Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • I can’t jump for sh*t HELP
  • adstick
    Free Member

That Rowan Sorrell’s a bit good isn’t he, not seen him riding trails before. To be fair that big 8 pack that he’s boosting so much in the vid is pretty ‘advanced’…

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

In all fairness i never said anything about pumping, on the approach to a jump I do pump the bike down ….. well before the jump so by the time I hit the lip the bike has travelled back up and in effect boosts me off the lip I do not however pull up on the bars, the tech for a bmx is a bit different as you don’t have any suspension to aid / hinder you. I have seen lots of people hit jumps and pull up on the bars really hard… they never get a smooth transition and tend to loose the pedals a lot. I do agree if you want to do huge boosts you need to work the bike hard, not really something a person learning to jump needs to know or try, if anything they could end up crashing trying as there is so much going on, im relating this to a simple smooth jump without trying to go for a height record, I will find a vid of my mate pulling a gap jump into a step down, small pump into the jump, lean back a bit to get the front level and job done. If your near Bristol I am happy to demonstrate, im no steve peat but I can jump well enough (unless I crash), another good video to watch is Sam Fowler, if you search for Sam Fowler at Still Woods he is very smooth and his technique is spot on!! There are some photos of my mate jumping to give you an idea of what the local jumps are like… I will sort the video out, this all said do whatever works for you and have fun!

MrAgreeable

Isn’t Sam’s ability in the air partly down to the fact that he’s a skinny bugger? He looks like an x-ray of your average downhiller!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO / IME you need someone who can jump to teach you the basics. GW off here kindly spent a couple of hours showing me and that did the trick – whiles still having no style and never going huge I can now safely take a small jump – even on tha tandem 🙂

Learning to bunny hop first is probably the best Idea

Sandwich

Sit down or it goes everywhere 🙂

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I saw a new remedy in the LBS where someone sat down on a big jump…. his 3 day old ride is now snapped

poppa
    Free Member

Try videoing yourself jumping? Sometimes what you think you’re doing, and what you’re actually doing can be quite different!

enfht
    Free Member

To the guys who can’t jump, did you never BMX as kids?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘I can’t jump for sh*t HELP’ is closed to new replies.