Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I can't make my forking mind up…
  • steve1867
    Free Member

I posted yesterday about a new fork for £300, got loads of advice and am now down to two:

RockShox REBA RLT 2012 – 120mm Dual Air Lockout (link)

or…

RockShox Revelation 426 Air U-Turn Forks (2009) (link)

Singletrack, which would you buy and why?

(xc/all mountain use, 75kgs, going onto Cannondale Trail SL)

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is the spirit recomend another fork

sometimes I just love this Forum

steve1867
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge -I think 150mm travel will be too much for my frame, otherwise perfect! (unless anyone has 150mm forks on a trail SL?)

So what’s the vote?

honourablegeorge

Steve – those revs are easily dropped down to 130 with supplied spacers, and they’re better, lighter & cheaper than either of the two you’ve mentioned.

426 Revs are heavy – I think the steerer is steel.

steve1867
    Free Member

Thanks honourablegeorge, when you say easily, what’s involved in fitting the spacers?

would it void warranty (guess not if they are supplied)

are there any downsides to doing this?

steve1867
    Free Member

also, if I did do that to the Revs, what are the benefits over the Rebas, they look pretty similar on paper?

Thanks!
    Steve

prezet
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack – would it be safe to take the Revs down to 120 with a extra spacer?

honourablegeorge

It involves sliding off the lowers, removing an o=ring or two, slide spacer on, put it back together. I did mine, and didn’t even lose any oil, there’s an easy guide to it on Bikeradar.

No downsides to doing it, they’re designed to work that way (Rebas can be dropped to 100 in the same way)

The Revs have a Motion Control DNA damper, which is a step up from the damper in the Reba, as far as I know (someone else will have to explain why)

I’d see the extra 10mm travel with 20mm more in reserve if needed) as a good thing too – but you might not need or want the extra travel.

winrya
    Free Member

I’d space down the 2012 revs and go for them. Revs are superb forks and if you decided to go for a bigger frame in the future you can go back to 150mm. Also, you’d sell the revs much more easily than the rebas

honourablegeorge

prezet – Member
    Sorry to hijack – would it be safe to take the Revs down to 120 with a extra spacer?

130 is as far as they go.

prezet
    Free Member

Are the RLT versions of the Revs worth the extra bit of ££ over the RL’s? Any major differences between the two?

honourablegeorge

I got the RLs – the T adds a threshold adjuster, which I’d never use. They all have the same Motion Control DNS damper.

prezet
    Free Member

the T adds a threshold adjuster

I’m guessing as I have no idea what that would do, that I wouldn’t need it 😀

steve1867
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, I think I’m pretty much set on the Revs, but…

Does anyone have a measurement for the Revs from crown to axle? (I cant find a spec sheet anywhere)

Also, my understanding is that the spacer will shorten the length from crown to axle by 20mm? is this correct?

Steve

Toasty

the T adds a threshold adjuster

It’s even more minor than that, the RLT has an external adjuster, the RL you need an allen key. Can’t say I’d pay a penny extra for the RLT to be honest.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I can't make my forking mind up…’ is closed to new replies.