• This topic has 59 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • I can't sleep
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Can’t you tell the night staff you’re in pain? They used to fire me up with oral morphine and Id pass out for hours ha ha. (Except when cats were running around my bed 😉 )

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve always found this to be one of the better sleep hygiene docs. It covers a broad range of solutions, from the very practical (which you may already know about!) to the more psychological. It’s appreciated and understood that not all the solutions will be ideal for everyone, but the important thing is to take away what works for you- and there will be something that works for you! 🙂

Link

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Didn’t Maggie Thatcher sleep for something like four hours a night, but still lived to ~88?

shermer75
    Free Member

Didn’t Maggie Thatcher sleep for something like four hours a night, but still lived to ~88?

Yeah but she was made of sour cream and bullets

wilburt
    Free Member

Podcasts and Tesco sleeping pills.

perchypanther
    Free Member

sour cream and bullets

Podcasts and Tesco sleeping pills.

The two next flavours of Walkers crisps?

molgrips
    Free Member

I would agree that trying to sleep when you can’t is futile and a waste of time. So I usually get up and do something else. Usually something fun like play PS3 games I can’t play when everyone else is up.

Or I often read – I do do that in bed though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Listen to music 😀
    [video]https://youtu.be/P8JEm4d6Wu4[/video]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If you read that article I linked to , the dude in it links Maggie’s dementia to her famed sleeping habits

DezB
    Free Member

Listen to music

That’s what I do.
    Hardly ever have trouble falling asleep, but always wake up at 3-4am and can’t get back to sleep. So I have a load of ambient music on a little iPod. Earphones in and I sleep through. (Usually)

Kahurangi

Can’t sleep? Have a, you know *whistles*

jimmy

Assuming Saxon passed out about 130am and left others to ponder insomnia?

EDIT:

Can’t sleep? Have a, you know *whistles*

Rarely works for me but always worth a shot (sts)

SaxonRider

Some good ideas here. Thanks. I did eventually pass out, but managed to edit an article I was working on before I did. 🙂

Who knew sleep was such a chore?!?

Drac

If you read that article I linked to , the dude in it links Maggie’s dementia to her famed sleeping habits

Well that’s me ****.

ahsat

Normally i sleep ok, wake up occasionally as much as the next person. However at the moment I’m in the last 10 days of delivering a major piece of work I’m solely responsible for and after taking a while to get to sleep, I then sleep for a few hours before waking up thinking about how to improve it! Thing is it would be a lot easier to work on it if I slept properly. It’s a viscous circle.

Drac

Is it worse when P20 is nights? My Mrs really struggles to sleep when I’m on nights.

ahsat

Yeah that doesn’t always help. Particularly as he doesn’t do that many full night shifts, so it can take a couple of nights to get used to. As a grown adult it sounds so stupid, but I go to sleep listening to the radio with a teddy in the bed and that normally works.

At the moment he is on early shifts (6 am), so I’m trying to lie there very still to ensure he gets enough sleep.

maccruiskeen

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfHP5LHVNY&t=8s[/video]

bigjim

Fellow insomniac here, I seem to switch between not being able to get to sleep for hours or falling asleep quickly then waking between 3 and 5 am for a few hours. Completely life altering and so frustrating.

One thing that’s really cool if you live in a town/city is to drive around for a bit. It’s quite eerie how quiet it is at 2am, the only people you see are drunk or groups of neds on bikes, presumably out robbing stuff.

DrP

I go through phases of terrible sleep… last night was up till about 1am, awake at 6 am…

Kids, stress, worries etc all contribute.

Sleep hygeine advice is useful.
    My ‘get out’ technique is to litereally not worry about it.

I used to get really stressed…. “I’m not sleeping//I’ll be so tired..”.. now I just lay there in bed (I do suggest you get up and out of bed unless you can REALLY not fret about it) and listen to pod casts.
    I know sleep will come.
    I’m generally tired all the time anyway, so it’s not a huge difference to me!

DrP

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘I can't sleep’ is closed to new replies.