Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I can't decide which bike to buy. £1300'ish
  • monksie
    Free Member

I’m about to get a new bike assisted by Cyclescheme and I can’t decide which. Not usually an issue for me but I’m really struggling this time. I live (almost) and ride (extensively) in the Peak District with a habit of going out for a couple of hours at breakfast and not making it home until after tea time.
    My most recent bikes which I liked were Giant XTC carbon and Cannondale Flash 1. My preference is for shortish travel hardtails and the two currently topping the list are Trek Superfly 6 (might squeeze in a 7 if the wife isn’t looking) and a Scott Scale 950. Anything else I should be looking at of this ilk and price?
    Not convinced a full suspension bike at this price will have nice enough parts and I’m sold on the 29 wheel size.
    Pauls have a Flash 1 in large which is tempting but I should be on a medium. I’m only thinking about this one as I found my medium flash to be a little cramped and changing the Opi stem was too hard to do (the effing thing wouldn’t undo!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Giant XTC should be on the list, Shirley? Some fine riding 29ers from them.

monksie
    Free Member

Good call actually. I might give an XTC another go. Not keen on the overdrive stem though. Similar issue to the Cannondale in that changing the stem was not so straight forward.

fudge9202
    Free Member

The Cannondale Habit?
    Sorry never saw 29er

v666ern
    Free Member

thought they’d changed all of the overdrive stuff out now?

edit –

https://www.bird.bike/product/zero-tr-nx/#configuration

Bird?

mboy
    Free Member

Check out the Whyte 629… £1125 with 1×11, tubeless wheels and tyres, 120mm fork etc. Only thing it hasn’t got is a dropper, which you can add on and stay within your £1300 budget.

monksie
    Free Member

Glad I asked. Thanks for the pointers, so far. One of the links has pointed me indirectly to a Felt Nine 2 or 3. Way over budget but it only weights 23lb before I start swapping parts to make it lighter! Hmmmm £1700…. wonder how long I’d be in the dog house for?

monksie
    Free Member

No interest in a dropper post. I’d pretty much discounted a Whyte due to the poor spec. for the price. I’m definitely looking at XC rather than long travel, slack angled bikes. Almost exclusively for Peak and Wales riding. Very rarely trail centres, I’m not a massive fan to say the least, of trail centres.

mboy
    Free Member

Almost exclusively for Peak and Wales riding. Very rarely trail centres, I’m not a massive fan to say the least, of trail centres.

That’s where you’ve confused me then… Cos to me I’d happily ride trail centres on pretty much anything, steep angled XC bikes without a dropper post included. But Peaks & Welsh natural riding means something a lot different to me than it does to you… Dropper post, slack angles, and big grippy tubeless tyres are a must for me for that kind of riding!

monksie
    Free Member

Just not my kind of bike, I suppose. I hate over complicated things with cables all over the place. My saddle height is set and it stays there. I didn’t really use the 3 point adjustment on the Fox fork on my XTC. It was either locked out or it wasn’t. Fork lockout (non remote), 2.0 tyres, SLR saddle, flat and not too wide bar, 6 degree, 110mm’ish stem is more my kind of thing. I’m really drawn to the Felt, now I’ve seen it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Shame CRC only do one (expensive) version of that Rapide 29er HT now.

Maybe there are more 2017 models in the pipeline though? Looks like a great frame for XC.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Can’t teach an old dog new tricks eh.

Your loss, you stick with the steep angled XC for peaks riding. Enjoy the ups!

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve narrowed it down to:
    Scott Scale 950 2017 https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-scale-950-2017-mountain-bike-EV286098
    and
    Trek Superfly 6 2017 https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-superfly-6-2017-mountain-bike-EV286573
    Any experiences, expectations, known issues or benefits of either over the other would be gratefully received.
    My only definable issue at the moment is I’m not a huge fan of Sram components so the Trek is losing some ground.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I can't decide which bike to buy. £1300'ish’ is closed to new replies.