Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I currently have my Toras in pieces – help needed
  • BoardinBob

Is there a way to remove the black bit from the blue bit?

Blue is the turnkey lockout, black is the top cap

techsmechs
    Free Member

there is but dont…. believe me.

Whats wrong with it?

BoardinBob

70mm out of 120mm travel. Someone on bike radar suggested removing the turnkey to see if it made a difference.

techsmechs
    Free Member

could be a number of things – Do you have a remote lever?

BoardinBob

no, turnkey

techsmechs
    Free Member

crown mounted? Is it an air fork?

BoardinBob

Yeah crown mounted. It’s a coil spring

The full saga: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12618940&start=0

techsmechs
    Free Member

The only thing to check would be the oil volume in the turnkey and in the lower legs – if this is correct then I wouldn’t start stripping that apart…

BoardinBob

and the suggestion to remove the turnkey http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12620034&start=0

BoardinBob

Plenty of oil in the turnkey. Don’t have the lowers off.

techsmechs
    Free Member

It might be too much oil. Check the volume againt SRAM.com technicall. Same with the lowers

Really dont pull the turnke apart….

BoardinBob

😆

What happens if I do?

shinsplints

steve_b77
    Free Member

that’ll defo ve too much of something in the lowers, my bro had the same problem with his recon 351’s, I took the lowers off and a bit of water came out – mixed with the oil – cleaned them out, put the right amount of oil in and hey presto 130mm of travel again

techsmechs
    Free Member

Its a pain in the arse and it will not help you find the travel your missing.

However if you would rather spend the evening in the shed rather than the pub…..

BoardinBob

Just finished a full strip down and rebuild. Unfortunately neither Halfords, Evans or a local motor factors carry any fork oil so I had to re-cycle the stuff that was already there.

I discovered that the upper leg had about 50ml too much oil in it straight out of the factory. 🙄

Initial bounce test once it was rebuilt shows massive improvements. Getting about 90mm just by really pushing down on the bars versus a max of 70mm before even when I was out riding.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

IIRC you are in Glasgow? The motorbike shops on Great Western Road sell fork oil.

BoardinBob

I tried a couple of motorbike places in the southside and they were closed but I couldn’t be bothered trailing up to the west end too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I currently have my Toras in pieces – help needed’ is closed to new replies.