Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • I can only wink with one eye
  • ivnickkate
    Free Member

Only the left one 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you do it with both, it’s called blinking.

fasthaggis

I have an eye that does not wink 😯

starsh78
    Free Member

I’m wondering how many people are simultaneously trying this!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Once more, I thought this was going to be a filthy thread.

But I can actually only convincingly wink with the right, with the left I look like a stroke victim…

mefty
    Free Member

You’re wrong – you are quite clearly winking with your right one in your post.

nealglover
    Free Member

You’re wrong – you are quite clearly winking with your right one in your post.

Er….. That’s his left.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

I needed a mirror to see what I looked like

mefty
    Free Member

Imagine it’s his face – do you describe your left eye as the one on your left or that on the left of the person facing you?

nealglover
    Free Member

I describe my left, as whatever is on my left.

Or the left of me when talking about body parts.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Unklehomered, yep me too, except i think i could win a gurning contest

Tom83

I was expecting a dirty post…

Can fully wink with both eyes.

GrahamS

Some right winkers on this thread…

zimbo
    Free Member

I can only wink with one eye

…I thought this had been started by a south african, and they meant with one hand

richmtb

Can only wink with my left

But can raise my right eyebrow on its own but not the left

Cougar

I can do the Elvis lip curl with the right side of my top lip but not my left.

Is there anything left in the known universe that we’ve not now discussed on STW? I love this place.

vixalot
    Free Member

Eye dominance, ie if you are right handed you are most lightly to be right eyed but not always !, you use your dominant eye to look through things ie camera view finder etc, and its harder to close your dominant eye. So I will let you lot get back to winking 😉

Cougar

its harder to close your dominant eye.

Is that actually true? Every day’s a school day.

I’m left eye dominant, but (through years of practice sleeping) can close either eye with equal ability. Maybe I’m eyebidextrous.

vixalot
    Free Member

Yes you get some people who wont be able to close either eye, some can shut either eye, when you look at someone sometimes you can spot there dominant eye- eyebrow sometimes higher and / or it moves more, 😉
    It is really strange/funny when you see someone pick up a rifle for the first time and try and look through the sights when they are right handed but left eyed or the other way around, more ladies are cross dominant than men 😉

druidh
    Free Member

My daughter can only wink with one eye – some sort of congenital defect.

vixalot
    Free Member

Eye dominance for little people is normally sorted by the time they are about 10 years old

slownorm
    Free Member

Only a left eye winker here..!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

does that explain why I write with my right hand, shoot left handed, use my left eye for cameras and telescopes, play guitar left handed but am right sided for most other sports – snowboarding & surfing etc?

nealglover
    Free Member

Rogerthecat.

Would say you are left handed.

You probably write with your right hand because you were taught to (happened a lot)

But all the other things you learned at a later stage so chose for yourself what felt most natural.

(surfing and snowboarding are not relevant really as riding both Goofy and Regular are not considered to be connected to left/right handedness)

garage-dweller

What Neal said. I am left eye dominant. Write and do most things with my right hand for preference but other than writing can work left handed pretty much as well (eg mechanical stuff). Apparently I was left handed before I started school.

Cougar

Eye dominance for little people is normally sorted by the time they are about 10 years old

Not true I don’t think, any more than ‘hand dominance’ is. I am, very definitely, left eye dominant, and have been since I first tested in my early teens (ask any archer).

Would say you are left handed.

You probably write with your right hand because you were taught to (happened a lot)

Sounds about right. Which foot would you kick a ball with?

I’m completely left-dominant. Left handed, eyed, footed. I do very, very few things naturally right handed. Play pool is about the only thing that jumps to mind; I figured relatively recently that this is why I’ve always sucked at pool so forced myself to relearn, now I play equally badly either way round.

I shoot a bow right-handed, but that’s because when I learned it was the only equipment available. Naturally, I wanted to shoot left-handed. When I finally got access to a LH bow it was so ingrained that I couldn’t swap. It’s a bad combination because for archery your dominant eye is what’s critical, not your dominant hand.

I use cutlery “right-handed,” but I’d contest that right-handed people use cutlery the wrong way round. Ie, with just a fork or a spoon you’d use your right hand, but with a knife and fork your fork swaps hands? I’m sorry, that’s weird, and I’ve never understood it. I shovel food in my mouth with my left hand, because I’m left-handed, irrespective of what my right hand happens to be doing.

Cougar

Incidentally, it’s dead easy to test for eye dominance.

Get a sheet of paper and make a pinhole in it. Hold the paper at arm’s length, and look through the hole at a point in the distance, a small detail in a picture on the wall or something.

Bring the paper to your face, looking through the hole at the detail all the time. The hole will come to one eye. This is your dominant eye. You might want to repeat the test a few times, it should be largely consistent.

Veering wildly back on target, it’ll be interesting to see how this correlates with your winkage.

You’ll all be doing it tomorrow.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I find it difficult to close my left eye whilst keeping my right open. And being right handed means that when I play with shotguns I have to hold it ‘lefty’. Doesn’t seem to hinder me 😈

logical
    Free Member

I got three posts down and wondered if this thread had been started just because the winky smiley only winks with the left eye?

Maybe I was slow.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi Logical, i’m not that clever, i was playing funny faces with my children, and had to explain that i couldn’t wink with my right eye.

The only problem i’ve had, is when i get a fly/grit/debris whilst cycling, i have to close both eyes, apparently it is hilarious when i come to a sudden stop, or crash, or both. 🙂 Maybe i should start wearing glasses.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I can do joined up blinking for hours on end.

vixalot
    Free Member

Shooting, archrey etc it is better to shoot with your dominant eye not your dominant hand ( even if you do feel like a one legged man/woman in a a*ss kicking contest) 😉
    I had four 8 year olds on a course today all right handed 3 turned out left eyed one thought he had to learn to write again 😕

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘I can only wink with one eye’ is closed to new replies.