Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I can't believe there isn't a secateurs thread on here.
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I need to buy some secateurs for my Dad for a birthday present (and was frankly shocked that no thread already existed on here).
    I’ve heard Falco are a good choice (possibly number 10 as he is left-handed).
    Are rotating handles a good choice? They are supposed to be easier on joints but take a bit of getting used to.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve been impressed with Bahco saws (pruning saw and a bow saw) but not tried their secateurs.

thepurist

Felco are good, but stick with the classic models rather than the fancy rotating thingammys. If he ever wears them out the factory will do a full refurb for a reasonable cost and they’re back like new.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What size blades?
    Will they be Enduro(se) specific?
    Oh, and red ones cut faster. FACT.

zoo200
    Free Member

*like* ^^

eckinspain
    Free Member

“What are my secateurs worth?”

thepurist

Cap’n – you missed the great anvil v. bypass debate 😉 Anvils are the orange 5 of the secateur world…

drlex
    Free Member

Falco?
    That was about the last time Austria had any impact on European pop.

As said; avoid rotating handles.

eckinspain
    Free Member

anyway thanks thepurist.

I’m waiting from confirmation on his secateuring technique (he’s left-handed but then he plays golf right-handed so who knows)

AlexSimon
    mefty
    Free Member

Felco, I am left dominant but pretty ambidextrous so use No. 2, no 9 are supposed to be for the sinister.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have just been through this. Ended up ordering 7 pairs so my mum could pick the exact ones she liked, then sent the others back to Amazon.

I now know more about bypass, anvil, ergo etc secateurs than I ever wanted to.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Jamie, which ones did your mum choose in the end?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Felco No. 2.

Easy to remove and sharpen the blade or replace it, just ginve it a good clean with meths after every use and dont overwork it. The lock button on my first pair is a little loose now but they are over 30 years old and only on their 3rd blade!

mogrim

Falco?
    That was about the last time Austria had any impact on European pop.

Excuse me??? And what about this weekend’s Eurovision Song Contest?

Edit: that photo’s a bit bigger than I thought it would be 🙂

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Hard to look past the Felco’s for my money. There’s a set that comes with a small stone to keep them honed.
    As thepurist said: bypass and anvil do different jobs.

Avoid wobbly rotating handles – they are the egg-rings of the secateur world.

there’s an obvious pruning joke, but I’ll leave it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, which ones did your mum choose in the end?

She didn’t want to spend more than £20, so that did exlude the Felco FEL2 Model 2, which are very popular. So went for these for £12:

Amazon Linky.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Thanks all – Felco model 2 ordered.

ninfan
    Free Member

Bloody hell, Cheryl Kerl’s let herself go a bit since the split, hasn’t she?

used and abused my Felco 2’s that I got years ago – still going strong

I noticed costco do a deal on some copies a while ago, which seemed like great value – my mum got some and loves them.

drlex
    Free Member

Mogrim – you’re right; I missed putting “until this weekend” in my post to make the reference to the lovely Ms Würst

brooess
    Free Member

What secateurs for Afan?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I can't believe there isn't a secateurs thread on here.’ is closed to new replies.