Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • I built my first…..
  • sheldona
    Free Member

pair of wheels last night. Very satisfying job. 🙂 and thy’re round and true 🙂

Please excuse the state of the carpet, I was stupid enough to bath the dogs then let them come into the room when their coats were malting 🙁

freeandsingle
    Free Member

Nice job! Did you follow Sheldon Browns tips or someone elses? Wheel jig?

rOcKeTdOg

nice, only every build non disc so far

will
    Free Member

They look brilliant!

sheldona
    Free Member

No built them by thinking about how they should be laced and then trued them in a wheel truing stand. Can’t wait to build another pair now, just can’t afford another pair of the above 🙁

crispybacon
    Free Member

Wow they look all-white & it looks like you’ve done a wheelie good job there 😉

IGMC

MrNutt
    Free Member

carpet? for a moment I thought that was the fabric of time itself!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Is that the 20mm or 24mm CK front?
    Did you get the Valve hole in the right place ( a mistake I made a few times). 😳

sheldona
    Free Member

Its a 24mm King in Mango and yeah I think the valve hole is correct although on King hubs I don’t think its quite so crutial?

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you get it wrong it just makes it slightly more difficult do get the valve cap off as the spokes are converging instead of diverging if that makes sense.

sheldona
    Free Member

Ah OK then yes the valve is in the right place.
    I thought you meant if you look through the valve hole you can see the Chris King logo. King logos are written round the hub rather than across hence I think it doesn’t really matter!

gingerflash

LOL, you thought the valve hole placement was to read the label through the hole??? How often do you do that?

It’s hard to see where the valve hole is on those. Is it that mark directly opposite the Velocity logo?

r6ymy
    Free Member

Did you use a spoke tension meter or do it by ear?

singlespeedstu

Has no one spotted what’s wrong with these wheels?

😉

sheldona
    Free Member

When you build a wheel I’ve always been told that that you should be able to see the logo through the valve hole and it was true on my other wheels as I checked to see if they were pulling my leg! Its in the middle of the Velocity logo

sheldona
    Free Member

LOL @ Stu, they’re NOT 29ers 🙂

R6ymy, by ear then SinglespeedPunk checked them and signed them off as a job well done!

Goz
    Free Member

Valve clearance?

gingerflash

Oh well, it’s the perfect excuse to buy a new Lezyne pump, with an old-fashioned connector tube. 🙂

thekingofsweden

Nice one mate mango a gogo. 8)
    Did you find out what the wheel dishing stick was for then ? Stress relieving the spokes etc etc
    Maybe some people think its better to see the hub logos through the valve hole !!!!!!!
    And whats that all about not being able to get the valve cap off FFS.
    Hey Stu now its your turn for the knights of the wheel building niche.

singlespeedstu

They’re not 26er either though are they….

Half in the closset/half out the closset. 😉

KoS I have servants to build my wheels and polish my armour.

thekingofsweden

OOOHHHH Stu speak to me more 😯

sheldona
    Free Member

LOL @ Stu yeah they’re no 26ers either 🙂

We normally have the butlers do the dirty work but due to the economic climate at the moment we’ve fired them :0

mboy
    Free Member

Is that the 20mm or 24mm CK front?

Same hub, different axle/fittings. Can convert either into the other just like you can a Hope Pro 2 between QR and 20mm!

Half in the closset/half out the closset.

This IS Sheldon we are talking about. Come on, everybody know’s he’s a full on gayer, he just can’t even admit it to himself, hence all the halfway house stuff, including a CX bike built up with lightweight roadie parts! 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

mboy, sit down and be quiet will you 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

I want those to match my white bike!!

they’re 650b wheels aren’t they 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

Yup for my new Hardtail 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

650B – the wheel size for those with no conviction! 🙂

Well done on the build though.
    Just finished putting a huge Salsa Gordo on a 20mm hub for the new forks coming soon fingers crossed.

Goz
    Free Member

And a wide choice of tyres are available….

sheldona
    Free Member

And a wide choice of tyres are available….

Its a good job I only need 2 tyres then 🙂

markenduro
    Free Member

Looking good. Can you try them in a Ti456 with pikes for me and report back?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hang on. Not so fast Sheld……

So you laced and trued a pair of wheels. Great, well done, but ride them for a month or so then tell us again.

Any fool can build a pair of wheels. It’s whether they stay true, and do the job that counts.

SB 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

SB, SinglespeedPunk checked them over, he’s built wheels for years and said they’re OK. That’ll do for me 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member

Hang on. Not so fast Sheld……

So you laced and trued a pair of wheels. Great, well done, but ride them for a month or so then tell us again.

Any fool can build a pair of wheels. It’s whether they stay true, and do the job that counts.

SB [:)]

It’s alright stratobiker, Sheldon’s a “Ginger Beer” by day, I’m sure he managed ok 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Half in the closset/half out the closset

Bit like “pre op tranny p0rn” 🙂

Build was pretty good, a little up-and-down but not too much for a first build. Spoke tension was a little low but again that comes with practice. Oiling the spoke threads would be a good option next time to reduce wind-up and ease the tensioning.

7/10

SSP

sheldona
    Free Member

I’m not queer in the daytime 🙂
    7/10 cheeky fecker! worth an 8 at least!

bomberman
    Free Member

was that the first time you’d ever had a go? i wouldnt dare use good hubs and rims on my first attempt incase i messed it up. got some hope hubs/dt rims and spokes ready to go but think i’ll get em built

Stoner
    Free Member

If you mess it up, it wont make the hub and rim useless*. You just undo it and have another go, best way of learning. Use whatever bits you want IMO.

*Well you could possibly (remotely) do something horrendous but even then I doubt you’d break the flange or rip out an eyelet or something terminal.

bomberman
    Free Member

i see what you mean. still though, respect where respect is due….

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘I built my first…..’ is closed to new replies.