all my cycling near misses are with young women drivers.

PP did you take scene pics?

If I was her I’d claim that your brake lights were obscured. Prove they werent. How? You cant without scene pics. I’d just claim your lying/rack wasnt the one. It’d go 50:50 at least

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah got pics and an independent witness.

rickon
    Free Member

Police don’t refer to them as Accidents, they’re Road Traffic Collisions. Accident suggests there is no one to blame. As there always is some moron involved.

Note: I have been that moron in the past.

mick_r

Best moron we had was with mrs sat at traffic lights with handbrake on.

Next thing hears “beep” then “beep beep” then a dull thud. Then faced with slightly agressive man ranting about her rolling backwards into his brand new car. He insists they pull over to adjacent supermarket to discuss, by which time bloke has finally noticed that the junction was facing downhill….. Suddenly he does not want to make an issue of it and needs to be somewhere else urgently 🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

all my cycling near misses are with young women drivers.

And just to even that up, all my cycling near misses have been with middle-aged men 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Accident suggests there is no one to blame

No it doesn’t. Accident means it wasn’t intentional.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

If you’re not expecting to hit a cyclist when you turn across a junction without looking then you have no place on the road.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

“Accident” kind of infers it couldn’t be helped,
    “Collision ” removes that inferral
    ( IMHO )

Would be helpful if such incidents were referred to as collisions more often as folks might start to realise that most collisions could have been avoided if actions or thoughts had been modified in some way,

Just a thought, as most so called accidents have a root cause.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I drop a glass, it’s an accident. It’s still my fault, of course. I’ve no idea where people get this idea that accidents don’t have blame. Perhaps when we are kids our parents say ‘don’t worry it’s ok, it was only an accident’. My daughter knocked a bowl of cereal over today; an accident but her fault nevertheless. I reminded her to be careful with bowls.

deadkenny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

No it doesn’t. Accident means it wasn’t intentional

Plenty of people are sent to jail for killing people unintentionally.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Accident as per the definition up there required unexpected AND unintentional. Glasses can be slippery, dropping them unless you have a good hold of them is not unexpected, so it’s not an accident, it’s just clumsy.

It can be avoided if you stop carrying glasses like a fud.

njee20
    Free Member

Plenty of people are sent to jail for killing people unintentionally.

Yes, because there’s still blame…

Accident as per the definition up there required unexpected AND unintentional. Glasses can be slippery, dropping them unless you have a good hold of them is not unexpected, so it’s not an accident, it’s just clumsy.

Surely you could argue away every ‘accident’ like that?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You could also argue that if you’ve not considered the outcomes of your actions then you are negligent.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

Does a childs face have lights?

No but then its not a legal requirement if your lights are obscured is it?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading of people who’d lost family in road crashes complaining that they weren’t accidents but the results of negligence, drunken driving or whatever. So RTA became RTC.

Sounds right to me.

There’s still stuff like lightning strikes and severe gusts blowing branches off trees. Though in the latter people will try to find someone to sue.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘"I don't have accidents". Err yeah you do love!’ is closed to new replies.