Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • I can't see! Any good solutions to sweat in the eyes?
  • GrahamS

Warmish morning today, feeling good and I had a decent sweat on by the end of my commute.
    But… I had to stop twice because my sweat was stinging my eyes so much I couldn’t keep them open!

Why’s that then? Sweat is salty, tears are salty, what’s the issue? Who designed this blimmin system anyway? 😉

Anything I can do to help reduce the sting? (i.e. is something in my diet making it sting worse than normal?) Is it possible that the occasional use of hayfever eyedrops has made my eyes more sensitive?

For the record: I showered before the ride and there was no “product” on my face or hair. I don’t wear a helmet, I wear glasses when I ride, I have pretty short hair and, ahem, a high hairline. 😳

I’d rather not wear a big 80’s-stylee headband if at all possible, I look like enough of a gimp on the bike as it is.

Jamie
    Free Member

Buff.

Pirate.

Sorted.

wwaswas

wot Jamie sed.

Edric64
    Free Member

Wear a buff pirate style works for me .By the way dont ever mention again on here that you dont wear a helmet or the Stw helmet police will be on your case .

qtip

Grow a massive bushy monobrow – job done.

GrahamS

Buff.

Pirate.

Sorted.

Hmmm.. I refer the honourable gentleman to the phrase “I look like enough of a gimp on the bike as it is” 😀

Though I guess I could pair it with a hoop earring and a stuffed parrot.

nosemineb
    Free Member

A lot of long distance runners put vaseline on their eyebrows! I guess its to divert the sweat away but it could be some strange fetish!

Edric64
    Free Member

Its better than looking all 80s tennis player with a headband

jam-bo

I bought a halo headband recently. it looks a bit eighties but works really well both running and riding. seems to stop my sunnies steaming up too.

didnt realise just how well it works until I didn’t use it for the first time in a while the other day. eyes were really sore by the end of a hot 25 miles on the road.

ordered it from here haloheadbanduk.com and turned up next day.

woody2000
    wwaswas

wear the buff and a helmet and avoid the gimp look and sweat in your eyes.

krixmeister

Buffs donts help me – but that’s because I’m such a sweaty git that it just fills up with sweat then drips. I haven’t used them, but as Jam Bo said I think the Halo may be the solution.

binners

qtip has nailed it. This is what you want to be aiming for

peterob

+100 for sweatgutr

really works, just need to loosen helmet one notch (on rear tensioning gizmo, RocLoc thingy), so it fits comfortably.

Doesn’t absorb sweat, just lets it run off to side of head, so doesn’t stay soggy

Really notice it when i forget to bring it, also not as obvious as pirates or john mcenroe stylee headbands

cheers_drive

+200 for the sweatgutr

It’s good at stopping your glasses steaming up too

jam-bo

really works, just need to loosen helmet one notch (on rear tensioning gizmo, RocLoc thingy), so it fits comfortably.

with the halo, i’ve just removed the brow pad on my helmet. kinda redundant now.

zippykona

Take sweat band, a thin one, cut it in half. Sew Velcro on it. Remove forehead pads put sweat band in . All the sweat band benefits without looking like a dork. Plus you get 2 and you can rotate them in the washing machine.

GrahamS

This is what you want to be aiming for

I fail to see how homosexual puppets will help. 😕

Oh right.. the monobrow..

+200 for the sweatgutr

Hmm… looks interesting, but decidedly “orthopaedic” without a helmet, even on their more-attractive-than-me models:

(Maybe I just need to give in and wear a lid)

crikey
    Free Member

Get a bloody cycling cap!

It’s what they were invented for, and they work under helmets if you wear one.

Don’t pull it right down on your head like the urban hipster knobbers do, it should sit so the top of it is loose and capillary action will wick sweat upwards to be dried off by the wind.

NOT like this:

Like this:

Or this:

Mike_D
    Free Member

I’ve tried vaseline above the eyebrows when running, it worked. Much like that gutter thing except cheap and not gimpy looking (on account of being invisible).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ref the sweat gutr – where on earth can i get one of these gizmos in the uk? im sick to death of hairproducts running down my face and into my oakleys/eyes stinging and smearing my lenses – i cant wear a buff or headband as its to hot with one!

tell me please where to get one!!!!!

allthepies
    Free Member

amazon. £16 quid mind 😯

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

no importers in the uk? i know we dont get super hot days in the uk – but most mtb’ers are fatty bum bums whom sweat a fair bit, cant believe this market hasnt been attacked here yet!!!?!!?!!?

grum
    Free Member

Does the sweatgutr thing fit ok with a helmet? Looks like it could get in the way/be uncomfy.

GrahamS

no importers in the uk?

UK Distributor: SweatHead
    Phone: 44-7921-761852

According to http://www.sweatgutr.com/find-a-distributor-sports.html

I suspect amazon would be easier though.

most mtb’ers are fatty bum bums whom sweat a fair bit

I resemble that remark!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

im sick to death of hairproducts running down my face

don’t put them on then if cycling?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

turner – sometimes i go straight from work so dont have time to get wash hair etc etc etc obviously if its at the weekend its not an issue but riding a fair few times in summer heat at night its a problem – plus its not just hairproduct, just the sweat in general especially as my forehead seems to sweat 100x more than anyone elses 🙁

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve tried vaseline above the eyebrows when running, it worked. Much like that gutter thing except cheap and not gimpy looking (on account of being invisible).

This!

Got a buff but don’t really want to wear that in height of summer.

GrahamS

Had a look. I don’t have any Vaseline handy, but I’ve got a tube of “Booty Relax” from Ann Summers, will that do?

teamslug
    Free Member

I normally put a strip of silicone bath sealant just above my eyebrows then peel it off after the ride

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Having a lush monobrow works, according to my girlfriend.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it by quite some margin…must read thread before posting!

kimbers

fwiw urge enduro-matics come with a ‘gangsta-pad’ to mop up sweat

glenh
    Free Member

Stop plucking your eyebrows. Stopping sweat is what they are for.

jam-bo

i cant wear a buff or headband as its to hot with one!

i thought that but actually its not too bad. not having sore eyes makes up for it anyway.

jota180
    Free Member

As above, just get a roadie cap and be done with it

jota180
    Free Member

i cant wear a buff or headband as its to hot with one!

With a buff/bandanna thing, there’s some evaporation chemistry stuff going on, coupled with the sun not being directly on your head make it cooler not hotter

Jamie
    Free Member

Had a look. I don’t have any Vaseline handy, but I’ve got a tube of “Booty Relax” from Ann Summers, will that do?

Depending on how relaxing it is, it might make you look like you’ve had a stroke.

JoeG
    Free Member

Halo headband FTW. Used one for years, works way better than everything else that I have tried. They have lots of different versions here

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I use a black buff cut into thirds, one small strip as a headband, works for about an hour and a half before the sweat soaks through and starts dripping. Probably doesn’t help your “not looking like a gimp” obsession though.

GrahamS

Update: I’ve been using the Buff pirate-style since this thread. (STW buff, naturally)

Works very well thanks

I have had a few people shouting “Yarrrrr” or “Bannnnnnndaaaannnnnaaaaa”, so I don’t think it has entirely fitted into the “not looking like a gimp” requirement.

Oh well, the missus like it (but insists on calling me Captain Jack)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘I can't see! Any good solutions to sweat in the eyes?’ is closed to new replies.