Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I broke my heart (my knee actually) in Contin
  • allankelly

So, 10 laps in, 2AM, solo SS, snow, tired, zero miles an hour, over the top on the loose rocky bit… wham onto my right knee. Swear, shout, curse, limp. Back on, rode the 3 or 4 miles back.
    Set the alarm for 0600 – and couldn’t move the leg. Sssh-eye-t.

Thanks ot the Medics who came to see me and give me ice packs, thanks to my wife who had to do everything from then on (cleaning, packing, driving…).

Here’s my current legwear. Anyone recommend some knee pads?

I think I’ll keep the leg.

Cheers, al.

Steve928
    Free Member

All the best for a speedy recovery.

Which loose rocky bit was it: somewhere just beyond the bridge and the Led Zepp caravan?

epicyclo

Stupid zero mph crash? Me too. Must be something to do with being SS solo – lack of race beer maybe?

I broke a rib when I was ahead of my target. Did one more lap, but that was stupid.

allankelly

Thanks for the sympathy! The Good News is I’ve raised over £500 (inc Gift Aid) for Sick Kids: Just Giving – Allan Kelly’s Strathpuffer 09 Page. My employer will top it up too, so should be in the region of £750. Excellent!

The specific section: to keep things moving, I sectioned the course in my head.
    Sec 1. Start to the rock gap & the ambulance.
    Sec 2. “Cleats don’t fail me now” up to the caravan.
    Sec 3. Over the granite past the skeleton.
    Sec 4. *I fell here* the loose rocky singletrack.
    Sec 5. Turn right onto very narrow singletrack through a young wood, up to the Pallet Seat and down again.
    Sec 6. Steep up at a marshall station to a level section past ponds with little drainage ditches.
    Sec 7. Through a narrow gate and onto a muddy descent.
    Sec 8. After the wide RH curve with the view, sharp LH up into the woods. Up, Up, UP.
    Sec 9. Down, down, gloop, finish.

Cheers, al.

MrNutt
    Free Member

bad luck Al, time to buy a pair of Straits me old dear!

allankelly

Nutts old boy, qu’est que c’est les Straits?
    al.

Smee
    Free Member

That sucks mate. Why is it always the slow crashes that do the most damage?

Thats the same place that my back brake fell off.

It wasn’t you that did the comedy roll through the stream, fail to clear it, roll back into the stream, fall into the stream and get soaked thing was it?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I broke my heart (my knee actually) in Contin’ is closed to new replies.