Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I cant bring myself to buy some Rockshox bottomless Rings
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I want to try some bottomless rings for my monarch shock but I cant bring myself to pay £13.99 for some branded red elastic bands. I am going buy them to avoid bodging with red elastic bands the postman drops or insulation tape like others do but I just cant bring myself to hit the buy button. I am trying to tell myself I’m buying the end result and not just a bag of ridiculously expensive bands. Its not working.
    Can someone please come and click buy for me?

bigjim

you could try elastic bands but they might melt with the oil in the sleeve

legend
    Free Member

just use unwanted Livestrong wristbands

kayla1
    Free Member

Can you not just use a glob of grease or a scoot of oil to do the same thing, or does that not work with RS shocks?

edit- nitrile o-rings?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/seal-o-ring-kits/0756034/

cp

they’re just to consume some air volume. putting varying amounts of grease in will have exactly the same effect.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I don’t fancy bodging it with any other solutions even though I know they will achieve exactly the same result. Just in case anything goes wrong I want my warranty to be in tact. I know it would be hard for them to prove otherwise. I have already broken one shock so don’t want any reason for them to not sort it if I break another.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

£15 for three?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Just in case anything goes wrong I want my warranty to be in tact.

Seems a small price to pay then, and not hard to justify to yourself surely?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I know really.
    Its more the fact they can charge £14 for a few elastic bands and suckers like me pay it.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I have 3 spare/ unused

andysredmini
    Free Member

handybendyhendo
    I’m interested but not at £15 for 3 when you get a bag of 8 for £13.99

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Does anyone happen to know the size of the bands? I’d also like to bodge but would like to get an idea of how much volume I’m reducing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sell what you don’t use. That’s what I did with the old Fox RP spacers.

Northwind

Is it a dual air chamber deal, these? If not, the traditional way is just to splodge some grease into the can.

jonnym92

I am the same. Happy to go splits with you if you fancy that? Or anyone with spares I’d be happy to purchase a couple.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Mine is the monarch plus debonair I think. I have ordered some now and will sell whatever I don’t need. jonnym92 Ill let you know first.

Any idea how many people normally use? I presume that’s a how longs a piece of string question and It depends on rider weight, riding style and suspension design.
    The bike is a nomad and I weigh about 12.5 stone. I’m not fussy with suspension but quite easily bottom the shock out on drops over about 10 foot. Or is it a case that I will always bottom on these drops to have a bike that’s ridable on more normal terrain

tmb467
    Free Member

Old inner tube. Cut off a piece as long as the aircan

Slice into 8 equal bits – remove aircan sleeve, slide rubber bands up and put as many on as you want to try

slide unused ones onto the sleeve to avoid having to completely remove it when you need to change the volume

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Thought they were 13 quid each

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I cant bring myself to buy some Rockshox bottomless Rings’ is closed to new replies.