Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • I don't get this dying helping raise lots of money…
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

660,000 = 75 years, in hours.

it seems that 1 runner dies for every 333,333 hours of running, but 1 person dies for every 660,000 hours of being alive.

i have no idea what this shows…

hels
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – yes a lot of people in here have missed the point, looking through their veil of grief for somebody they have never met.

I am interested how you know that Diana had a passion for dead people – are you in touch with her ? Would you you be able to pass on a message for me ?

wwaswas

I think the point I was trying to make was in response to ‘someone dies every year’ and show that this was not only untrue but that mortality for Marathon runners is actually less than for the population as a whole over the same period of time. Probably.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

a lot of people in here have missed the point, looking through their veil of grief for somebody they have never met.

I’m not grieving for her, no I have never met her. However, I have empathy for the people that she has left behind.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I am interested how you know that Diana had a passion for dead people “

Nooo she was the first person that everyone thought that they could get on the band wagon with, and feel deeply moved by her death, before that people died and life went on as normal, since then (predominantly when the press get hold of it) some one dies and the whole nation has to have a group hug for them, even if the week before they would have passed them on the street without giving two hoots about them, let alone going for a tribute run in their memory and laying flowers. (that bit moved me to tears)

wwaswas

Nooo she was the first person that everyone thought that could get on the band wagon with and feel deeply moved by her death

Churchill seemed to get a bit of a send off?

A total of 321,360 people filed past the catafalque during the three days of lying-in-state.

Today, millions around the world watched the funeral procession at home and abroad as television pictures were beamed from 40 BBC cameras placed along the route.

The mourners were led by Sir Winston’s wife, Lady Clementine Churchill, his son Randolph and daughters Mary Soames and Lady Sarah Audley. The Queen and other members of the royal family, the Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, and representatives of 112 countries packed into the cathedral for the service.
    The funeral cortege was accompanied by a 19-gun salute and an RAF fly-past as it began the journey to Sir Winston’s final resting place. At Tower Hill, the coffin was piped aboard the launch Havengore for the voyage up the Thames.

From Waterloo, it was placed onto a train drawn by a Battle of Britain locomotive named Winston Churchill. Thousands gathered to pay tribute at wayside stations.

grum
    Free Member

I’m with you on feeling uncomfortable that the media have clearly run with this because she was so pretty, I sort of agree about a culture of over-sentimentality at times, but…….

However, the point I was making that I think its disgusting that some one dies and then people start dishing money out to charity. The fact is if she hadn’t of died she would have raised about £500 !

In what way is it disgusting for people to give to charity when they wouldn’t have done otherwise? Especially as you seem to be in favour of rich people doing it just to get a tax break. 😕

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“even if the week before they would have passed them on the street without giving two hoots about them, let alone going for a tribute run in their memory and laying flowers. (that bit moved me to tears)”

True… but like people have said a pretty girl, so think I might have done.

I was going to run to Big Ben anyway this afternoon, to remember what a great time I had on Sunday. Just thought I’d extend it to pay my respects to a fellow competitor. Then thought I’ll be going past Embankment tube I’ll pick some flowers up as a sign of that respect.

Guess my mistake, was stating it on here… although think I’ve got off pretty lightly… maybe most think it was a decent thing to do… if a bit soppy.

(You can always tell when your right on here you dont get “come back”)

inigomontoya
    Free Member

My apologies for not checking the marathon death statistics, so on average someone dies every 2-3 yrs. doing the L.M.

hels
    Free Member

Thats nice to know Ro5ey. Perhaps we should all be right silently, it’s the perfect solution. No come back = must be right.

I’m being totally right about absolutely everything in the world, quietly, at my own desk at this very moment. So take that internet haterz !!

(actually the BBC website says 11 people died on sunday at the London Marathon they are generally a trusted source. But perhaps some of them were spectators, and not good looking female or young)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’m just winkling out the wrongerns Hels…

The biggest normally come out first.

stever
    Free Member

11 people ever that is.

derekrides
    Free Member

stever – Member
    Real people, people. Real people with family, friends, lives that have been touched. A bit soon isn’t it? Tough crowd on here.

Tough crowd? They’re not a tough crowd, a lot of them are senseless fools, sanctimonious cretins or cynical idiots sitting in cowardly judgement behind the safety of their keyboards. Nasty place at times – this.

Dobbo

11 people ever that is.

Can we mourn retrospectively?

hels
    Free Member

Well this thread is certainly winkling out some of the feeble minded. Although most have got bored and wandered off to find some dead kittens now.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It was only last week I was asking how to kill pigeons. I’m heartless though.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

. Although most have got bored and wandered off to find some dead kittens now.

I think it’s because it’s obvious you can’t be reasoned with

neninja
    Free Member

Boy are there some total tossers on here sometimes.

If a large number of people want to see some good come from this lady’s sad demise then good on them.

If it gives some comfort to her family right now then even better.

I do wonder though whether people would be donating in such numbers if she hadn’t been fit and healthy but someone of the same age who was clinically obese. Would it be seen as inevitable or somehow self inflicted under those circumstances? I suspect the total would still be nearer £400 than £400,000 if that had been the case.

D0NK

I Can see FunkyDuncs point.
    Smaritans: Can we have some money please?

Tumbleweed by danvanmoll, on Flickr]

Runner: I’m doing a marathon, can you sponsor me?
    JoePublic: grumble grumble
    Runner: that’s 26 freaking miles!
    JP: ok here’s a few quid

Media: good looking lady runner died FOR CHARITY!
    JP:…well you know the rest.

The charity was just as deserving (or not, I dunno) as it was when they asked for money originally, why does someone have to die before everyone suddenly cares? (and cares vehemently, woe betide anyone who questions it)

(atleast I think that was FDs point apologies if I misinterpreted)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Blimey, its currently at 822,000 pounds and Justgiving have waived their fee.

flatfish
    Free Member

Hope it’s going to end well. 😯
    Wonder what the pathology report says?

Muke
    Free Member
    arcane
    Free Member

“What on earth is wrong with rip threads? “

Perhaps something to do with the people not giving a screw when many die in horrible circumstances day after day, but when the media bids ‘dance little monkeys’, they all do! EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Makes a mockery of humanity if you ask me.

It only matters when it’s printed on the front page of a tabloid.

Recently a football player had a bout of seriously ill health from which he later recovered. When it happened, crowds of people held a ‘vigil’ outside the football club in a town close to me. Two days before, three people walking along the pavenment three miles down the road were killed instantly by a car hitting the pavement.

Apparently their lives weren’t very important because they weren’t famous.

It’s all very cheap and very shallow!

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘I don't get this dying helping raise lots of money…’ is closed to new replies.