• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I can only hop in one direction
  • andrewrchambers
    Free Member

Started a thread the other day about riding ruts. Many suggested I get a bit better at hopping so I can get out of trouble if required.

So I spent a bit of time today trying to learn how to bunnyhop. I’ve pretty much got the hang of it, but when hopping sideways I can only go to the right. If I do a standing hop and bring both wheels off the ground at the same time I can just about if I try really hard move a foot or so to the left but if I try to bring the front wheel up first I just fail catastrophically. Is this normal behavior or am I so right handed that I will only ever be able to get out of ruts in one direction? Unusually I’m actually left handed but I assume I must be a right handed cyclist.

Any tips or shall I just get back out and keep practicing?

Also any tips for not feeling like a tit when you’re out in public wheelying and bunnyhopping all over the place like an amateur would be appreciated…

Northwind

I can only sidehop if I sort of sidle up to it without thinking about it. If I try and plan one it all goes horribly wrong.

As for not feeling like a tit- let sour faced folks who’re having no fun sneer if they like, makes me feel all the better that I’m out having a laugh.

smiff
    Free Member

which foot have you got forward? could well be a case of switching your forward/back foot so your hips face the other way.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

Odd that it’s human nature to find going to the left more natural.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I was surprised when I started riding that I prefer left foot forward so perhaps Petes post sums it up

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

which foot have you got forward? could well be a case of switching your forward/back foot so your hips face the other way.

I just ran out the door with a grin like Eric Cartman after he’s beaten Kyle at something and tried this new “Other foot forward” technique.

I now have a hole in my jeans and a bruised arse from my seat – must lower next time.

I’ll keep at it.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Usually people find it easier to hop into the direction of their front foot. So if you have your right foot forward then you will find it easier to hop to the right and also spin anti-clockwise. Left foot forward will normal spin clockwise and hop to the left.

Changing which foot you have forward will probably just make you feel even more clumsy hoping in your oposite direction than you did before. I’d stick with your preferred stance and just practice practice practice.

glupton1976
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VC9hbibesY[/video]

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m completely ‘s$£t footed’ (bmx nomenclature for leading with wrong foot) which leads to much heckling at the skate park.
    It has it’s benefits though as it means I can do really nice one footed tables.You’ve do have to watch out for ‘dog piss’ whips though 😳

Lifer
    Free Member

It’s just practise, try hopping up/down kerbs on either side.

jes
    Free Member

Wow your like the Derek Zoolander of the bike world – an omni hopper 🙂

smiff
    Free Member

haha well, it’s important to think of footwork, but i guess hopping is not like cornering where you really need to learn both ways. to me right forward feels wrong, but works better, if that makes any sense.
    sorry about the jeans and arse.

jedi

lean your body and look where you want to go

wwaswas

lean your body and look where you want to go

*falls off chair*

jedi

😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I can only hop in one direction’ is closed to new replies.