Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 219 total)
  • I don't give way to BMW's…shame me!
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

Been driving Beemers for about five years now. Not noticed any difference. Most people don’t indicate properly, don’t understand how to filter, don’t know who has priority and can’t work out how to switch their fogs off even when it’s sunny.

I rejoice in swiftly proceeding from A to B safe in the knowledge I’m the perfect driver. And that’s not a joke.

singlesman
    Free Member

Amazing, very similar mentality to all those twunts who’d run you off the road for having the audacity to be there on a bicycle,

mikertroid
    Free Member

Indeed. They’re so ignorant

mickmcd
    Free Member

one good thing about having a really crap car is if a bmw/audi etc is trying to force it’s way through you can just hold your ground so they have to abandon

Just let em run into you …but the right lines

teethgrinder

Never, ever seen a Hyundai i10 driven within 15mph of the speed limit. Ever. ****.

People who pull out of junctions and proceed to pootle like they are the only person on the road. Even though there is nothing behind me. ****.

singletrackmind

Where I live its the norm to stop and hold a line of traffic doing 40mph if you are turning left., To allow a car out from a side road , even if there is a stream of cars coming the from the opposite way.

Or , out from a petrol station . Appraoching car is 100m away , so they pull out half across the lane to block it and wait for a gap coming the other way. This I hate , so I get as close as possible to their drivers door so they have to make an awkward L shaped turn, because I can be an asshat behind the wheel.

Its not just BMW drivers . M27 road works, 50mph limit . The vast majority of the speeders are in german cars , or vans.

Try driving within 10% of the posted speed limit on my commute and I get tailgated everyday by pretty much all other traffic.
    No -one cares anymore about leaving a gap , the 2 second rule etc . Mums with their own kids in their SUV ,. – ” well your kids who walk or cycle to school can be crushed under my wheels and its not my fault you cannot afford a shiney SUV steel box to transport your own children around in , Im late for my nail bar appointment”
    Or its men who dig holes in the road , no time to drive anywhere in a laid back relaxing manner . Its full gas everywhere as the boss is paying for the derv and the cafe is quickly filling up with other men
    who dig holes in the road

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This is the one I was thinking of malvernrider!
    No BMW content!

haha, twunts. No worries, I’m an equal-opportunity eye-roller 🙄 😉

martinhutch

There is no greater pleasure* than cruising through Ilkley on the A65 at 29mph (past a couple of schools) and enjoying the tailgatey anger of various BMW X5s, sprinter vans. Occasionally an irate older gentleman in a Macan.

*there are greater pleasures, obviously.

mmannerr

Over here it is in the law that you need give way to a bus leaving stop, but only if area is classified as built-up area. Pure entertainment for all the bus drivers, less so for other drivers.

chestrockwell

Never seem to notice any difference in my wife’s 1 Series. Maybe it’s not flash enough to stir up the jealous rage eating away at some of you? For the record, it costs no more per month than a focus, Astra etc.

jonnyboi

I have a 330D, wife has an audi S3, we’ve got a T5 for the weekend.

I’m not expecting to feel much love

Daffy

I really don’t understand this mentality at all. What other groups of people to you actively discriminate against due to appearance?

I drive a 13 year old BMW that I’ve owned for 12 years. Does that make me a nobber/cockwomble/etc?

Poopscoop

Daffy – Member
    I really don’t understand this mentality at all. What other groups of people to you actively discriminate against due to appearance?

I drive a 13 year old BMW that I’ve owned for 12 years. Does that make me a nobber/cockwomble/etc?

As the op I must point out it was a self deprecating post as I know it’s ridiculous and pretty of me. 🙂

So no, your not a cockwomble lol

funkmasterp

Maybe it’s not flash enough to stir up the jealous rage eating away at some of you?

Always love this line. A car is a tool, like a hammer or screwdriver, for doing a specific, really boring job. There is no jealousy. I am beginning to despair of this place. I think roughly 60% of the posts on this thread have been in jest. The other 40% appears to be people taking things a bit too seriously.

Lighten up and yes, yes you’re a cockwomble 😉

mjsmke

Try driving within 10% of the posted speed limit on my commute and I get tailgated everyday by pretty much all other traffic.

Same here. Though I found after having a tow bar fitted, less people tailgate.

sbob
    Free Member

reminded me of a magnificent BMW vs Merc standoff

The greater number of cylinders has priority, if both V8s then capacity wins.
    If both V12s then the greedy bastards can fight to the death.

sbob
    Free Member

mjsmke – Member

Same here. Though I found after having a tow bar parking sensor fitted, fewer people tailgate.

😉

globalti
    Free Member

Thank God BMW don’t make white vans, eh?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I get that a lot too. I also drive an MX5 so am quite low down – I get dazzled by the head/running lights in my rearview mirror. So it’s normally set to “don’t dazzle”. If someone wants to jump up and down in their seat behind me, that’s their issue. I’m driving the way I want – which is generally the way you’re “meant” to drive. Speed limit/indicating etc

funkmasterp

Yep, I get it too. Drive at a legal speed and watch somebody in the rear view mirror take one step closer to their head exploding. I especially like it when they overtake you and then get stuck behind the car directly in front of you. Or when they overtake, speed off and you casually roll up behind them a few minutes later at the lights / junction / roundabout.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I drive a BMW and a Fiesta. Plenty of idiots around in all types of car, so indeed the OP is being very irrational.

What a nice car does though I’d give you options, as in a BM can get to 60 mph very easily and sit there with no problems so you very quickly catch up people in some sh!t box who feel like 35 mph is warp speed.

Later today I will start a thread about idiots driving Golfs. They never indicate, drive too close and always join the back of a long que rather than using the right hand lane and then filtering in at the last minute (which is proven to be more efficient)

Yak

I think I’m generally quite relaxed about driving, and don’t get too much cockish behaviour back at me either. But I do stick to speed limits in urban areas, regardless of whatever is happening behind. Notably many folk tend to speed past my house at 50 (in a 40. Should be a 30 – small village, school etc). I have no qualms about pulling out into a small gap and taking an age to get up to 40. If I can see someone getting irate, i’ll take longer doing so. No point thrashing an engine from cold eh?

DezB
    Free Member

What other groups of people to you actively discriminate against due to appearance?

Oh yes, the OP’s attitude has been compared to racism. I’ve seen everything now. 😆

munrobiker
    Free Member

I like to think I drive to the highway code, and the speed limiter goes on in 30s and 40s. I drive Peugeot and Skoda superminis. And even considering all that, every time I end up behind a Vauxhall Agila or Meriva I think “oh, well, that’s any chance of me reaching my destination vaguely near the time I intended shot to pieces”.

For the record, I let practically no one out after an accident this year. I try not to do anything outside the highway code to avoid confusion.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, and I’m not sure of its changed as I last drove one three years ago, but the indicators in a BMW operate in a completely different way to all other cars. It doesn’t excuse those who don’t use them but it’s a stupid piece if design.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I will say on the point made about indicators that there are a few manufacturers who have programmed the fog lights to come on when the steering wheel is turned, it kind of indicates to other road users which way the driver “intends” to manoeuvre.. but it really is only an intention and not a substitute for using indicators. So, turn steering wheel right and the right fog light comes on.. you get the gist.
    Seems like a good idea to me, I think it maybe Citroen small SUV types (ugly boxy things, new design) that have this.

I do like the US idea of .. if you leave the keys in the ignition of a car and either it’s still running or not, and you get out the hazard lights come on.. I like that, I think that’s a smart idea.

scud
    Free Member

To generalise i do definitely think that certain types of car tend to be driven in certain ways, not all BMW/ Audi drivers are bad drivers, they just tend to drive in a certain way.

One thing 8500 miles of cycle commuting last year showed me was that BMW/ Audi/ white van man will drive aggressively, they are the ones that will clearly see you and still pull out of a junction into your path, or if there is a traffic island in middle of the road, they will actively accelerate and try to beat you to the gap. BUT, at least they saw you even if they did put the sh*ts up you doing it

The ones that actually scare you (and i got injured twice being knocked off in a year) are the person who doesn’t bother to clear windows, the elderly gent that pulls out of side road because he simply hasn’t seen you and the mums with the 4 kids in car, again all generalisations but it is just observations, as whilst they may not drive in an arrogant way, they just have not seen you at all.

A lot say it is just jealousy above, but it isn’t as i tend to find Mercedes, Jaguar, Volvo drivers driving cars of an equal value, but they don’t usually feel the tendency to drive 3 ft from your chuff all the time.

In the same way for some reason you don’t need to be lobotomised to drive a BMW estate, but you do for a saloon, you don’t for a Land Rover Defender, but you do for a Range Rover and if you drive an S3 and think not wearing socks and wearing loafers in December is a good thing, then you should have your own lane, where you can just all drive 1ft from each others chuff and wave your willies at each other.

(tongue firmly in cheek)

onandon
    Free Member

When I lived in the UK the Vauxhall zafira was the car always driven by total knobbers.
    Without fail, any near miss on the bike or getting cut up in the car, total knobber in a zafira.

martinhutch

Predicting driver behaviour by stereotyping and aggregating previous experiences of that kind of vehicle has always been useful, and long may it continue.

I’m sure there are lots of nice, responsible Audi drivers out there, but I work on the basis that if I see an Audi, the driver is more likely to do something stupid or aggressive. Older Audi saloons – even more so.

Same as if I see a Micra with a hat on the back shelf, they are more likely to be an unobservant and upredictable ditherer and I need to give them more room.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Don’t worry OP, you’re far from alone in this according to a study carried out by a leasing company

Don’t let BMW drivers out

molgrips
    Free Member

Edit – the worst ones are the bastards that push their way out of junctions and then wave like you let them out.

Sometimes youi’ve been waiting for five minutes and seen hundreds of cars pass, none of whom show the most basic elements of human decency, they won’t even lift off for a few seconds to help someone get about their day. That boils my piss. The downright ignorance and selfishness of it. So yes, I nudge my way out because **** you too if you won’t spare a few seconds for your fellow human and make the world a better place.

retro83
    Free Member

Daffy – Member

Sorry but ‘premium badge’ cars do attract a certain type of person disproportionately. Especially large 4×4/SUVs.

Not saying all of the drivers are narcissistic, self-important, i’m-so-clever-cos-i’ve-got-20-inch-diamond-cut-wheels-and-tinted-windows chunts. But the stereotype exists for good reason, and that reason isn’t envy. Most of these cars are easily within reach even for modest incomes thanks to the lease revolution.

I don’t block people though, that’d make me a bawbag too. Life’s too short.

steve_b77
    Free Member

chestercopperpot – Member
    When you buy German you have privileged access to roads. It’s about time the jealous peasants understood this.

This :mrgreen:

There really are some very grumpy, self opinionated numpties on here aren’t there 😆

lowey

Having spent the last 25 years commuting on the M60, I let everyone in… even if they are forcing their way in. I simply dont care. I realised long ago that getting really wound up about cock drivers just negatively impacts me.

So i let them all through if they are indicating or just pushing. Smile inwardly to myself and get on with my life.

martinhutch

Having spent the last 25 years commuting on the M60

You have my deepest sympathies. I imagine that would break my spirit too. 🙂

piemonster

I drive a white van and an Audi, oh dear.

What I can’t quite figure out is why you’d drive aggressively in an Audi, it’s such a comfortable relaxing experience (at least mine is) that I’m too chilled out to worry about it.

Kryton57

At the very least this thread has revealed how many opportunities to be inconsiderate are taken. One set of behaviour leads to in another, your all guilty of condoning and perpetuating inconserate habits.

crofts2007
    Free Member

I’ve read somewhere in the past that the BMW model prefix letters are cock index multipliers, based around the Roman numeral system…….

PJM1974
    Free Member

My older brother bought a brand new, highly spec’d Five-series a while back and went out of his way to drive it in a courteous and polite fashion, letting people out of junctions and generally not being a knobber.

He enjoyed himself immensely.

fifeandy
    Free Member

You guys all need to move north and have a more relaxing driving experience.
    Biggest trouble I ever have as a driver is lack of overtaking spots for the elderly folk in their small red (why are they always red?) cars with nothing better to do than trundle around at 35-40mph ruining everyone elses day.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 219 total)

The topic ‘I don't give way to BMW's…shame me!’ is closed to new replies.