Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I did a Learn to Row course today…
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

..at Bristol Ariel Rowing Club.

Yeah, I know, sounds a bit middle-class for a class warrior like me 😆

But, it was fun, I mean, really enjoyable. We went through some basic safety stuff, then a short session on the ergos to show us the posture and legs/back/arms sequence which we would be forgetting a short while later. Then four of us got into an old wooden clinker training boat and set off down the river, with yours truly in Bow (I think that might have been something to do with me being a shortarse).

Most of the time we were out of sequence but there were occasional 30 second periods of four of us rowing in unison, when the boat would feel like it was flying, and it really did feel wonderful. I can't wait for next weekend's sessions now.

I wonder if someday I might share a drink with Flash, Stoner et al…

Smee
    Free Member

Rowing is easy. It is nice when you get the thing flying along though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don't drink with proles.

😉

Rowing's not really my bag, bar the odd occasion in a gig down in Cornwall, but it's a very satisfying thing to do!

clubber
    Free Member

Rowing's a great sport. It's worth considering L2R at city of Bristol rc rather than ariel though if you have any intention of maybe getting into it – much better senior squad there while ariel is a bit "village"…

Pimms?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don't drink with proles.

😆

but it's a very satisfying thing to do!

Indeed..I'd heard it was, but didn't realise how. Can't wait to do a bit of sculling. But easy? I think not…maybe you're just good at everything you do Goan.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It's worth considering L2R at city of Bristol rc

Nah, Mrs deadly rows with Ariel and the reasons you state are the ones why I chose Ariel. I will only ever do it as a recreational thing. At 38 and 5'7", I'm never going to get into it "seriously" now.

clubber
    Free Member

Fair enough 🙂 The scenery's nicer at Ariel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some of the scenery down on Lycra Lane in Putney can be quite nice as well……!

clubber
    Free Member

I knew I remebered you perving over me CFH 😉

Smee
    Free Member

DD – I have a silly high level of natural fitness and long levers. It makes me good at things like that. Plus I hate being crap at stuff so work at things.

donsimon
    Free Member

Rowing is ace. Generally a good crowd of people. Did my time at the working class Grosvenor RC rather than the more high brow Royal Chester.

Enjoy.

muttleyb
    Free Member

Because of membership numbers, City are looking for people for the L2R who will probably end up wanting to be competitive, although there is a growing rec side of things these days. Agree with Clubber – Ariel definitely has the prettier water.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a silly high level of natural fitness and long levers. It makes me good at things like that.

You're also imbued with a high level of modesty.

Some of the scenery down on Lycra Lane in Putney can be quite nice as well……!

😆 I shoulda known there's be something…

woodey
    Free Member

I raced in an 8 for 5 years (13 – 18) at number 2. The feeling of 8 guys in perfect timing pulling a carbon-fibre boat up and over the water was simply incredible, I still miss it today…

IdleJon

At 38 and 5'7", I'm never going to get into it "seriously" now.

Don't be discouraged, you could be in the Olympics by the time you're, um 50ish. 😉

(IdleJon, aged 41, still dreams of being outside half for Wales and the Lions, and scoring the winning try in the Welsh Cup Final, jinking around Neil J………..zzzzzzz)

clubber
    Free Member

Woodey – you rowed in the same seat in the same boat type for five years?! Weren't you bored silly?

allthepies
    Free Member

>At 38 and 5'7"

Shortarse old **** 😉

jonb
    Free Member

Rowing is a backwards sport. IF you want fitness and water take up marathon kayaking or white water racing. At least that way you can see where you're going.

geoffj

I first read this thread as I went on a course to learn to argue today

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rowing is a backwards sport

Not if you're the cox!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I did a Learn to Row course today…’ is closed to new replies.